elf Fair Halo Glow Liquid Filter ($14.00 for 1.06 oz.) is a very light golden beige with warm, peachier undertones and a fine, luminous sheen that wasn’t overly shimmery and had a glowing, dewy finish.
- Sheer, buildable coverage
- Applied well on its own or mixed in with products
- Added luminosity without being heavy
- Lightweight, fluid but almost a bit gel-like
- Long-wearing (8.5 hours as a highlighter, didn’t impact wear of foundations)
FURTHER READING: Formula Overview for details on general performance and characteristics (like scent).
- Urban Decay Universal (LE, $32.00) is less shimmery, cooler (90% similar).
- Charlotte Tilbury Fair (1) (P, $44.00) is lighter, cooler (90% similar).
- Auric Selenite (P, $45.00) is less shimmery, darker, warmer (90% similar).
- Auric Morganite 2.0 (P, $45.00) is lighter, cooler (85% similar).
- Lisa Eldridge Cosmic Rose (P, $38.00) is less shimmery, darker, cooler (85% similar).
- elf Medium (P, $14.00) is less shimmery, darker, cooler (85% similar).
- Auric Morganite (DC, $45.00) is less shimmery, lighter, cooler (85% similar).
- elf Fair-Light (P, $14.00) is more shimmery, darker (85% similar).
- Charlotte Tilbury Fair (2.5) (P, $44.00) is more shimmery, darker, warmer (85% similar).
- Becca Orbit (2) (P, $30.00) is darker, warmer (80% similar).
$14.00/1.06 oz. - $13.21 Per Ounce
The formula is billed as a "multi-purpose, liquid glow booster" that gives a "soft-focus" filter. It can be used on its own, over or under makeup, mixed with foundation, or as a standalone highlighter. It lived up to its claims, was easy to use, and didn't impede the wear of products I paired it with.
It worked to add all-over radiance when applied as a sheer layer over bare skin. I agree with the brand's recommendation to apply it all over with a sponge, as this ensured a very even, hydrated application that allowed me to build up the level of luminosity. It mixed well with thinner and thicker, sheerer and fuller coverage foundations without shortening their longevity or making them hard to apply.
As a standalone highlighter, they applied well with fingertips or brushes, though I found the easiest way to ensure over-application (that doe-foot is huge!) was to tap a bit on the back of my hand, then use a fingertip or stippling brush to apply to the high points of my face. I didn't have any issues with the formula lifting up base products.
It is very comparable to Charlotte Tilbury's Hollywood Flawless Filter (which also has several other similar competitors on the market), though I'd say the elf version has less of a fluid, thin feel. I think this helped it work better with thinner foundations as well as thicker, higher coverage formulations, and I didn't feel like it made anything better or worse--neutral--when used on its own or applied on the skin. At most, a little went a bit further as far as radiance and coverage went, than HFF.
Browse all of our elf Halo Glow Liquid Filter swatches.
Water (Aqua), Hydrogenated Didecene, Squalane, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, Octyldodecanol, Cetyl Peg/Ppg-10/1 Dimethicone, Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Isoamyl Laurate, Ethylhexyl Hydroxystearate, Hydrogenated Styrene/Isoprene Copolymer, Sodium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Caprylyl Glycol, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Hydrolyzed Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Disodium Edta, Tocopherol, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Aluminum Hydroxide, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Tin Oxide, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-Di-T-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891), Yellow Iron Oxide (Ci 77492), Red Iron Oxide (Ci 77491), Black Iron Oxide (Ci 77499), Bismuth Oxychloride (Ci 77163)
Disclaimer: Ingredient lists are as available by the brand (or retailer) at the time of publishing. Please always check product packaging, if it exists, for the ingredient list applicable to the product you're purchasing, or the brand or retailer's website for the most up-to-date ingredient list.