Temptalia’s Collection – June 2010
For my 100th video, YouTube user kanadian00797 asked if I would do a special video — my makeup collection. I asked on Twitter if it was of interest, and by the post title, I think you know what the response was! The video is LONG. In previous years, I’ve split up the videos into MAC and non-MAC, but it’s all in one big video this time around. I also talk in more detail about blogging, the size of my stash, and what I do with products I don’t want or why I keep certain products. Since the video is pretty lengthy, I want to recap some of that in this post, too!
The Why & How: Video Summary
- I’ve been collecting makeup for 6 years. My collection wasn’t built overnight!
- I am a *collector*! I may use what I buy and receive, but I am a collector at heart. Makeup is not purely utility for me, and this is why I consider it a hobby that I am passionate about.
- I have been blogging for nearly 4 years. Brands and PR do send me product to consider reviewing. I don’t get paid to review products, no one gets to edit or preview my posts, and I’ve never lost a relationship because of a negative review, even the Ds and Fs.
- I donate products to to local organizations like battered women’s shelters. I’m currently trying to work with a local veterans organization to find a way to send products to service men and women overseas.
- The bathroom all my makeup is stored in is only used for makeup! I wish it didn’t have a shower and instead a giant closet…
- I consider this also an archive of the makeup past — it allows me to go back to previous launches for comparison.
My Storage System
- 3 x Advantus Rolling Cart, 10 Drawer (in Smoke) ($50) — also available in multi-color and white
- Clear Storage Boxes ($1.79 to $19.99) come in a variety sizes, but I typically use the Accessory Boxes and Shoe Boxes sizes for storing makeup. I also use the Sweater Boxes for storing body creams/washes and skincare.
- Linus Shallow Drawer Organizers ($2.99 to $6.99) have several sizes, but I typically use the 3″x6″, 3″x9″, 3″x12″, 6″x9″, and 6″x12″.
- Linus Deep Drawer Organizers ($3.49 to $6.49) are deeper by about 1 1/8″ compared to the Shallow Drawer Organizers. I use the 4″x12″ usually.
- Translucent Stack Drawers ($9.99 to $14.49)
- The Boy was the videographer for most of the video!
- I still have the first brush I ever owned — Benefit’s Eyeshadow Blending Brush, which has long been discontinued.
- I don’t know how many of each item I have, and it would probably make me cringe even a little if I did. So don’t count!
- I keep a lot of products for comparison purposes–e.g. how does X shadow compare to Y shadow from 4 years ago? My memory is faulty, and though the improvement in my photographing skills over the years help me to photo-document everything, I like having it in real life to compare, too.
- In looks, I try to keep older limited edition/discontinued products out of them. I try to use new products (to show how they look applied) or permanent products.
- I have the Scarlet/Spring/Summer seasons to thank for finally getting some permanent lipsticks in my stash!
- My dream is to have California Closets come over and design me the ultimate makeup storage system.
See more photos!
The Trinity of Carts
Counter-top with brushes, makeup remover, etc.
Translucent Drawers with Concealers, Mascara, etc. (also jewelry)
MAC Palettes (permanent shades only)
Face/foundation products I use regularly
Lipglasses, Pro Longwears, Cremesheen Glass
Cart 1, Drawer 1: MAC Limited Edition Lipsticks
Cart 1, Drawer 2: MAC Dazzleglass, Superglass, Mattenes/Slimshines, Lip Stain Markers
Cart 1, Drawer 3: MAC Mineralize Eyeshadows, Holiday Palettes, etc.
Cart 1, Drawer 4: MAC Blushes
Cart 1, Drawer 5: MAC Mineralize & Cream Blushes
Cart 1, Drawer 6: MAC Pigments
Cart 1, Drawer 6: MAC Pigments
Cart 1, Drawer 7: More MAC Pigments, Loose Beauty Powders
** Note, Drawer 8 is empty — it is reserved for the newly repackaged MAC pigments
Cart 1, Drawer 9: Misc. High-End Lipgloss, Laura Mercier, Estee Lauder
Cart 1, Drawer 10: False Lashes
Mid to High-end Lipsticks, MAC Permanent Lipsticks & Quads
Cart 2, Drawer 1: MAC Mineralize Skinfinishes, Beauty Powders, Bronzers
Cart 2, Drawer 2: Benefit
Cart 2, Drawer 3: Bobbi Brown
Cart 2, Drawer 4: Lancome
Cart 2, Drawer 5: Make Up For Ever & Sugarpill
Cart 2, Drawer 6: NARS & Illamasqua
** Note, Drawer 7 is empty but slated to fill with Rock & Republic shadows I bought ten billion years ago.
Cart 2, Drawer 8: Stila
Cart 2, Drawer 9: Urban Decay
Cart 2, Drawer 10: Misc. High-end brands (Smashbox, Estee Lauder, Clinique, Shu, etc.)
** Note, Drawer 1 is empty currently, because it accomodates MAC lipsticks/beauty powders (both of which I’m nearly full-on), so it’s on reserve for more of those!
Cart 3, Drawer 2: Eyeliners
Cart 3, Drawer 3: Cream, Gel, & Liquid Liners; Brow/Mascara
Cart 3, Drawer 4: Chanel
Cart 3, Drawer 5: Dior
Cart 3, Drawer 6: Dolce & Gabbana
Cart 3, Drawer 7: Givenchy
Cart 3, Drawer 8: Guerlain Eye/Face Products
Cart 3, Drawer 9: Guerlain Lipsticks & Lipglosses
Cart 3, Drawer 10: Misc. Luxury/Designer Brands (Le Metier de Beaute, Cle de Peau, YSL, etc.)
Though I am not intentionally endorsing any products in this video, I know that I said, “Love this!” a few times. Some of the products in my collection were provided by PR for original review purposes. If it’s here, I probably reviewed it on the blog. However, there are just as many, if not more, products I have purchased myself over the years also in my collection. Just to be clear!