Stella by Starlight
ILIA Stella by Starlight Illuminator ($34.00 for 0.15 oz.) is a light-medium gold with strong, warm undertones and a pearly sheen. It had semi-sheer pigmentation that built up to medium coverage if desired. The entire ethos of the brand seemed to revolve around soft, sheer, wash, etc. so presumably the coverage was designed to be comparable to the Multi-Sticks (which have the same feel and packaging).
The texture was smooth and solid, which started to become moderately emollient when it came into contact with the warmth of my skin–whether fingertips or cheeks–and glided readily with good dispersion of product and wasn’t prone to lifting up base products. It stayed on well for seven and a half hours before fading visibly.
FURTHER READING: Formula Overview for details on general performance and characteristics (like scent).
- Anastasia Perla (P, $25.00) is darker (95% similar).
- ColourPop Fine Line (PiP, $8.00) is more shimmery, warmer (95% similar).
- Salt New York Beige (P, $16.00) is more shimmery (95% similar).
- Ciate Celestial (P, $32.00) is more shimmery, warmer (95% similar).
- Tarte Exposed (P, $29.00) is more shimmery, warmer (90% similar).
- ColourPop Boujee Call (P, $8.00) is more shimmery, lighter (90% similar).
- Persona Zuma (P, $24.00) is more shimmery, darker, warmer (90% similar).
- Flesh Beauty Twitch (P, $18.00) is more shimmery, darker, warmer (90% similar).
- Hourglass Champagne Flash (P, $42.00) is more shimmery (90% similar).
- NARS Gold Leash (LE, $30.00) is more shimmery, warmer (90% similar).
$34.00/0.15 oz. - $226.67 Per Ounce
The formula is supposed to have "no sparkles, no glitter" and just yield a "dew[y]" finish. The consistency was smooth, dense, and balm-like that had to be warmed up slightly with fingertips or held against the cheek. The finish was dewy without being overly tacky, but it never fully dried down, so those who need something more transfer-resistant will want to look elsewhere.
It was moderately emollient with a gel-cream feel, so it spread well over bare skin and wasn't prone to lifting up base products. It was easy to apply and diffuse for a "soft wash of color" as described. They were somewhat buildable to medium coverage if desired but was sheerer overall, which seemed in line with the brand's product range (they weren't clear here, but this formula looks, feels, and performs like the Multi-Sticks, which are supposed to be sheer). The product wore between seven and eight hours before fading visibly.
Browse all of our ILIA Illuminator swatches.
Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil*, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil*, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter*, Beeswax (Cera Alba)*, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax, Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil*, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)*, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Wax, Zea Mays (Corn) Starch*, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Tocopherol. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxide (CI77499, CI77492, CI77491), Red 7 CI15850, Red 28 CI45410, Yellow 5 CI19140. *Certified Organic Ingredients. Ingrédients Certifiés Biologiques. This product is certified Gluten-free.
Disclaimer: Ingredient lists are as available by the brand (or retailer) at the time of publishing. Please always check product packaging, if it exists, for the ingredient list applicable to the product you're purchasing, or the brand or retailer's website for the most up-to-date ingredient list.