NYFW Fall/Winter 2010: Aveda @ Christian Siriano
Aveda @ Christian Siriano
“The Jason Wu hair look for this season is all about charm—this is a look of romance and innocence. I took inspiration from Holly Hunter in the film, “The Piano.” – Odile Gilbert for Aveda
- Prep hair with Aveda Air Control™ Hair Spray for light, workable hold.
- Working from bottom to top, curl hair in one-inch pieces with a medium barrel curling iron. Loop each curled piece around your finger and pin against the head to set the curl. Allow curls to cool, and then remove clips. Gently brush hair out.
- Separate a top section of hair—from the hairline to the crown—and pin it away to separate. Backcomb the remainder of hair and spray with Aveda Air Control™ Hair Spray to create ultra-volume. Brush backcombed hair through.
- Gather the left side of hair and pull tightly to the back of the head. Pin in place vertically, up the center line of the head, with bobby pins. Smooth hair against the head with fingers and spray with Aveda Air Control™ Hair Spray to minimize flyaways.
- Gather the right side of hair and pull tightly to the back of the head. Wrap hair inwards around your fingers to create a tornado-like twist. Pin in place and spray with Aveda Control Force™ Hair Spray for ultra-strong hold.
- Remove pins from the remaining front section of hair and backcomb to create volume. Spray with Aveda Air Control™ Hair Spray. Comb hair away from the face and pin to the top of the twist, creating wave-like volume at the crown of the head. Set the look with Aveda Control Force™ Hair Spray.
See more photos!
Q: What was your inspiration for this look? How did you collaborate with the designer to create the look?
“Christian and I were inspired by Veronica Lake and 1960’s vintage Parisian glamour. The swept-up, wavy look echoes the romantic silhouettes and movement in this season’s collection.” — Antoinette Beenders for Aveda
Q: How could a woman achieve this look on her own?
“This look can be adapted for a very chic and glamorous evening. Prep hair by blow drying smooth and curling hair in one-inch pieces. Brush curls through, spraying with Aveda Air Control™ Hair Spray for light, workable hold. Pull hair back tightly and wind it into a twist, pinning it against the head with bobby pins. Finish the look by backcombing the front section of hair, brushing it through and twisting it back. Pin in place to create ultra-volume and a glamorous, retro effect.” — Antoinette Beenders for Aveda
Q: What is the inspiration for your collection? What is the look you are capturing?
“The collection is inspired by 1960’s Parisian women and the idea of getting dressed up from day into evening. It is a collection filled with effortless, soft, romantic shapes and silhouettes that compliment strong, structured jackets, coats, and cocktail dresses.” —Christian Siriano
Q: You have made a real effort to “green” your show this season. How do you feel about this accomplishment?
“This season, we have been experimenting with organic cotton for some of our casual day wear pieces. We reduce our carbon footprint every season by producing in New York City. It feels great to be able to contribute to the idea of going green.” —Christian Siriano