Tutorial – Super Smoky Black, Green, and Gold Eye
This tutorial is designed to show you step-by-step how to create a dramatic super smoky green and gold eye look.
You will need: Emerald Green pigment (rich emerald green as a base) + water-based mixing medium*, Goldmine eyeshadow (true gold), Wondergrass eyeshadow (bright medium green), Humid eyeshadow (deep forest green), Carbon eyeshadow (matte black), Golden Lemon pigment (frosty gold), Nylon eyeshadow (frosty off-white highlighter), Blacktrack fluidline (black gel liner), Femme Noir eyeshadow (matte dark green), and Plushlash plushblack mascara (black mascara) for the eyes. For cheeks: Other Worldly blush (dirty bronze); for lips: CB96 lipstick (frosty coral), C-Thru lipglass (nude), and Reflects Bronze glitter (glittery gold-bronze).
Brushes: 208, 219, 239 x3**
* Water-based mixing medium is a PRO product sold by MAC or DIY with 1 part glycerin (liquid) + 3 parts water.
** 239 #1 will be used wet; 239 #2 will be used for most of the shadows; 239 #3 will be used for black shadow
Get the step-by-step instructions with photos…
Yellow shadow = Going Bananas (oops, not used in this look!)
Green shadow = Wondergrass
Black pot = Blacktrack fluidline
Dark green shadow pan = Humid
Dark green jar = Emerald Green pigment
Black shadow pan = Carbon
Gold jar = Golden Lemon pigment
Dirty bronze blush = Other Worldly
1. Start with a clean eye-space; if you fill-in your brows, you’re welcome to do them now [or later]. Ignore my stray bits of brow (just plucked!).
2. Use one of your 239s with a few drops of water-based mixing medium and then pick up Emerald Geren pigment.
3. Apply it all over your lid.
4. Pull it outwards to cover your entire lid area.
5. This is what it should look like.
6. Pick up Goldmine eyeshadow with your other 239.
7. Apply to the very inner portion of your lid, very much near your inner tearduct.
8. Sweep it upwards above the Emerald Green pigment.
9. This is what it looks like.
10. Apply a generous amount of Wondergrass eyeshadow using your 239 brush to the inner alf of the lid.
11. Pull outwards to even out the color.
12. This is what you should have.
13. Apply Humid eyeshadow to the outer half of your lid using the same 239 brush.
14. Pull the brush downwards the blend the color towards your upper lash line.
15. This is what you should have.
16. Apply Humid eyeshadow into the outer crease, starting about halfway on your lid.
17. This is what it looks like now.
18. Pick up more Goldmine eyeshadow and sweep over the inner tearduct and overlap just a touch of the inner lid geren.
19. Pull and sweep upwards to help blend the green and gold together.
20. This is how it looks so far.
21. Pick up additional Goldmine eyeshadow and apply it above the green line, blending the green and gold together to eliminate the harsher green line.
22. Pull your brush outwards to blend the colors together.
23. This is what it looks like now. Technically speaking, you could leave the look as is – we’re going to make it darker and add more gold to it overall from here on out, but it can stand alone like this.
24. Using your third 239 brush, pick up Carbon eyeshadow (go light rather than heavy when doing this–you can always darken, but it’s tough to lighten!), apply it to the outer third lid.
25. This is what it looks like.
26. Apply it to the outer crease by gently tapping it into the crease.
27. Pull the brush outwards to blend Carbon eyeshadow upwards and outwards.
28. This is how it looks at this point.
29. Apply Nylon eyeshadow to the brow bone to highlight.
30. Blend it outwards.
31. This is what it looks like here.
32. Using your general shadow 239 brush, pick up Golden Lemon pigment and pat it once on the inner third of your lid, then middle third, and then the outer lid.
33. This is what it looks like tapped out.
34. Sweep your brush back and forth to blend out the Golden Lemon pigment, it’ll turn a very yellow green.
35. This is what it looks like when completely blended.
36. Apply Wondergrass eyeshadow over the inner half of the lid again.
37. This is what it looks like now.
38. Apply additional Humid eyeshadow to the outer half of the lid.
39. This is what it looks like now.
40. Tap your third 239 brush into Carbon eyeshadow and darken the outer crease.
41. Blend the color outwards.
42. This is what it looks like now.
43. With the 219 brush, apply Goldmine eyeshadow to the lower lash line.
44. This is what it looks like now.
45. Apply Humid eyeshadow to the outer portion of the lower lash line.
46. This is what it looks like now.
47. Darken the crease if you are so inclined (I did).
48. With the 208 brush, dab it into Blacktrack fluidline and apply a thin line across your upper lash line.
49. A tapping motion from inner to outer lash line helps to deposit the color easily. Patience is key!
50. This is what it looks like now.
51. With your 219 brush, apply Femme Noir eyeshadow over Blacktrack fluidline.
52. This is what it looks like now.
53. This is what it looks like now (open).
54. Dip your Graphblack technakhol into Blacktrack fluidline and apply to lower lash line.
55. This is what it looks like now. Add black mascara and you’re finished.