Gold is the New Black
Dose of Colors Gold is the New Black Supreme Glow Highlighter ($28.00 for 0.25 oz.) is a medium gold with warm undertones and a metallic sheen. It had nearly opaque pigmentation in a single layer and a lighter touch could get sheerer coverage if desired. The consistency was soft to the touch, almost powdery in a way, but it was also denser and more substantial without being firmly packed in the pan. I found that I had better luck applying and blending out the powder with a blush brush than a tapered highlighting brush, which did not seem dense enough for this texture. Once on the skin, the highlighter lasted for eight hours before fading.
The brand could really use a more informative description of the formula, as all I have to share with you is that it’s supposed to “apply weightlessly, creating an illuminated look.” I bought two shades (there are six available) to try and may eventually purchase the other shades but for now, I just have two (this and Melonade). The consistency (based on the two I have) is soft but powdery with a denser feel, almost like a part-powder, part-cream texture. I found that it did not apply as evenly as I expected and that typical highlighting brushes did not diffuse or buff the color in as well, and the formula worked a lot better with a dense blush brush. Once I switched up the tool, I found them easy to apply, but they are definitely denser and “thicker” compared to the average powder highlighter.
- Melt Cosmetics Gold Ore (P, $39.00) is less shimmery, lighter (95% similar).
- Makeup Revolution Gold Addict (P, $6.00) is less shimmery (95% similar).
- BH Cosmetics Carli Bybel Deluxe Edition #17 (LE, ) is more shimmery, darker (95% similar).
- MAC Rosy Cheer (LE, ) (95% similar).
- Estee Lauder Solar Crush (LE, $47.00) is more shimmery, more muted, cooler (95% similar).
- Dior Transatlantique (LE, $58.00) is more shimmery (95% similar).
- L'Oreal Golden (P, $12.99) is darker (95% similar).
- ColourPop On the Loose (PiP, $8.00) is lighter (95% similar).
- Estee Lauder Heat Wave (LE, $47.00) is cooler (95% similar).
- Milani Bronze Splendore (P, $10.99) is darker (95% similar).
Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Alumina, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Zinc Stearate Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Iron Oxides (CI 77491), Dimethicone Silica, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Phenoxyethanol, Tin Oxide, Hydrogenated Lecithin.
Disclaimer: Ingredient lists are as available by the brand (or retailer) at the time of publishing. Please always check product packaging, if it exists, for the ingredient list applicable to the product you're purchasing, or the brand or retailer's website for the most up-to-date ingredient list.