MAC Venomous Villains: Overall, Round-up, & Recommendations
MAC Disney Venomous Villains Collection: Overall, Round-up, & Recommendations
OVERALL, Venomous Villains has some excellent shades and textures; there were very few products that felt like misses and only a couple that disappointed. The majority of products had nice color pay off, soft/smooth textures, and many are flattering across multiple skin tones. There are a few repromotes, but with a collection as large as this, some might be relieved about that, LOL! There are also no stickers here–all of the characters are printed onto the packaging. I didn’t receive any of the boxes (so I don’t have ingredient lists either), but I’ve been told the sketches of the characters are on them to contrast with the more classic imagery on the actual products.
My favorite products are the must-haves I listed below, but the products that really stood out to me were: Strange Potion Lipglass, which looks stunning on lips, so wearable alone and beautiful against cooler and warmer skin tones; Bad Fairy Nail Lacquer, which is a dazzling duochrome polish that flashes red, copper, and gold; and Wicked Ways Lipglass, which makes lips look like one big, juicy cherrylicious treat.
For me, the nail lacquers were my favorite part of the collection, even if I was disappointed to find that two shades are exactly the same as two Orly polishes I swatched earlier this week. I just think this duochrome (or triple-chrome, I suppose) finish of glitter/glass flecks is incredible, and I’m greedy for more shades. Side-by-side, I could not tell the difference between the two brands; and in terms of application/wear, there was nothing to distinguish them from each other. It seemed like, perhaps, MAC took a minute or two longer to dry, but otherwise… identical. If Orly isn’t your style or unavailable (because it’s $10 vs. MAC’s $13 price tag) where you’re at, I fully recommend all three MAC lacquers in that instance.
I liked the lip products the most, because they brought out some shades that I don’t remember seeing before, and there is a good variety in the shade range–some bolder, fiercer shades just in time for fall but a few tamer shades, too. The most disappointing part of the collection (even before I saw it) was the lack of new pigments–not a one–because I am a huge pigment fan and collector, so I’m always jonesing for something new to add to the collection! Don’t get me wrong, the three shades they chose to include are nice, but two of them were just released a year ago. I didn’t think I’d see them again so soon! I will also completely agree with many of you that I fully expected to see Queen’s Sin launched in this collection. I’m thankful I have mine, but it would have been fun to dig it out again if it had been released!
If you fell in love with the mineralize eyeshadows from Style Black, I think you’re going to fall in love all over again with Maleficent’s Mineralize Eyeshadow Duos. They truly are gorgeous when used damp–very rich, lush colors and the texture is smoother and softer than any mineralize product I’ve swatched to date. I swear, I’m not yet a convert, but MAC makes these better every year–so maybe one day!
The Magically Cool Liquid Powders are cool indeed–to play with. I like them but am not in love with them as of yet–they can be a little powdery when they dry, so I prefer them best mixed into moisturizer or foundation (yes, you can do that!) or used with a brush like the 188 for a very soft, dewy application. If you’re near a counter or store, I totally suggest going in and sticking your finger in it and playing around–such an odd feeling! Cool! Liquid! The boy was confounded. 😉
One question I get asked before a collection launches is, “What is going to sell out?” It’s hard to predict sell outs when they’re not re-releasing a previously hot product (e.g. Mineralize Skinfinishes) or promoting something with such a unique design (e.g. Marine Life). It’s even harder when a collection is so large! First, I think more rather than less shades will sell out, if only because you have both Disney and MAC fans coming together; it is not exclusively MAC fans waiting to snag something. My best guesses for products with potential to sell out quickly are: Heartless Lipstick, Wicked Ways Lipglass, Hot House Lipglass, Bite of an Apple Blush, Violetta Lipstick, My Dark Magic/She Who Dares Mineralize Eyeshadows, Briar Rose Beauty Powder, and all three polishes.
Must-haves: Wicked Ways Lipglass, Heartless Lipstick, Strange Potion Lipglass, Toxic Tale Lipstick, Vile Violet Eyeshadow, Violetta Lipstick, Bad Fairy Nail Lacquer
Nice-to-haves: Darkly My Dear Blush, Sweet Joy Eyeshadow, De-Vil Eyeshadow, Hot House Lipglass, Vainglorious Eyeshadow, Bite of an Apple Blush, My Dark Magic Mineralize Eyeshadow Duo, She Who Dares Mineralize Eyeshadow Duo, Formidable Nail Lacquer, Mean & Green Nail Lacquer
Skip: Innocence, Beware! Lipstick (dry), Sinister Lipstick (streaky), any dupes you have (see below)
- Skip DEVILISHLY STYLISH if you have LOTS OF NUDE GLOSSES; it’s a nice champagne nude gloss, but there’s nothing particularly unique/different about it that makes it a must-have amongst nudes.
- SWEET JOY if you have DREAMMAKER, CREME ROYALE, CREME DE MIEL. They are all very similar–pale, light yellow gold with a frosty finish. It has a lovely finish, but you may already have something like it in your stash.
- DE-VIL if you have COPPERING. They are incredibly similar.
- HER ALTER IMAGE if you have BEAUTIFUL IRIS — if you’re on a tight budget. They do differ noticeably, but it’s not a significant difference. It’s skippable if you have the latter, unless you’re a fiend for pale purples.
- VAINGLORIOUS if you have STAR VIOLET. They’re pretty similar.
- SHE WHO DARES if you have BLUE FLAME and you’re ONLY interested in the blue side–the green side is not dupeable by Blue Flame (or any of the Style Black eyeshadows).
- FORMIDABLE if you have ORLY GALAXY GIRL. They are exactly the same. ORLY is $10, MAC is $13, but MAC may be more accessible for some. You can’t go wrong either way–the product is fantastic.
- MEAN & GREEN if you have ORLY SPACE CADET. Same reason as above.
Don’t forget to…
Check your stash for CARBON (permanent), HOT HOUSE (from Strange Hybrid), VIOLETTA (permanent at PRO), MELON (permanent), BRASH & BOLD (from Makeup Art Cosmetics), PUSH THE EDGE (from Makeup Art Cosmetics), RESORT LIFE (from Lillyland), SLICK BLACK (repromote).
Recommendations by Skin Tone
Please note that this section is merely suggesting shades that would complement a particular skin tone better than other shades, but these lists are meant to be rather exhaustive of the entire collection; it’s not reflective of must-haves for your skin tone. When it comes to cooler/warmer skin tones, these are products that lean noticeably cool/warm and therefore complement the corresponding skin tone better (but it does not mean you can’t wear a warmer product if you’re cooler!).
- Best Picks for Lighter Skin Tones: Devilishly Stylish Lipglass, Heartless Lipstick, Sweet Joy Eyeshadow, Her Own Devices Beauty Powder, Strange Potion Lipglass, Sinister Lipstick, Her Alter Image Eyeshadow, Vile Violet Eyeshadow, Oh So Fair Beauty Powder, Revenge is Sweet Lipglass, My Dark Magic Mineralize Eyeshadow Duo, Briar Rose Beauty Powder, Melon Pigment, Truth & Light Magically Cool Liquid Powder
- Best Picks for Medium Skin Tones: Darkly My Dear Blush, De-Vil Eyeshadow, Strange Potion Lipglass, Hot House Lipglass, Toxic Tale Lipstick, Vainglorious Eyeshadow, Vile Violet Eyeshadow, Bite of an Apple Blush, Violetta Lipstick, She Who Dares Mineralize Eyeshadow Duo, Briar Rose Beauty Powder, Brash & Bold Pigment, Melon Pigment, Push the Edge Pigment, Cajun Magically Cool Liquid Powder
- Best Picks for Darker Skin Tones: Darkly My Dear Blush, De-Vil Eyeshadow, Hot House Lipglass, Toxic Tale Lipstick, Vile Violet Eyeshadow, Bite of an Apple Blush, Wrong Spell Lipglass, Violetta Lipstick, She Who Dares Mineralize Eyeshadow Duo, Briar Rose Beauty Powder, Brash & Bold Pigment, Melon Pigment, Push the Edge Pigment, Cajun Magically Cool Liquid Powder
- Best Picks for Cooler Skin Tones: Her Alter Image Eyeshadow, Vile Violet Eyeshadow, Oh So Fair Beauty Powder, Revenge is Sweet Lipglass, Dark Deed Lipstick, Briar Rose Beauty Powder, Formidable Nail Lacquer, Push the Edge Pigment
- Best Picks for Warmer Skin Tones: Sweet Joy Eyeshadow, De-Vil Eyeshadow, Her Own Devices Beauty Powder, Strange Potion Lipglass, Toxic Tale Lipstick, Bite of an Apple Blush, Bad Fairy Nail Lacquer, Melon Pigment