MAC Cham-Pale: Overall Review & Recommendations
OVERALL, Cham-Pale stays true to its name–pale, light, and shimmering. If you prefer matte, satin, or more pearly finishes to your makeup, I don’t think Cham-Pale will be the right collection for you. On the other hand, if you love shimmer, shine, and glitter, it may be just perfect. From the glittery, glimmering, high-shine Lipgelees to the sheered out, frosted paint pots, this collection is all about finishes that catch light.This also appears to be a collection that is better worn with products you own and not exclusively products from within the launch itself–you may find it is shimmer overload if you don’t mix and match!
In general, the product quality is good, though a few products were disappointing. The paint pots are on the sheerer side and weren’t easy to layer for greater intensity, while Very Important Platinum was a gloppy, thick polish that was difficult to work with. Caviar Dreams Eyeshadow Quad has two permanent shades and a repromote, but also two lustre shades, both of which suffer from fall out issues.
Product Photos, Swatches, Reviews
- Video Overview
- Caviar Dreams Eyeshadow Quad
- Chez Chez Lame Special Reserve Highlighting Powder
- Feline Kohl Power
- I Get No Kick Eye Kohl
- Lip Conditioners
- Paint Pots
- Rose Ole Special Reserve Highlighting Powder
- Soiree Nail Lacquer
- Very Important Platinum Nail Lacquer
Check out my recommendations, what to skip, and recommendations by skin tone…
Must-haves: I Get No Kick Eye Kohl, Feline Kohl Power, Soiree Nail Lacquer
Nice-to-haves: Straight to the Head Lipgelee, Vintage Selection Paint Pot
Skip: Caviar Dreams Eyeshadow Quad, Very Important Platinum Nail Lacquer
Skip if you have…
- Skip LUXURE if you have RESORT LIFE; they are incredibly similar when worn.
- Skip CALM MODE if you have FEELIN’ GOOD; Feelin’ Good is just slightly less pink.
- Skip GEL if you have BEIGELAND; Beigeland is a little more pigmented.
- Skip ROSE OLE if you have BY CANDLELIGHT; By Candlelight is smoother.
- Skip CHEZ CHEZ LAME if you have NARS ALBATROSS; fairly similar.
- Skip I GET NO KICK if you have MAKE UP FOR EVER #23L; they are quite close.
Don’t forget to check your stash for…
Feline (repromote), NC15/NW15 (permanent at PRO), NW25/NC30 (permanent at PRO), TANARAMA (permanent) GEL (permanent), QUIET, PLEASE (repromote), BRULE (permanent), RETROSPECK (permanent), and ET TU, BOUQUET (repromote).
Recommendations by Skin Tone
Please note that this section is merely suggesting shades that would complement a particular skin tone better than other shades, but these lists are meant to be rather exhaustive of the entire collection; it’s not reflective of must-haves for your skin tone. When it comes to cooler/warmer skin tones, these are products that lean noticeably cool/warm and therefore complement the corresponding skin tone better (but it does not mean you can’t wear a warmer product if you’re cooler!).
- Best Picks for Light Skin Tones: Chez Chez Lame/Rose Ole Special Reserve Highlighter, Gel/Quietly Please Lipstick, Luxure/Sin-tillation Lipgelee, Caviar Dreams Eyeshadow Quad,
- Best Picks for Medium Skin Tones: Rose Ole Special Reserve Highlighter, Flustered/Gel Lipstick, Bubble Lounge/Straight to the Head Lipgelee, Caviar Dreams Eyeshadow Quad,
- Best Picks for Dark Skin Tones: Flustered Lipstick, Bubble Lounge/Straight to the Head Lipgelee, Soiree Nail Lacquer
- Best Picks for Cool Skin Tones: Chez Chez Lame/Rose Ole Special Reserve Highlighter, Quietly Please Lipstick, Luxure/Sin-tillation Lipgelee, Caviar Dreams Eyeshadow Quad, Very Important Platinum Nail Lacquer
- Best Picks for Warm Skin Tones: Chez Chez Lame/Rose Ole Special Reserve Highlighter, Flustered/Gel Lipstick, Bubble Lounge/Straight to the Head Lipgelee, Caviar Dreams Eyeshadow Quad, Soiree Nail Lacquer
- Universally Flattering Shades: Calm Mode Tinted Lip Conditioner, Paint Pots (all!), Feline Kohl Power, I Get No Kick Eye Kohl