MAC In the Groove Collection: Overall Review & Round-up
In the Groove debuts in-store on Thursday, July 8th, but it’s been online since Tuesday morning. It’s a pretty massive launch with over thirty pieces and nearly all of them new and limited edition. Personally, it feels too big–it’s a little overwhelming and hard to focus on which products really stand out amongst the rest.
These are definitely some of the better formulated mineralize products that MAC has put out. I say this as someone who is, generally, not a fan of mineralize eyeshadows. I have always found them to look pretty in the pan than in practice–even using them wet never generated the look and feel I wanted out of them. The payoff on the lids is very much like what you see in a swatch–it doesn’t look faded. I also noticed that these were significantly less powdery and have a creamier, buttery texture.
Video review… grab some popcorn–it’s about 10 minutes longer than I wanted!
I think the pigmentation is good across the board with a couple of misses, and it’s important to realize that there really aren’t any bright, in-your-face kind of shades here. These are softer, subtler shades–more universally wearable–and the textures reflect that.
The blushes aren’t too glittery, though they’re all shimmery, but you can choose your shimmer level, since only half of each duo is really shimmery. If you’re more of a matte or semi-matte finish kind of person for cheeks, I’d recommend skipping the blushes and mineralize skinfinishes.
Must-haves:In the Groove Mineralize Eyeshadow Trio, Making It Easy Mineralize Eyeshadow Trio, Happy Together Blush Duo, By Candlelight Mineralize Skinfinish, Jazzed Lipstick
Nice-to-haves:Togetherness Mineralize Eyeshadow Trio, Love to Love Mineralize Mineralize Eyeshadow Trio, Band of Roses Blush Duo, Hang Loose Blush Duo, Stereo Rose Mineralize Skinfinish, Petticoat Mineralize Skinfinish, Chillin’ Cremesheen Glass
Skip: Cool, Calm, Collected Mineralize Eyeshadow Trio
- Skip ALL STYLED UP if you have VIVA GLAM GAGA, SAINT GERMAIN, SNOB, OR REAL DOLL. (They are not 100% identical, but they are all in the same family and very close.)
- Skip GO FOR IT if you have VIOLETTA (PRO)–unless you want something sheerer and less red-toned.
- Skip the CREMESHEEN GLASSES if you want pigmented lip color. They are not it.
- Skip JAZZED if you have RAVISHING (permanent) & VEGAS VOLT (permanent)–you can mix the two to get something very similar.
- Skip I LIKE IT LIKE THAT if you get ALL STYLED UP (or vice versa) but you don’t need both.
- Skip CALL MY BLUFF if you have FRESH BREW–it’s a smidgen cooler and they have different finishes.
- Skip YOU’VE GOT IT if you have CHAI (permanent)–unless you prefer a non-sticky texture.
- Skip HANG LOOSE if you have WELL-DRESSED (permanent)–unless you want more shimmer.
- Skip BAND OF ROSES if you have DOLLYMIX (permanent)–but the former is more versatile as you can lighten/darken as you desire.
- Skip STYLE INFLUENCER if you have DEEP TRUTH (permanent) or one of its many limited edition variations.
Don’t forget to…
Check your stash for CREME D’NUDE (permanent), BY CANDLELIGHT (from Warm & Cozy), STEREO ROSE (from Goldplay), COMFORT (from Warm& Cozy), PETTICOAT (from Sheer Minerals).
Recommendations by Skin Tone
- Best Picks for Lighter Skin Tones: Cool, Calm, Collected Mineralize Eyeshadow Trio, Making it Easy Mineralize Eyeshadow Trio, Hang Loose Blush Duo, Band of Roses Blush Duo, By Candlelight Mineralize Skinfinish, Petticoat Mineralize Skinfinish, Going Casual Cremesheen Glass, All Styled Up Lipstick, Creme d’Nude Lipstick
- Best Picks for Medium Skin Tones: Love to Love Mineralize Eyeshadow Trio, Making it Easy Mineralize Eyeshadow Trio, Happy Together Blush Duo, Band of Roses Blush Duo, Stereo Rose Mineralize Skinfinish, Right Image Cremesheen Glass, Jazzed Lipstick
- Best Picks for Darker Skin Tones: Togetherness Mineralize Eyeshadow Trio, Blue My Mind Mineralize Eyeshadow Trio, A Little Bit of Sunshine Blush Duo, Band of Roses Blush Duo, Stereo Rose Mineralize Skinfinish, Comfort Mineralize Skinfinish, You’ve Got It Cremesheen Glass, Go For It Lipstick
Product Photos, Swatches, & Reviews
- Cremesheen Glasses
- Mineralize Blush Duos
- Mineralize Eyeshadow Trios
- Mineralize Skinfinishes