Tarte Carried Away Collection
Get Carried Away with This Kit
Tarte Carried Away Collection ($54.00) is a Sephora-exclusive set that contains one blush (0.05 oz.), one finishing powder (0.07 oz.), one mascara (0.16 oz.), one face brush, eight lipglosses (0.059), and twenty-four eyeshadows (0.06 oz.). It is all housed in a soft case. The eyeshadow palette is cleverly tucked away inside of the case, behind the mirror. It’s currently out of stock online, though it can be found in-stores.
- Adventurous (Amazonian Clay Blush) is a warm-toned, muted, reddish-brown with a rosy iridescent sheen. It had good color payoff, and it was soft and smooth applied. This shade wore for seven hours on me. NARS G-Spot is redder. MAC Stratus is more intense and a bit redder. Tom Ford Savage is a touch darker. MAC Buddy Up is similar.
- Finishing Powder is very finely-milled and soft. I did not test the wear of this item.
- Face Brush is fairly soft, dense, and blended out the Adventurous blush well.
- Lights, Camera, Lashes! (Mascara) didn’t flake or smudge on me when I’ve worn it in the recent past.
The eight glosses included in the set were sheer to semi-sheer, thin, and wore for an average of two hours. Several of the shades looked very alike when applied.
- Heath is a sheer orange-red with gold shimmer. Chantecaille Glaze is similar–a bit brighter.
- Casey is a sheer, neutral-warm light pink. It just looks clear on me–any sheer, shimmer-free gloss with a pink-tinted base will work in its place.
- Mel is a sheer, cool-toned pink with no shimmer. MAC Infinitely Likeable is creamier, more opaque. MAC Pagoda is a touch bluer-based, lighter.
- Anne is a sheer raspberry pink with no shimmer. Bobbi Brown Cosmic Pink is comparable on.
- Jena is a sheer red-pink with no shimmer. This gives lips a slight reddish tint. MAC Fabulous Fun is a touch brighter and has shimmer.
- Mer is a light-medium pink with yellow undertones and gold sparkle. Tarte Darling is similar; smaller shimmer. MAC Floating Lotus is pinker.
- Ali is a darkened fuchsia-pink with light pink shimmer. MAC Dress Kimono is redder.
- Nuria is a brightened pinky-red with no shimmer. MAC Dress Kimono is closer in color to this shade but has sparkle. Le Metier de Beaute Hibiskiss is similar, has slight shimmer. Burberry Hibiscus is darker.
Snowfall in Paris is a shimmering white with a subtle warm undertone. It has a frosted finish and so-so color payoff–there’s noticeable sheerness. Tarte Shooting Star is less shimmery. MAC How to Marry is whiter. Dior Night Golds is very similar. Too Faced Vanilla is more matte.
Golden Gate Bridge is a soft, darkened gold with a frosted, metallic finish and orange-brown tones. It had good pigmentation and was soft and smooth. Dior Night Golds is a bit darker. Tarte Canary Diamond is less frosted, more metallic. L’Oreal Eternal Sunshine is yellower.
Volcanic Ash is a dark, smoldering brown with a cool undertone and dark champagne shimmer. It had good pigmentation, and the texture was a little dry. bareMinerals VIP is incredibly similar. Too Faced Licorice is more matte. Cinderella Cinders is also similar.
Pyramid Gold is a light-medium bronze with a champagne metallic sheen. It had nice color payoff with a soft, smooth texture. MAC Silk Stocking is very similar. Chanel Harmonie du Soir is darker. Urban Decay Echo Beach is less warm-toned. Dior Fairy Golds is sparkly.
Seychelles Sand is a medium taupe with a strong gray tone. It has a matte finish, and it was actually a little less pigmented than anticipated though not powdery. Tarte Sailboat is lighter. Bobbi Brown Slate is darker. Bobbi Brown China is warmer.
Touchdown in Londontown is a vibrant violet purple with cool undertones and a fuchsia-pink edge. It has a pearly sheen. The color payoff was good, but it was a little powdery. Make Up For Ever #26 is similar but a cream product. Clarins Enchanted is similar. Tarina Tarantino Violet Storm is less pink. Inglot #441 is purpler.
Martha’s Vineyard is a deep, blackened purple with red undertones and a matte finish. This shade was a bit dry, and so it ended up sheer, too. MAC Indian Ink is purpler. MAC Shadowy Lady is similar. Tarte Pumped About Purple is shimmery.
Pebble Beach is a warm, peachy beige with a frosted, metallic finish. It had good color payoff and was smooth to the touch. Wet ‘n’ Wild Sparkle ‘Til Morning is very similar. Cinderella Midnight Hour is a smidgen darker.
Boston Brick is a darkened taupe with a hint of warmth and a matte finish. It had good color payoff and wasn’t powdery. Giorgio Armani Moonlight Beige is lighter. Estee Lauder Tempting Mocha is grayer.
Spanish Sangria is a gold-shimmered plum with soft pink-red tones. It had so-so color payoff–a bit sheer. Tarte Ice Wine is similar but more muted.
Napa Grapes is a darkened eggplant purple with a matte finish. It had decent color payoff but was powdery. OCC Overlook is shimmery. MAC Fig. 1 is comparable. bareMinerals Nightcap is also comparable. Guerlain Boulevard du Montparnasse is a touch lighter.
Tuscan Sun is a coppered orange with a metallic sheen. It had excellent pigmentation and was incredibly smooth and easy to work with. Wet ‘n’ Wild Sparkle ‘Til Morning is a touch darker. Urban Decay Penny Lane is softer. Tarte Cabana is less metallic.
Acai Jungle is a medium-dark red-toned bronze brown with a softened metallic sheen. It had great color payoff and was soft and smooth to use. MAC Ever Elegant is more orange. Cinderella Chateau is slightly subdued in comparison.
Coral Reef is a pink-ish orange with gold shimmer-sheen. It’s one of the more interesting shades in the set–there’s something about it that says “tamed fire” to me. It had good color payoff and was soft but not powdery. MAC Hot Paprika was the closest I could think of, but it is a bit redder.
Iceland Air is a cool-toned white with a frosted, metallic finish. The payoff is so-so with some sheerness. MAC Winterscape is similar, perhaps not as stark. MAC She’s Got Class is similar in color but more frosted. Cinderella Ball Gown is comparable in color.
Hampton Waves is a bluish-teal with a mostly matte finish. This shade had good color payoff but was very powdery, so it was easy to blend away into something sheer. Giorgio Armani Ecailles Black Pearl is shimmery. bareMinerals Water has a slight sheen.
Sunshine State is a pale, sparkling gold. It has a chunkier, more glitter-like texture, which also resulted in sheer color payoff. Wet ‘n’ Wild Sparkle ‘Til Morning is a touch darker and less sparkly. Tarte Bellini is darker and less shimmery/sparkly. Cinderella Charming is less sparkly. Dior Couture Gold is a touch lighter.
Hawaiian Palm is a muted, light-medium green with a soft golden sheen. It had so-so color payoff, but it applied smoothly. bareMinerals Wicked is lighter. Wet ‘n Wild Comfort Zone is similar. MAC Juxt is yellower.
Sin City is a dark, sooty gray with brown undertones and a little bronze sparkle. This was the worst performing shade in the palette–super sheer and powdery. It looks a lot darker swatched than it did in the pan. Tarte Stiletto is lighter.
Overall, it’s a set that’s certainly worth its price tag, even despite some imperfections. I think if you already own a few Tarte eyeshadow palettes, you’re going to run into enough overlap for it to be frustrating. (The same is true for several brands that launch mega-sized palettes and sets like this one.) I like the inclusion of the face products, because it helps make the whole kit a great starter selection to give to someone. I think the lipglosses are a little drying and similar to each other, so they’re not my favorite. The formula was thin and didn’t wear as long as the average gloss. The eyeshadows come in “quads” in a way, which instantly creates several distinct looks to try. Some of the eyeshadows are great, some are good, and a few are so-so.