Weekend Quickies: Beauty News & Events (January 16th, 2010)
Weekend Quickies: Beauty News & Events
Most importantly, to help aid Haitians, you can donate $10 via texting “Haiti” to 90999 to the Red Cross. The donation amount will be added to your cell phone bill. You can also donate $5 via texting YELE to 501501 (again, the donation amount will be added to your cell phone bill). The most effective way to help is by providing monetary aid rather than goods or products. Make sure if you donate you are confident in the organization you’re donating to.
- In related news, several brands are donating a portion of sales/proceeds towards relief for Haiti. From what I’ve gathered so far via email and Twitter notifications, here are the brands and what they’re doing: Josie Maran (50% of all proceeds through the end of January towards Red Cross), Dr. Dennis Gross (10% of purchases from 1/15 to 1/18), Mario Badescu ($0.50 per product purchased towards Red Cross), Bond No. 9 (10% of proceeds from The Scent of Pease towards the Red Cross), PHYTO Hair Care (holding a fundraiser on January 21st), P&G (product and monetary donations, employee contribution matching), Kiehl’s ($5,000 to PSI, $1 per RT of their post up to $5K).
- Urban Decay launched their Alice in Wonderland palette, which features sixteen shades of their best-selling eyeshadows renamed with an Alice in Wonderland theme. It also includes two miniature-sized eyeliners and Primer Potion. According to @UrbanDecay411, it’s now sold out on the website, but we can expect to see it show up at retailers like Sephora in early February. Did you grab yours? Speaking of Alice in Wonderland, OPI’s four inspired shades are now available at various retailers and etailers.
- Shiseido offers up $1.7B to purchase Bare Escentuals. (WWD) Whew!
- Bobbi Brown has launched her Pretty Powerful campaign, and the campaign kicked off with a live Q&A session held on Twitter. The campaign is all about real women and real beauty. The campaign includes several different aspects from before-and-after galleries to video contests.
- Chanel will launch a brand new line of lipsticks in late Spring called Rouge Coco. It’s designed to be a long-lasting and moisturizing lipstick that will replace the existing Hydrabase line (so stock-up, if that’s your favorite formula). It will launch in March, with each shade retailing for $30. There are four color families: Roses-Pinks, Reds-Corals, Violets-Berries, and Neutrals-Browns–Chanel expects to offer 9 shades in Roses-Pinks, 8 in Reds-Corals, 4 in Violets-Berries, and 9 in Neutrals-Browns. There will be an additional seven shades that will be available internationally. (WWD)
- Illamasqua wants to know — do fans in the States want to see their Pastel Mint Varnishes in the Spring? (Nudge – mint; Blow – lemon; Caress – powder blue; Wink – lilac) Expect Body Electrics–all about seductive bronze–as their spring/summer launch, too. Those in London can check them out at IMATS on January 30th and 31st.
- Napoleon Perdis will be making an in-store appearance and doing makeovers next weekend, January 23rd, at the San Francisco Centre. To book ($100, fully redeemable in product), call 415.546.1711.
- Bergdorf Goodman is running their “Smart Beauty” event starting this Monday, January 18th, through Saturday, January 30th. You can receive a couture cosmetic bag filled with deluxe-sized samples with any $200 or more purchase on their beauty level. You’ll see brands like AmorePacific, Awake, Bulgari, Chantecaille, Clinque, DaNa Decker, Kanebo Sensai, Kiehl’s Since 1851, Laura Mercier, ReVive, Sisley-Paris, and Tom Ford included in your beauty gift.
- Halle Berry to launch Pure Orchid fragrance — yet another celebrity fragrance, are you intrigued or tired of ‘em? Pure Orchid is slated for a February launch and features top notes of crisp Italian lemon, papaya nectar fizz, and jungle cactus flower, with a heart of Masdevallia orchid, blackberry creme concentre and star anise, and a final dry down of gaitn sequoia, patchouli leaf, and tonka bean. It’s described as “a voluptuous floral experience.” Fancy! (WWD)
- Get ready to see Katy Perry and Avril Lavigne in upcoming Proactiv commercials and advertisements! (WWD)