Merit Terracotta Flush Balm Cream BlushMerit Terracotta Flush Balm Cream Blush ($28.00 for 0.31 oz.) is a light brown with warmer undertones and a glossy finish. It had sheer to semi-sheer pigmentation, which was as marketed, that applied evenly to my skin and diffused easily along the edges for a soft, watercolor-like effect.
The formula didn’t dry down, so it remained emollient and glossy throughout wear, which made it shorter-wearing (six hours) but had a flattering fade-away that didn’t slide around, just gradually disappeared over time. The consistency was very emollient with a lot of slip, thinner but was easy to apply over bare skin and on top of foundation as it did not lift away base products or create patchiness. It lasted for six hours before fading noticeably.
FURTHER READING: Formula Overview for details on general performance and characteristics (like scent).
- Fenty Beauty Fenty Glow (LE, $20.00) is more shimmery, lighter (95% similar).
- MAC Gingerly (P, $24.00) is darker, less glossy (90% similar).
- Melt Cosmetics Sandy Cheeks (P, $22.00) is darker (90% similar).
- Bobbi Brown Nude Beach (P, $36.00) is darker (90% similar).
- Bobbi Brown Suntan (P, $36.00) is more shimmery, lighter, cooler (90% similar).
- Kosas Tropic Equinox (Blush) (PiP, ) is more shimmery (90% similar).
- MAC So Natural (LE, $30.00) is more shimmery, lighter (90% similar).
- Bobbi Brown Sunkissed (P, $36.00) is more shimmery, lighter, cooler (90% similar).
- By Terry Tropical Sunset #6 (LE, ) is more shimmery, darker (90% similar).
- Patrick Ta She's So LA (Crème) (PiP, ) is more shimmery, darker, cooler (85% similar).
$28.00/0.31 oz. - $90.32 Per Ounce
The formula is supposed to give a "transparent veil of color" with a "light, balmy finish" that is "long-lasting." It's one of the more emollient consistencies I've come across in cream blushes these days! It looks like a solid, dome-shaped balm, but as soon as I touched it, the texture had high slip and felt almost oily as a result. They delivered on the "transparent veil of color" with sheer to semi-sheer coverage that blended out to a more watercolored-effect on skin.
I was surprised--but in a good way--to find that it applied well over foundation and didn't seem prone to lifting up my base products as often, very emollient textures can interact more noticeably when layered over other things in my experience. It worked well over bare skin, too, and didn't "sink" into pores like some cream blushes have for me.
It didn't dry down and remained movable hours later, so the shorter-wear time (six to seven hours) wasn't a surprise. The product didn't feel tacky, just emollient throughout; I have more "normal" skin on my actual cheek area where I tested this formula (I'm drier near my nose and on my nose).
Browse all of our Merit Flush Balm Cream Blush swatches.
Octyldodecanol, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Hydrogenated Poly (C6-14 Olefin), Polyethylene, Silica, Diisostearyl Malate, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Synthetic Wax, Sorbitan Isostearate, Cera Microcristallina (Microcrystalline Wax, Cire Microcristalline), Tocopherol, Ethylene/Propylene Copolymer, Methicone, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, BHT, CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77491/77492/77499 (Iron Oxides), CI 15850 (Red 7 Lake).
Disclaimer: Ingredient lists are as available by the brand (or retailer) at the time of publishing. Please always check product packaging, if it exists, for the ingredient list applicable to the product you're purchasing, or the brand or retailer's website for the most up-to-date ingredient list.