Chanel Rouge Allure Extrait de Gloss Review, Photos, Swatches (Part 2)
More Chanel, More Gloss
Chanel Rouge Allure Extrait de Gloss ($32.00 for 0.28 fl. oz.) is the brand’s latest gloss with nine shades (all are permanent except Confidence). I reviewed Fatale, Impertinence, Insolence, and Insouciance earlier.
It has a new wedge-shaped applicator–almost like someone took a nibble out of a doe-foot gloss on both sides. I found the applicator rather springy, and though application was easy for me, I do prefer the Rouge Allure Laque applicator, which has one side that’s rather curved, almost designed to fit your lip into that curve. The opening of the gloss itself seems to make it so not much product gets on each swipe, so you may find yourself going back for a second helping to get a more opaque look.
It’s not a sticky or tacky gloss, but I wouldn’t describe it as non-sticky; there’s a little tack to it. The texture of the gloss is on the thicker side, very jelly-like, which is fitting, since it is a gel-based formula. It is smooth, and it applies evenly without settling into lip lines. They do have a lovely glossy finish, though, and they feel like a gloss–they are not a liquid lipstick like the Rouge Allure Laques. There’s an incredibly faint floral scent, but I can barely detect it long enough to accurately describe it, so it’s certainly nothing heavy. I found myself getting about three to four hours of wear with these, even the lighter shades, and it made it so-so through a full venti cup of coffee. I wouldn’t call it a long-wearing gloss, though. It wears well, but it doesn’t go on for hours. The Extrait de Glosses last a little longer than the average gloss (three to four hours for me) but not much longer.
- Genie is a semi-sheer peach with an underlying pinky tone. Very slight and subtle white micro-shimmer sprinkled through. Oh, and don’t let the initial orangeness of the color scare you, because it translates into something sheerer.
- Confidence is a semi-opaque, pretty-in-pink rose with lots of white and pink micro-shimmer–it has a rather frosty finish in comparison to the other shades. MAC Wonderstruck Lustreglass is the closest dupe, though it’s sheerer and the shimmer is larger.
- Imaginaire is a semi-sheer, pale milky pink with soft white-pink micro-shimmer. It’s a more pigmented, more sophisticated version of MAC’s Baby Sparks.
- Emoi is a semi-sheer, pink-red with soft pink and gold micro-shimmer. It’s almost red, but the sheerest makes it look pinker when worn. It does read rather neutral, though. I’d compare this to MAC’s Venetian Lustreglass.
- Exces is a semi-opaque cherry red. It does have a tendency to settle into lip lines, though. This is a shade that doesn’t seem to have any micro-shimmer, it’s just a glossy cream kind of finish. Like Emoi, it is rather neutral, but if pressed, I would say it leans orange-red rather than blue. It’s a sheerer, glossier, non-sticky version of Russian Red–oh and not as blue-based.
All in all, they’re a nice gloss. Not exactly groundbreaking, but for those looking for a little more color than the Glossimers and Aqualumieres have to offer, Extrait de Gloss fills that void. These also remind me of Guerlain’s Kiss Kiss Gloss Serum–which also debuted this fall.
My favorite part about the gloss is actually the packaging, which is sleek, long, and hefty. Not heavy as in you’ll break your back, but it’s weighty; and there’s something about a little bit of heft that makes it feel like you’re holding onto something of quality.
|The color range is very classic–most shades, if not all, are universally flattering and come in hues that are quite wearable.|
|Login or Register to be able to add this to your Vanity or Wishlist! Plus rate and review!|
See more photos & swatches!
Genie (52), Confidence (55), Imaginaire (56), Emoi (58), Exces (60)
Genie (52), Confidence (55), Imaginaire (56)
Imaginaire (56), Emoi (58), Exces (60)
Product & Review FAQ
Where can I purchase Extrait de Gloss? How much is it?
Is it limited edition?
Only Confidence is limited edition.
Genie: try MAC's Entice Lipglass--not quite as sheer or as light, but similar. Confidence: MAC Wonderstruck Lustreglass. Imaginaire: MAC Baby Sparks Dazzleglass (glittery). Emoi: MAC Venetian Lustreglass. Exces: MAC Russian Red Lipglass.