Muji 5-Drawer Acrylic Drawers
Muji 5-Drawer Acrylic Drawers ($27.95) is a single unit with five drawers that pull out completely, so you can take out a drawer and set it down like a tray, which gives you greater access to anything you put into it. The unit measures 10.2 inches / 26 centimeters wide, 6.9 inches / 17.5 centimeters in depth, and 6.6 inches / 16.5 centimeters in height. The interior space of each drawer is 9.4 inches / 23.9 centimeters in width, 6.5 inches / 16.5 centimeters in depth, and 0.9 inches / 2.3 centimeters in height. These drawers are shorter than the 2-Drawer system by 0.85 inches / 2.1 centimeters, and while you can stack this on top of the 2-Drawer unit, it is a tiny bit wider and slightly deeper.
The weight of your products help to keep the drawer from falling out, even when extended quite far, but you can also fully remove the drawer to access anything stored in the back. I prefer this, personally, as it means you can really maximize every inch of the drawer. It’s also a nice way to store lipsticks with labels facing outwards so you can read them quickly, rather than having to pick up, read, pick up, read to find the right one. The 5-Drawer has a moderate thickness on its exterior sides, while the drawers themselves are slightly thinner. The unit sits comfortably on counter tops without sliding around as it has rubberized feet on the bottom to prevent slippage. The drawers sit on “tracks” so they pull out easily without rubbing against the drawer above or below it.
The shorter drawers won’t allow you to hold products like foundation bottles, larger tubes, and cylindrical loose powder containers (among other things!). The short height is ideal for someone who only wants to have a single layer of product per drawer, as it wastes very little in vertical space as a result–too tall drawers often waste space unless you plan to layer or have specific products that are tall enough to fill it. These drawers fit eyeshadows, lipglosses, lipsticks, blushes, bronzers, pressed powders, slim palettes, eye brushes, eyeliners, eyeshadow primers, and things of that nature very well. It has a decent footprint, where it’s not going to fit for everyone’s play space, but it is a good option for those with a vanity about two to three feet in width or on top of an Ikea Alex drawer unit.
What each drawer can hold…
- 23 x Urban Decay Eyeshadows | four rows of five each, plus three offset on the side, one layer maximum
- 23 x ColourPop Eyeshadows | five rows of five each, plus three offset on the side, one layer maximum
- 8 x MAC Blushes | two rows of four each, with a fair amount of space, one layer maximum; the two rows fit more comfortably in this unit than the 2-Drawer unit due to the greater width
- 2 x URban Decay Naked Eyeshadow Palettes | fits two next to each other with space along the right and bottom of them (could fit
- eyeliners along the bottom, possibly eyeshadows on the right)
- 20 x NARS Lipglosses | two rows of ten each comfortably, one layer maximum
- 14 x ColourPop Super Shock Cheeks | three rows of five each, two offset on the side
- 6 x MAC Powders | two rows of three each
- 24 x MAC Lipsticks | two rows of twelve each
- 9 x NARS Blushes | three rows of three each with some excess space on the right OR stagger them slightly and get four rows of three each with labels facing up; if laid flat, you can get two layers in
- 29 x Marc Jacobs Eyeliners | single row, single layer; two layers possible
- 29 x Sephora Eyeliners | one column of 18, one row of 11; two layers possible
- Brushes | fits brushes of various length; round or fluffier face brushes may have too large of a diameter to fit well but will work for eye brushes and smaller/flatter face brushes