Dior Indpendent (823) Rouge Blush ($44.00 for 0.23 oz.) is a medium-dark taupe with neutral-to-warm undertones and a satin finish. It had semi-opaque, buildable pigmentation with a drier, more powdery texture that had some excess that kicked up in the pan. I’d recommend tapping off excess to ensure precision during application.
I applied this more as a contour powder in order to avoid unnecessary comments about it looking “bruised,” due to the way this type of hue interacts with my skin tone and undertone; the shadowy quality of the color certainly makes it usable as a contour shade for some skin tones and as a more barely-there neutral blush for deeper skin tones. The color went on evenly and blended out easily. It wore well for eight and a half hours on me before fading noticeably.
FURTHER READING: Formula Overview for details on general performance and characteristics (like scent).
- Chanel Notorious (LE, $45.00) is more shimmery, darker, cooler (90% similar).
- Sephora Tranquil (26) (P, $14.00) is less shimmery, lighter, cooler (90% similar).
- Anastasia Shadow (P, ) is less shimmery, more muted, warmer (85% similar).
- Anastasia Fawn (P, ) is less shimmery, darker, warmer (85% similar).
- Anastasia Dusk (LE, ) is less shimmery, darker, warmer (85% similar).
- NYX Taupe (P, $6.50) is less shimmery, cooler (85% similar).
- Inglot #504 (P, $15.00) is less shimmery, lighter, cooler (85% similar).
- Benefit Hoola Toasted (P, $30.00) is less shimmery, darker, warmer (80% similar).
- MAC Sepia (LE, $23.00) is less shimmery, darker, warmer (80% similar).
- Anastasia Mink (P, ) is less shimmery, darker, warmer (80% similar).
$44.00/0.23 oz. - $191.30 Per Ounce
The formula is supposed to have "intense, ultra-pigmented color that lasts," though under "formula," the brand states that it has "bold, yet buildable color." Most of the shades I tried were quite pigmented, but the denser, smoother consistency of the powder made it possible to apply less for more buildable coverage as they weren't too powdery nor too stiff in the pan to work with. They applied easily, blended out well, and stayed on for eight to nine hours on me. The powders did have a floral scent to them, though I did not notice the scent when applied to my skin (more in the compact).
Browse all of our Dior Rouge Blush swatches.