NABLA Cosmetics Ambra Skin Bronzing Bronzer Powder ($26.00 for 0.23 oz.) is a light, golden brown with warm undertones and a satiny sheen. It had good pigmentation in a single layer, though it was marketed as buildable; it was more buildable in the sense that if I used a lighter hand or a less-dense brush to apply, I could get sheerer, more buildable coverage–the issue is that’s true with most pigmented products!
The consistency was smooth and firmer to the touch–dense but not stiff–and had excellent adhesion to bare skin as the powder really diffused and melded with my skin for a seamless look. This type of formula responds best to a moderately-dense brush with a larger edge for more even pickup of product. It had a natural finish that didn’t read shimmery and looked more like gently, glowing skin. The color stayed on well for eight and a half hours before showing signs of fading.
FURTHER READING: Formula Overview for details on general performance and characteristics (like scent).
- MAC Beige-ing Beauty (LE, $32.00) is darker (95% similar).
- Wet 'n' Wild Queen's Land (LE, $4.99) is less shimmery, warmer (95% similar).
- Fenty Beauty Inda Sun (P, $30.00) is less shimmery, darker (90% similar).
- Milani Sun Kissed (02) (P, $9.99) is less shimmery, lighter (90% similar).
- Laura Mercier Tres Modern (LE, ) is lighter, warmer (90% similar).
- ColourPop Opening Act (LE, $8.00) is less shimmery, cooler (90% similar).
- Dior Warm Bronze (05) (P, $48.00) is less shimmery, darker, cooler (90% similar).
- Charlotte Tilbury Medium (2) (P, $55.00) is less shimmery, lighter, cooler (90% similar).
- Tom Ford Beauty Terra (P, $70.00) is less shimmery, darker, cooler (90% similar).
- Hourglass Eternal Bronze Light (LE, $52.00) is less shimmery, darker, cooler (90% similar).
$26.00/0.23 oz. - $113.04 Per Ounce
The formula is supposed to have "buildable coverage" and can be used wet or dry. The finish is described as a "natural sun-kissed effect" that is "radiant." They were more pigmented than they were buildable, but the denser, firmer consistency made it easier to use a lighter hand with it to get more buildable coverage if desired.
The consistency was comparable to the brand's Skin Glazing highlighters and other baked gelee kind of formulas on the market; denser, firmer and smoother powders that work best with moderately-dense brushes but are very finely-milled, not powdery at all, and have a tendency to look seamless and almost "melted" on skin.
I had no trouble applying and blending out the latest bronzer formula on bare skin or over foundation. The powders at well on my skin, diffused easily along the edges, and lived up to the "radiant" finish promised. They wore between eight and nine hours on me. The "downside" was that they were more semi-opaque or higher in coverage.
Browse all of our NABLA Cosmetics Skin Bronzing Bronzer Powder swatches.