Chanel Original Soleil Tan de Chanel Bronzing Makeup Base ($50.00 for 1.00 oz.) is a medium, golden brown with warm, yellow undertones and a barely-there golden pearl. It’s a lighter bronzer, which would make it more suitable for fair to light-medium complexions but is likely to get lost on medium and deeper skin tones–I wish it was available in more shades.
The formula is described as a “light cream-gel bronzer” that gives a “sun-bathed look” that can be worn on its own or “over or under” foundation. The consistency was denser, not at all spongy, and smooth like a gel but thinner like a cream product. Initially, there was a touch of dewiness as the product dried down, but within a minute or so, the product dried down and had a more satin-to-matte finish–not quite matte but not luminous or glossy at all. It was easy to buff along the edges of the face for an all-over warmth or applied more heavily to the cheeks. It had good pigmentation, which was buildable to true-to-pan coverage or easily sheered out for barely-there warmth. I felt like it had a more visible effect over foundation or over bare skin, and it worked well in either instance. Unless one wears a very, very sheer coverage foundation, it was largely lost when worn underneath a foundation.
- Givenchy Ambre Saison (P, $52.00) is more shimmery (95% similar).
- MAC Golden Rinse (LE, $35.50) is more shimmery (95% similar).
- Laura Mercier Bronze (02) (P, $40.00) is darker, cooler (90% similar).
- Fenty Beauty Butta Biscuit (P, $32.00) is more shimmery, cooler (90% similar).
- ColourPop Bon Voyage (P, $8.00) is less shimmery (95% similar).
- Iconic London Caramel Glow (P, $27.00) is less shimmery, darker, less glossy (90% similar).
- Salt New York Light (P, $16.00) is less shimmery, lighter, cooler (90% similar).
- Kevyn Aucoin Desert Days (P, $48.00) is less shimmery, darker, more muted (90% similar).
- MAC Aphrodite's Shell (LE, $34.00) is darker, cooler (90% similar).
- Makeup by Mario Light Medium (P, $28.00) is less shimmery, cooler, less glossy (90% similar).