ColourPop Hack Ultra Glossy Lip ($6.00 for 0.09 fl. oz.) is a light-medium pink with subtle, warm undertones and pink glitter. The brand described the coverage as sheer, and I would describe it as sheer to semi-sheer coverage. The gloss was non-sticky, lightweight, and smooth on the lips, which made it comfortable to wear, but I did notice color had settled into my lip lines, despite the gloss applying evenly otherwise. It lasted for three hours on me and was hydrating.
- Urban Decay SPL (P, $20.00) is more shimmery (95% similar).
- Pat McGrath Divine Rose (P, $30.00) is less shimmery, more pigmented (90% similar).
- Urban Decay Naked (P, $20.00) is less shimmery (90% similar).
- NARS Orgasm (P, $26.00) is less shimmery, lighter (90% similar).
- Fenty Beauty Fu$$y (LE, $18.00) is lighter, warmer (90% similar).
- Bite Beauty Pink Pearl (P, $22.00) is more shimmery (90% similar).
- MAC Bidi Bidi Bom Bom (LE, $17.50) is more shimmery, cooler (90% similar).
- Colour Pop Well Nested (LE, $6.00) is less shimmery (90% similar).
- Anastasia Pink Tourmaline (LE, $16.00) is more shimmery, darker (90% similar).
- Pat McGrath Sunset Rose (P, $30.00) is more shimmery (90% similar).
$6.00/0.11 oz. - $54.55 Per Ounce
The formula is supposed to have "hi-shine" with a "non-sticky" texture that "feels amazing" and includes five finishes "from 3-D pearl to sheer tinted colour." They are designed to be a sheerer formula, so many shades are sheer with a smattering of shimmer or sparkle and then a few are more tinted with sheer to semi-sheer coverage but no shimmer. Each gloss has a short, brush-type applicator, which worked better than I expected and didn't leave streaky results behind (in general). They had a sweet, vanilla scent but no discernible taste.
The "Tinted" finish ("glass-like shine with tint of sheer colour and no shimmer") was the least consistent--sometimes prone to unevenness and getting into lip lines, particularly with deeper/richer shades, whereas Pearlescent ("glass-like shine with subtle shimmer") and Prismatic ("glass-like shine with floating multi dimensional pearl and glitters") are sheer to translucent with the major difference being finer shimmer in the Pearlescent finish and larger, more glitter-like particles in the Prismatic finish. Both finishes tended to look plush and more smoothing on my lips. The Creme finish is a "medium-coverage gloss with a creamy finish that does not contain any pearls or glitter." The Metallic is described as a "full-coverage gloss with a mix of pearl and metallic finishes."
The wear time varied by shade but the sheerer ones tended to wear between two and three hours as the formula was, indeed, non-sticky and smooth, which made them lighter-weight and comfortable to wear but shorter wearing. A lot of the sheerer shades ran together, so I would recommend just picking up one or two rather than several as the differences are likely to be lost! Also, keep in mind that sheerer lip colors can look different from person to person due to much of the natural lip color coming through.
Browse all of our Colour Pop Ultra Glossy Lip swatches.
DIMER DILINOLEYL DIMER DILINOLEATE, DIISOSTEARYL MALATE, ISOPROPYL MYRISTATE, TRIISOSTEARIN, SYNTHETIC BEESWAX, CALCIUM SODIUM BOROSILICATE, SILICA, STEARALKONIUM HECTORITE, PROPYLENE CARBONATE, BISMUTH OXYCHLORIDE (CI 77163), IRON OXIDES (CI 77492, 77499), MICA (CI 77019), RED 28 (CI 45410), TITANIUM DIOXIDE (CI 77891).
ColourPop Jiffy Ultra Satin Liquid Lipstick ($6.00 for 0.11 fl. oz.) is a muted, medium pink with neutral undertones and a semi-matte finish. It had rich, opaque color payoff that applied evenly. The texture was thin but very pigmented, so it spread easily and “dried down” to a semi-matte finish. This shade dried down more than most of the Ultra Satins have in the past, and the color had a tendency to pull apart along my deeper lip lines. The lipstick lasted for five and a half hours on me, and it was neither drying nor hydrating.
- MAC Baby's All Right (LE, $19.50) is cooler (90% similar).
- MAC Boca (LE, $19.50) is lighter, warmer (85% similar).
- NARS Bettina (P, $27.00) is more shimmery, darker (85% similar).
- NARS Le Freak (LE, $26.00) is lighter (85% similar).
- Colour Pop Tip Toe (LE, $7.00) is cooler, glossier (85% similar).
- Colour Pop Cami (P, $6.00) is darker, cooler (85% similar).
- Jaclyn Cosmetics Fussy (DC, $18.00) is darker, warmer (85% similar).
- Tom Ford Beauty Universal Appeal (P, $54.00) is lighter, warmer (85% similar).
- Bite Beauty Café (LE, $24.00) is warmer (90% similar).
- Flower Beauty Petal Kiss (P, $6.98) is warmer (90% similar).
$7.00/0.11 oz. - $63.64 Per Ounce
It is supposed to be a “lightweight, bold lipstick with a satin finish”liquid lipstick that is “extra intense colour saturation” and “long-wearing,” but the brand is quick to note that it is “not completely kiss proof.” The consistency is very light to lightweight with a thin to mousse-like consistency–they feel a little heavier going on than the Ultra Matte formula, but they don’t feel heavy on. They dry down somewhat, but it isn’t a full, flat dry down like matte liquid lipsticks, and when you press your lips together, there is moderate tackiness there, but I didn’t notice any lifting or separating of color by doing so.
They have been extremely long-wearing and comfortable to wear for the most part–it’s after ten hours or so that I notice my lips feeling a little dry–but six hours into wear and the colors have looked good post-meals/post-drinking. I think if you like the idea of longer-wearing, mostly matte lip color but find most liquid lipsticks too drying or too flat while not needing an ultra-hydrating formula, you might like these.
Browse all of our Colour Pop Ultra Satin Liquid Lipstick swatches.
ISODODECANE, DIISOSTEARYL MALATE, C10-18 TRIGLYCERIDES, HYDROGENATED POLYISOBUTENE, ORYZA SATIVA (RICE) BRAN WAX, DIMETHICONE CROSSPOLYMER, OCTOCRYLENE, SILICA SILYLATE, DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE , POLYETHYLENE, PROPYLENE CARBONATE, IRON OXIDES (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), RED 7 LAKE (CI 15850), TITANIUM DIOXIDE (CI 77891), YELLOW 6 LAKE (CI 15985).
ColourPop Chaps Ultra Matte Liquid Lipstick ($6.00 for 0.011 fl. oz.) is a deep purple with subtle, warm undertones and a semi-matte finish. While it is an Ultra Matte, it had an extraordinarily long dry down (a few minutes) and still had some sheen to it, which eventually wore down after a few hours of wear. The consistency was thin but richer in coverage and has more substance to it, and it yielded opaque, even coverage. I did have slight “cracking” when I smiled, though. The lipstick stayed on nicely for six hours before starting to break down, and it was somewhat drying after four hours of wear.
- Makeup Geek Electric Slide (LE, $12.00) is lighter, cooler (90% similar).
- MAC Potent Fig (LE, $19.00) is lighter, warmer (85% similar).
- Make Up For Ever M502 (P, $22.00) is lighter, glossier (85% similar).
- MAC Gunner (LE, $19.50) is lighter, brighter (85% similar).
- Illamasqua Kontrol (P, $24.00) is lighter, more muted (80% similar).
- Anastasia Violet (LE, $20.00) is lighter, cooler (80% similar).
- MAC Punk Couture (P, $19.50) is lighter, brighter (80% similar).
- NARS Wild Night (P, $26.00) is warmer (80% similar).
- MAC Leap of Delight (LE, $19.50) is lighter, brighter (80% similar).
$6.50/0.11 oz. - $59.09 Per Ounce
It is a long-wearing, pigmented lipstick that starts off glossy and dries down quickly to that super flat matte finish. They have minimal transfer with some of the lighter shades having almost none for the first few hours of wear, but any time you’ve had a meal, they lose that transfer-resistant quality to a noticeable degree. They tend to wear anywhere from six to ten hours with darker shades maintaining better color coverage and wear over a longer period of time.
Some shades get a little drying about two-thirds to three-fourths through the wear, while a few shades have been fairly non-drying even many hours into wear. They fade away evenly with most color loss occurring from the center of the lips if eating a more oil-based meal but the majority of color survives a meal.
Reapplication has been hit or miss and tends to depend on how well it wore away and how easily the shade applies normally, but reapplication tends to emphasize the lip’s natural texture significantly compared to initial application and gives lips a very wrinkled, dried-up look. I’ve layered gloss on top of some shades with moderate success, though it will obviously lose the matte finish and will transfer and I’ll get tiny flakes where the matte lip color has lifted by mixing with gloss but has been pretty minimal. The formula had no discernible taste or scent.
Browse all of our Colour Pop Ultra Matte Liquid Lipstick swatches.
ISODODECANE, DIISOPROPYL DIMER DILINOLEATE, NYLON-12, TRIMETHYLSILOXYSILICATE, SILICA, POLYPROPYLSILSESQUIOXANE, DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE, PROPYLENE CARBONATE, BLUE 1 LAKE (CI 42090), IRON OXIDES (CI 77491, CI 77499), RED 7 LAKE (CI 15850), RED 28 LAKE (CI 45410), TITANIUM DIOXIDE (CI 77891).