MAC In High Def Collection: Behind the Collection
M·A·C COSMETICS MASTERS HIGH DEFINITION MAKEUP PROFESSIONAL ARTISTS AND CONSUMERS REAP THE BENEFITS FROM A RENEWED FOCUS ON FLAWLESS SKIN AND APPLICATION
Not since the 1950s when television and movies switched from black and white to colour has there been such a profound makeup revolution. M·A·C Cosmetics is already prepared for the digital transition with a ,series of Master Classes taught by Emmy® Award winning makeup artist, Marie DelPrete, aimed at teaching the pros how to work in this new medium. These classes will be followed by a fall collection called M·A·C In High Def, a compilation of the greatest HD-friendly formulas and shades for faces and lips that will help regular consumers get the flawless HD look. As the premiere makeup authority since 1984, with a background deeply rooted in providing professional quality cosmetics that are innovative, original and inventive, who better than M·A·C to cultivate a collection of products that prepares skin for the ultimate close-up?
Learn more about the inspiration behind the In High Def Collection…
For makeup pros and everyday people seeking the HDTV-professional look, precise well-blended makeup is essential, as is concentrating on the quality of the finish. It’s all about application and a well-edited makeup arsenal stocked with the right tools, textures and colours. Think lightweight, skin-mimicking foundations that practically melt into skin; it should look like your skin, but better. Steer clear of anything overly glossy or overly matte. Choose warm, neutral colours that enhance the natural skin tone. Blend everything thoroughly with professional tools to achieve a soft finish. “The High Def lens is an artificial eye that sees with almost hyper-clarity. All your makeup techniques are exposed. For pros and consumers alike, the goal is the same: to create the illusion of natural, flawless skin without showing the steps it took to get there,” said DelPrete.
HDTV’S SEISMIC SHIFT IN MAKEUP TECHNIQUE AND THEORY
With more pixels per square inch than standard TV, HDTV brings everything into crystal clear focus, giving pores, pimples and imperfections nowhere to hide. The precise quality and detail of HDTV magnifies flaws and discolourations that were previously disguised by piling on pancake makeup. The visual conversion known as HDTV puts the pressure on makeup artists to train in new techniques and learn new textures to ensure their clients look polished and perfect. Attention to fine detail is essential, as the smallest application mistake is amplified. Artists will need to retrain their mind – and their hands – to abide by HDTV’s new rules. M·A·C Cosmetics has partnered with HD makeup artist Marie DelPrete to help prepare professional artists for the transition, but she also has tips and tricks for women to create a perfect, yet natural makeup look:
- “Less is more – Think lightweight, sheer-textured foundations. I like liquids because they tend to simulate the look of skin. Powder delicately; you want neither matte nor shine. Think satin. Start light and build as needed.”
- “Cover Your Bases – pay special attention to coverage. Use a foundation as close as possible to your skin tone, and make sure you’ve remembered the neck, ears, chest, hands—wherever skin is exposed. With its heightened sensitivity to colour, HD will call you out if you’ve been careless.”
- “Use your colours wisely – Colours intensify on HDTV. For a less made-up look, choose neutrals that naturally occur in your skin. You can use bold hues, but use them delicately in thin washes. Avoid blocks of opaque colour on eyes, lips, cheeks—anywhere.”
- “Think sheen, not shine – HDTV exaggerates frosts, shimmers and glosses. Be very careful with any product that shines; it can accentuate wrinkles or appear as wetness. You want a subtle sheen, whether in eyeshadow, lipgloss or blush.”
- “Blend, blend, blend – HDTV loves sharp lines; Nature abhors them. No hard edges. Use the right brushes and sponges to blend, and keep all lines soft and diffused.”
INTRODUCING M·A·C IN HIGH DEF
The M·A·C In High Def collection is everything an artist or makeup aficionado needs to make a picture perfect face. The cornerstone of the collection is M·A·C Face and Body Foundation. Revered by makeup artists in the photography, film and fashion worlds, Face and Body Foundation has kept skin hydrated, smooth and satiny since it launched over 20 years ago – it’s truly the industry’s foundation of choice for a flawless face. Apply this foundation staple with 187 Duo Fibre and 188 Small Duo Fibre Face Brushes. Top off with Mineralize Skinfinish/Natural, this tag team foundation and baked powder works wonders by imitating skin’s natural texture and tone, a must for HDTV. Rounding out the collection are four smooth and subtle shades of Lipstick, ensuring lips are coated in creamy neutrality, perfect for a close-up.
HDTV MAKEUP MUST-HAVES
The digital wave means more than watching your favourite show or celebrity in sharp focus. The HD revolution marks a momentous change in makeup not only on the small screens and large screens but also on the streets! For 25 years, professional artists have relied on M·A·C to take care of their every makeup need. The M·A·C Artist Relations department, who liaises with these makeup masters on a daily basis, knows first-hand what works and what doesn’t in the professional arena. Here is what a few professional artists had to say about M·A·C…
“I use M·A·C Blot Powders and Mineralize Skinfinish/Natural because they don’t leave a heavy powder residue, and with HD, less is always better!”– Debbie Zoller, makeup department head for “Mad Men” and “Castle”
“On ‘Dancing with the Stars’, we always use Prime + Prep Skin, it creates a perfect poreless palette to begin the makeup and we love the Mineralize Skinfinish/Natural! It leaves skin matte and not too powdery looking. The Studio Sculpt Concealer is also fantastic. We love the colour range and it works right into the skin, making it look fresh and flawless.” – Melanie Mills, makeup department head for “Dancing with the Stars”
M·A·C Artist Relations polled top HDTV makeup artists for their favourite products and below is what they chose. The change is coming, so get your makeup bag HD-ready with these M·A·C must-haves:
- Prep + Prime – Create the look of flawless canvas on which makeup is applied. These products were developed specifically to be used with makeup while also offering skincare benefits.
- Face and Body Foundation – Water-based, water-resistant foundation that provides long-lasting, sheer, natural coverage for face and/or body (included in the M·A·C In High Def Collection).
- Mineralize Skinfinish/Natural – A luxurious baked face powder with over 77 minerals, provides a dimensional yet natural-matte finish (included in the M·A·C In High Def Collection).
- Blot Powder – A unique pressed powder designed primarily to provide shine control without creating a noticeable change in colour or texture. Sets foundation and finishes faces.
- Powder Blush in Pinch O’ Peach – This warm peach shade is an instant way to get your glow on.
- Mascara X – Clumps become incredibly visible on HDTV. This mascara builds dramatically longer, thicker and glossier looking lashes without smudging or clumping.
- Lipstick in Hug Me – A universally flattering flesh-toned pink.
- 187 Duo Fibre Brush and 188 Small Duo Fibre Face Brush – Circular brushes for lightweight application and blending of face powder or pigments that create soft layers or add textures.