NYFW Fall/Winter 2010: Aveda @ Jason Wu
Aveda @ Jason Wu
“The Jason Wu hair look for this season is all about charm—this is a look of romance and innocence. I took inspiration from Holly Hunter in the film, “The Piano.” –Odile Gilbert for Aveda
- Prep damp hair with Aveda Smooth Infusion™ Glossing Straightener for added shine and straightness, and blow-dry smooth with a flat brush.
- Use a comb to create a clean part—either in the center or wherever hair parts naturally. Then pull hair into a loose ponytail at the nape of the neck, allowing hair on either side of the ponytail to cover the ears and rest at chin length. Spray with Aveda Control Force™ Hair Spray for all-day strong hold.
- Wrap a 10-inch bungee elastic around the ponytail, criss-crossing it from top to bottom to create a braid-like pattern. Tie securely at the bottom and set with Aveda Control Force™ Hair Spray.
- Wrap the braided ponytail into a flat chignon at the back of the head and secure with hair pins.
- Allow a few loose pieces of hair to fall naturally around the face. The sides should be loose and romantic while the chignon is more tightly secured in place. Finish the look with Aveda Control Force™ Hair Spray for lightweight hold.
See more photos!
Q: What was your inspiration for this look? How did you collaborate with the designer to create the look?
“Jason and I were inspired by Holly Hunter in the beach scene in the film “The Piano,” so we wanted the hair look for this season to reflect that sentiment. It’s very young and innocent, with a clean part and loose hair in front—yet there is an element of sophistication with the braided chignon. The look is soft and romantic.”—Odile Gilbert for Aveda
Q: How could a woman achieve this look on her own?
“This look is easily translatable for day or night, but can be especially romantic for evening. Prep hair with Aveda Smooth Infusion™ Glossing Straightener and blow dry straight. Create a low ponytail, with hair loosely covering the ears. Wrap the ponytail with a bungee elastic or make a simple braid, and pin it up into a flat chignon.”—Odile Gilbert for Aveda
Q: What is the inspiration for your collection? What is the look you are capturing?
“This season, I was inspired by Irving Penn’s photographs—especially the platinum prints. I wanted to reflect Penn’s own personal style in my collection, as well as his body of work.” – Jason Wu
Q: You have made a real effort to “green” your show this season. How do you feel about this accomplishment?
“In addition to my collection having a somewhat earthy inspiration and theme, keeping the entire enterprise eco-friendly is of the utmost importance to me. By using “green” products backstage and keeping waste to a minimum, the fashion community can do their part to lessen their environmental impact.” – Jason Wu