Urban Decay Heavy Metal Glitter Eyeliner ($18.00 for 0.25 fl. oz.) is a glitter eyeliner with colored glitter suspended in a clear base. Uncapped and you’ll find a thin eyeliner brush attached (much like the typical liquid liner). There are currently eleven shades available–from fuchsia to blue to iridescent.
Heavy Metal Glitter Eyeliner
- Catfight is a deep fuchsia-pink.
- Groupie is a pale, muted pink–very muted.
- Baked is a deep golden-toned brown.
- Midnight Cowboy is a silvery taupe brown.
- Spandex is a multi-colored array of blue and gold and brown glitter. (Looks absolutely nothing like it does in the tube–the rest do.)
- Air Guitar is a slightly lightened medium blue.
- Stagedive is a blue-based teal.
- Mullet is a slightly olive-toned green.
- Metalhead is a medium dark violet purple.
- Glam Rock is a medium silvery-gray.
- Distortion is a whitish, iridescent mix of multi-colored and pink glitter.
What I like using these glitter eyeliners for is to layer over Urban Decay’s 24/7 Liners (or any liner, really–they just coordinate well with Urban Decay’s 24/7 Liners). Alone, they’re just so-so, because the clear base makes them apply kind of sketchy. They can also be used over eyeshadow, too, for the same kind of effect.
In the swatches, you’ll see how it’s not a very clear, even or defined line of glitter. When you use it over a liner, it works much better, because you get the sparkle of the glitter, but the colored liner fills in any gaps so the glitter actually pops.
I think I’d love these more if they had colored bases as well, just because it’d be more of a two-in-one and require a little less effort on my part. They just may make excellent, super glittery bases if they were in a colored base, too… Hm! Nevertheless, they were designed to have a clear base, so I won’t knock the product because my preference is different. It’s much like Urban Decay describes, and I love the range of shades they have.
Oh! One more idea, Urban Decay, how about a holiday set of miniature sized versions of these? Would be awesome methinks!
See more photos and swatches…