Don’t Let Winter Put a Freeze On Your Beauty Routine!
Don’t Let Winter Put a On Freeze Your Beauty Routine!
Every winter, there are a few things that always happen: I can’t figure out how to dress warmly enough–ever–and I get a little lazy about maintaining certain aspects of my beauty routine. There’s really no excuse for it (though mine is it’s cold, and all I want do is curl up under a heap of blankets with hot cocoa). This January, P&G Beauty has challenged me to not get lazy just because winter is here.
Increase Hydration for Dry, Winter Skin
If you are fortunate enough to have beautifully hydrated skin year-round that never seems to make note of the season, lucky for you! But for the rest of us? Make sure to switch to the right kind of products to help boost hydration and moisture-retention as the outdoor temperatures cool down and you start turning the heat on. You may find that the products that worked well in the summer (or even fall) are no longer effective for the winter. A good way to improve your routine is by layering moisturizing products–like ensuring your face and body cleansers are adding hydration and getting the skin ready to absorb your moisturizer. Oh–and don’t forget the sunscreen; just because it’s winter, doesn’t mean the sun isn’t out and causing damage to the skin.
- Keep a travel-sized hand cream in your purse, at your desk, or by your night stand (or all three!), so you can easily reapply as necessary.
- Pick a body moisturizer/cream that works for your budget so you can slather it on as much (or as little) as you need without feeling like you need to “save” it.
- Try a serum designed to increase hydration or help lock in moisture in the skin.
- P&G Beauty Recommends: Olay Ultra Moisture Body Wash (preps skin for moisturizer) and Venus + Olay Razor (helps hydrate skin during and post-shave)
Have Happy Hair Under Wraps
Whether you keep your head warm with scarves, hoods, hats, or earmuffs, they can make time-consuming hair routines and styling a thing of the past. When we head indoors, off come the hats and hoods and scarves, so it’s still important to make time for healthy, happy hair that’s nourished and hydrated. Winter brings rain and snow for most of us, and it can impact hair negatively, so it’s important to look for the right shampoo and conditioner for your hair as it reacts to environmental changes. I look for more hydrating and restorative pairings and treatments. If you color your hair, try to keep up with your regular coloring routine, but if you’re pressed for time or don’t want to spend a lot during a season where you may not show off your hair as much, consider touching up roots only.
- Consider a leave-in conditioner or conditioning treatment
- Limit the amount of hair products you use that have a high alcohol content
- Use a dryer sheet lightly on hair to minimize the impact of static electricity
- P&G Beauty Recommends: Head & Shoulders Damage Rescue Shampoo/Conditioner (designed to repair damaged hair) and Clairol Nice ‘n Easy Root Touch-up (used to touch-up color in 10 minutes)
By keeping up with our regular routines, we won’t have to spend hours (or days) prepping for a fancy night out, whether it’s with friends, family, significant others, or even for business. It also means that you’ll spend less time trying to fix major damage, dryness, and the like, as spring approaches and summer follows.
What is the one beauty ritual you let go of during the winter? I’m super guilty of going longer between shaving my legs and being inconsistent about applying body cream/moisturizer (which I’m guilty of most of the year, actually).