Happy Glow Pearls
Guerlain Happy Glow Pearls Meteorites ($74.00 for 1.0 oz.) is a soft, pink-tinted white base with fine pink, gold, and lavender sparkle over a semi-matte finish. The Meteorites Pearls formula is supposed to “delicately color-correct and illuminate the complexion” with the brand’s typical violet fragrance.
Though I don’t recall it being marketed as a setting powder (always more of a finishing powder), Guerlain’s website says to use it all-over the face to “fix make-up and improve hold” under directions and that it can be used to highlight the face as well. This particular combination of Meteorites did seem to have more substance–more powder in a way–so I could see how it might work as a setting powder. In fact, this season’s Happy Glow Pearls seemed to blur my skin just slightly without making it appear totally matte like some setting powders might, though I would not describe it as illuminating or luminous either. There was less noticeable sheen or luminosity to the powder and more in the way of visible sparkle. The problem I had was that if I really pressed it into the skin like I would a setting powder, it sometimes left a whitish cast against my skin tone. If I applied it more like a finishing powder (more lightly dusted), I didn’t get any cast. It only extended the wear of my foundation by a half hour, which is shorter than most setting powders for me.
I normally like a lot of the Guerlain Meteorite Pearls, but this one just had such minimal impact compared to past versions (including their permanent ones). I think as a setting powder, it falls even shorter.
- Guerlain Summer Edition (2015) (LE, $65.00) is less pigmented (95% similar).
- Guerlain Gold Pearl (LE, $65.00) is warmer, lower quality (95% similar).
- Guerlain Birthday Candle Pearls (LE, $65.00) is warmer (95% similar).
- Guerlain Carousel (LE, $65.00) is less shimmery (90% similar).
- Guerlain Clair (02) (P, $65.00) is less shimmery (95% similar).
- Guerlain Rainbow Pearls (LE, $65.00) is warmer (90% similar).
- Guerlain Perles de Legende (LE, $65.00) is warmer (85% similar).
- Guerlain Electric Pearl (LE, $65.00) is less shimmery, warmer (80% similar).