Make Up For Ever Aqua Shadows: #0E, 2E, 4E, 6E, 8E, 20E
Make Up For Ever Aqua Shadows #0E, 2E, 4E, 6E, and 8E
Please see my first post on the Aqua Shadows for a detailed review, along with photos, of texture, consistency, wear, and so forth. This post is specifically looking at the five matte finish Make Up For Ever Aqua Shadows ($20.00 for 0.14 oz.).
- #0E is a rich black with a matte finish. It has good color payoff in a single pass, and it has a very subtle brown undertone. You’ll find it’s comparable to numerous black eyeliners so long as they’re deeper, richer blacks (instead of a soft black).
- #2E is a dark red-toned brown with a matte finish. It has good color payoff in a single go, and it builds well. This shade had a creamier consistency compared to some of the other shades. Milani Brown is slighty lighter. Chanel Brun-Teak has similar red tones but is lighter. Urban Decay Demolition is a bit darker, less warm.
- #4E is a medium-dark gray with a hint of brown and a matte finish. The pigmentation is only so-so in a single go–it’s a bit drier so it doesn’t fill in every space with really rich, even pigment. CoverGirl Silver Spark is a bit like this, but the finishes are very different, and it is also much lighter.
- #6E is an intense navy blue with a matte finish. It’s very bold, and it has good color payoff, though it’s not as buildable as the other shades. MAC Marine Ultra is similar in finish but lighter. Urban Decay Binge is not quite as dark and has shimmer.
- #8E is a darkened green-teal with a matte finish. This shade had the best color payoff in a single stroke, and it was a bit creamier than shades like #4E. This shade compares well to Prescriptives Blue Grotto. It’s a bit darker and greener compared to NARS Kaliste. Urban Decay Clinic is lighter and shimmery.
To summarize my earlier review: the matte shades are a bit creamier, and as a consequence, they do not hold up as well as the shimmery shades. I do get significant and noticeable creasing, and it looks pitiful after eight hours, when I’ve worn these alone. When I wear them with eyeshadow on top, they perform much better, and I didn’t have any creasing problems even after eight hours. Over a primer but still with nothing on top, they wear marginally better but still have noticeable creasing over the eight hour period. These are also prone to smudging on their own but also if water hits them, so they’re not quite waterproof or smudge-proof.