10 Ways to Help the Environment Through Beauty
Expert in green beauty, Carole Tessier, shares her top ten tips to support positive environmental change.
1. Seek out products with minimal packaging or biodegradable and botanical packaging such as boxes embedded with seeds which you can plant in your garden, as well as lipstick tubes made out of polyactic acid (a corn-based material).
2. Put your best face forward with organic, chemical-free, synthetic-free products. Avoid synthetic or petroleum derived ingredients, artificial fragrances, parabens, dyes, flavors, petrolatum, phtalates and preservatives.
3. Support companies with green business practices such as printing with eco-friendly soy-based ink or using renewable energy sources.
4. Before purchasing your beauty products, look for the USDA label. In order to be labeled “organic,” all valid certifying agencies must comply with USDA standards.
5. Utilize multi-use products such as color that can go on eyes, cheeks and lips.
Get five more tips on making your beauty routine more environmentally friendly!
6. Choose nail polishes that are free of dibutyl phthalate (a chemical banned by the European Union).
7. Apply your makeup with fingers or brushes and avoid using cotton swabs and disposable sponges.
8. Save water by skipping a wash or limiting your shower time. And don’t forget to turn the water off while you’re scrubbing your face or brushing your teeth over the sink.
9. Save energy by unplugging all of your beauty tools after you’ve finished using them (they still zap electricity when turned off). And limit the use of a hairdryer or curling implements. Try letting your hair air dry or curling your hair with Velcro rollers.
10. Buy in bulk. Most beauty products can be purchased in large sizes. Not only will you save money, but it also cuts down on the amount of packaging.