Laguna and Fort de France
NARS Laguna and Fort de France Little FetishesNARS Laguna and Fort de France Little Fetishes ($24.00 for 0.21 oz.) contains the brand’s iconic Laguna bronzer along with more recently-released Fort de France highlighter. The bronzer performed poorly for me–very stiff and dry in the pan, which yielded product in clumps and was difficult to apply and build up. The highlighter performed well, but the bronzer was so disappointing that I’d give this set a miss myself.
A full-sized Bonzing Powder retails for $40.00 and contains 0.28 oz. or costs $142.86/oz. A full-sized Highlighting Powder retails for $38.00 and contains 0.49 oz. or costs $77.55/oz. This set contains $11.43 worth of bronzer and $10.08 worth of highlighter for a total value of $21.51.
LELimited Edition. $24.00.
Laguna is a light-medium, golden brown with a subtle, golden sheen. The consistency was incredibly stiff that I had to physically scrape off layers of the powder in order to get enough to loosen to swatch at all (notated under the swatch, too). While I wouldn’t consider Laguna to always be the most pigmented bronzer on the market, it’s not usually quite this terrible. That stiffness translated into an uneven, patchy application that I could not fully buff out. It just barely showed on my skin despite trying to build up and layer it to show up in photos. What little I could get onto my skin stayed on for seven and a half hours on me…but I’ll admit, it was hard to tell if it turned patchy since it was so uneven to begin with.
- Laura Mercier A La Mode (LE, ) is brighter (90% similar).
- Guerlain Ultra Shine (LE, $61.00) is darker, brighter (90% similar).
- MAC Aphrodite's Shell (LE, $34.00) is lighter, warmer (90% similar).
- Kat Von D Shadowplay (PiP, ) is less shimmery, cooler (90% similar).
- MAC Nude on Board (LE, $30.00) is more muted (90% similar).
- NARS Laguna (P, $38.00) is less shimmery, darker, cooler (90% similar).
- Too Faced Spice (LE, ) is warmer (90% similar).
- ColourPop Paradise Cove (P, $8.00) is less shimmery, darker (90% similar).
- Too Faced Jolie (LE, ) is more shimmery (95% similar).
- MAC Matte Bronze (LE, $70.00) is less shimmery (95% similar).
Talc, Silica, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Nylon-12, Zinc Stearate, Dimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Lauroyl Lysine, Chlorphenesin, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Trisodium Edta, Tocopherol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, [+/- (May Contain/Peut Contenir): Iron Oxides (Ci 77491), Iron Oxides (Ci 77492), Iron Oxides (Ci 77499), Mica, Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891)].
Disclaimer: Ingredient lists are as available by the brand (or retailer) at the time of publishing. Please always check product packaging, if it exists, for the ingredient list applicable to the product you're purchasing, or the brand or retailer's website for the most up-to-date ingredient list.
Fort de France
Fort de France is a light-medium gold with warm, yellow undertones and a luminous sheen. It had semi-opaque, buildable pigmentation with a smooth, almost cream-like texture that was firmer in the pan but applied beautifully with a brush to cheeks and the high points of the face. (The initial firmness of the texture worried me by touch alone!) This shade stayed on well for eight and a half hours on me.
P.S. — My press sample arrived broken in pieces, but the texture was mostly intact in the larger pieces and still felt consistent with the full-sized version I have.
FURTHER READING: Formula Overview for details on general performance and characteristics (like scent).
- rms beauty Grande Dame (P, $38.00) is less shimmery, lighter (95% similar).
- Tarte Daylight (LE, ) is lighter (95% similar).
- Anastasia Moonstone (LE, ) is more shimmery (95% similar).
- ColourPop A Smile and a Song (LE, $8.00) is more shimmery (90% similar).
- Charlotte Tilbury Original (P, $38.00) is warmer (90% similar).
- Tom Ford Beauty Incandescent (Top) (PiP, $75.00) is less shimmery (95% similar).
- NARS Rêve Salé I (LE, ) is less shimmery (95% similar).
- NARS Disco Nights (LE, $38.00) is darker (90% similar).
- ColourPop Glad You Came (PiP, $8.00) is more shimmery (90% similar).
- Viseart Ablaze (Highlight) (PiP, ) is more shimmery (90% similar).
$38.00/0.49 oz. - $77.55 Per Ounce
The new powder highlighter formula is supposed to "melt seamlessly into skin to enhance your natural glow" with "buildable radiance." The texture had a smooth feel that was finely-milled but firmer, almost stiff in a way, in the pan (not in a bad way), and it was not at all powdery. There was a dryness and thinness present in the texture that made it less like traditional powder highlighter formulas (including the brand's original range of highlighting powders), and none of that translated into poor performance.
That being said, all of the shades applied better on the cheeks than the they did applied to my arm. I also noticed that finish became more and more luminous--almost blindingly at times!--as the powder was buffed and blended on my cheeks. They were very reflective and shiny on my cheek bones with semi-opaque, buildable pigmentation. I had no trouble blending and diffusing any of the shades on my skin, and despite having a firmer feel in the pan, I could use fan brushes and other feathery brushes to pickup product. The powders lasted between eight and nine hours on me.
Browse all of our NARS Highlighting Powder (2018) swatches.