Nelson Chan, a celebrity hair colorist and stylist and founder of Nelson J hair salon in luxe Beverly Hills, offers some tips to budget when it comes to your hair color!
“If budget is preventing a client from coming into the salon every 4 weeks to touch up their base and highlights, I advise women to color the re-growth area at home and then come to the salon only for their highlights and cuts,” explains Chan. “While it’s possible to easily do the re-growth area at home, the highlights are complicated because they require more skill, as their placement is so important.”
Chan offers these tips for at-home coloring:
- Don’t overlap the hair color, only apply it to the re-growth area
- Use ammonia-free hair color to refresh this area, as ammonia damages hair
- Or use semi-permanent colors
- Color re-growth every four weeks (this may save $50 – $100 per month)
- Always follow color with a moisturizing treatment: after shampooing, towel dry hair, then apply moisturizer on ends, letting it sit for 5 minutes before rinsing it out.
“For highlights, you can generally wait up to 2-3 months before coming to the salon if your haircolor and highlights are generally dark. But if your haircolor is light, or if your highlights contrast greatly from your natural haircolor, I recommend coming in every 6 weeks,” states Chan.
He also suggests reducing your visit frequency to save some money on hair cuts, and he says to get creative in styling your hair between visits.
Prescriptives is having their Friends & Family Event today through the 24th!
Thevi Cosmetics is pleased to announce an exclusive offer to Temptalia readers! Temptalia readers can receive 25% off their next purchase through October 31, 2008 by emailing temptaliapromo@thevicosmetics for a personalized coupon code.
Shop at www.freeze247.com and receive 50% OFF and FREE SHIPPING on any order over $45. Use code THANKS1. This offer is good through October 14th!Â
Zoya wants YOU to vote, both in their unofficial “Polish Poll,” as well as in real life.Â