5 My Lips But Better Lipsticks
Reader Charmaine wanted to see five MLBB lipsticks, and here are five that might work for you. “My Lips But Better” are lipsticks that accentuate, perfect, or otherwise better your natural lip color, which means that a lot of it hinges on what your natural lip color is. Instead of choosing only shades that were my MLBB shades, I tried to pick a variety of colors that could give that kind of look.
What are your favorite MLBB shades?
The Spring Season: Cooler Pinks Lipstick Wrap-up
For our next visual recap of the Spring Season, we’re showcasing all of the cooler-toned pink lipsticks.
- #1 (Benefit Jing-a-ling) is like a lighter, cooler version of #8 (Urban Decay Rush).
- #6 (MAC Hue) and #7 (Maybelline Born With It) seem awfully similar, with Hue not quite as pink. #5 (MAC Angel) is pinker than both the Born With It and Hue.
- Benefit Jing-a-ling Lipstick
- Guerlain Gentiane Rouge G Lipstick
- Guerlain Georgia Rouge G Lipstick
- Lancome Love It! Lipstick
- MAC Angel Lipstick
- MAC Hue Lipstick
- Maybelline Born With It Lipstick
- Urban Decay Rush Lipstick
The Spring Season: Urban Decay Rush Lipstick
Urban Decay Rush Lipstick ($22.00) is a beautiful shade of creamy, no-shimmered rosy pink. It has a glistening sheen that makes lips look a little fuller and more pout-y. It applies easily and goes opaque in about two layers. It’s a very natural, soft shade of pink, so it’s suitable for everyday wear or to complement a darker eyeshadow look. I like the way it hugs lips and looks subtle but still way better than my natural lip! I get decent wear (about four hours) with this shade, and it’s moisturizing without being thick. It smells very sweet, maybe a creme brulee or caramel kind of scent.
Is this the right pink for you? Would you wear it?
The Spring Season is a series of posts featuring my favorite soft beige, coral, and pink lipsticks and lipglosses — all perfect for the first blossom of spring — that runs through March 2010.
Valentine’s Day Makeup: Soft Neutrals & Pink Lips
So, opposite of the last look, here’s a very soft look one could wear. I call it Valentine’s Day makeup, but you could really wear it any time. I think it’s quite appropriate for a variety of occasions! I wore this to school on Wednesday, which worked for me; I was able to wear *something* but not feel out of place or too young. (I’m probably one of the younger people in my program.)
You will need the following…
- Eyes: MAC Soft Ochre paint pot (neutral beige base), (champagne pink), Too Faced Silk Teddy Eyeshadow (champagne pink), Too Faced Peach Fuzz Eyeshadow (peach-beige), Too Faced Cocoa Puff Eyeshadow (warm chocolate brown), Too Faced Teddy Bear Eyeshadow (dark mushroom brown), Too Faced Heaven Eyeshadow (matte beige), Urban Decay Underground 24/7 Liner (brown), MAC Plushlash (black)
- Face: Kiehl’s Tinted Moisturizer (medium)
- Cheeks: Smashbox Paradise Blush (peachy-pink)
- Lips: Urban Decay Rush Lipstick (soft pink), Chanel Pinup Glossimer (champagne gold)
- Brushes: 266 (firm, angled brush), 226 (fluffy crease brush), 219 (pointed crease brush), 214 (smudge brush), 249 (flat, firm brush), 239 (fluffy shadow brush), 129 (dense blush brush)
- Substitutes: N/A
For eyes, start by applying Soft Ochre paint pot as your eyeshadow base all over the lid with the 249. Using the 239, apply Silk Teddy eyeshadow on the inner third of the eyelid. Next, apply Peach Fuzz eyeshadow on the middle third of the eyelid and lightly blend with the inner corner. Darken the outer third of the lid with Cocoa Puff eyeshadow with the 239, gently brushing it into the lower crease. Next, define the crease by applying Teddy Bear eyeshadow with the 226. Lightly tap and brush Silk Teddy eyeshadow directly above the crease to soften. To finish the eyeshadow look, sweep Heaven eyeshadow as a highlighter on the brow bone. Bring everything together by applying Underground Liner on the lower lash line, and then sweeping lashes with Plushlash mascara.
For cheeks, apply Paradise blush to the apples of the cheeks and sweep upwards towards the temple with the 116.
For lips, apply Rush lipstick first, and then layer Pinup glossimer for a soft lip look.