5 Fun Duochromes
Reader Sarah wanted to see five duochromes, and I thought I’d try to get some variety in type of product. A product with a duochrome finish or color will look like one color when you look at it straight on, and then when you angle it, it can look like an entirely different color (or nearly so). MAC has several duochrome eyeshadows and pigments (more than most other brands that I’m aware of)–far more than the two here on the list.
What’s your favorite duochrome beauty product?
Nail Lacquers: Out of This World, It’s Not Rocket Science, Haley’s Comet
Intergalactic, Planetary, Planetary, Intergalactic
This September, ORLY’s Cosmic FX Collection will launch. According to ORLY, these polishes have a textured finish that have multi-dimensional flashes of shine as a result of “MINERAL FX” technology. This technology uses a mix of natural rock minerals, crystals, and glass that give these shades an optical effect. All six shades will retail for $10 each and are limited edition.
The MINERALFX technology includes specialty mica, that allows for a clearer, vibrantly bright lustrous shimmer. Crystals allow for a multi-dimensional color transformation. Glass particles carefully controlled in shape and size create a luminous phenomenon. This combination infused with the Silica and specific colors selected create this exclusive technology that gives nails a unique optical effect that’s magnified as the lighting source intensifies or viewing angle changes.
- Out of This World is a deep purple base with shimmer flecks of violet purple and green gold. Three coats.
- It’s Not Rocket Science is an olive green base with darkened chartreuse and teal shimmer. It looks rather chartreuse-y at some angles, while in others, it almost looks emerald green as the teal comes into play. Two coats.
- Haley’s Comet is an aqua-blue color base with flecks of green, teal, and blue shimmer. It looks bluer at some angles, more mermaid-esque at other angles. I found that this one had the least powerful duochrome. This felt like the least pigmented, so it definitely needed a full three coats. This also bears a strong resemblance to Zoya’s Charla.
- Space Cadet is one of the coolest shades of the six. It has a very strong duochrome finish/effect. It looks like a mauvey plum but then it glints a chartreuse-y green with strong gold undertones. I can’t think of anything I have that’s quite like this. Two coats.
- Galaxy Girl is a beautiful deep wine-purple base with red undertones. It has flecks of teal and darkened fuchsia-purple shimmer. It’s dark and a little vampy, but I absolutely love the subtle but noticeable duochrome effect. Two coats.
- Lunar Eclipse is a glowing indigo blue that flashes violet, electric blue, and inky blue. It’s incredible–it’s my personal favorite. This was the most pigmented shade of the six, and it only needed two coats.
ORLY completely hit a homerun here for me. Not only was this the collection I was most anticipating personally, but it fulfilled all my expectations. It did not disappoint at any point. The formula was nicely pigmented and not too thick, easy to work with, and the shimmer and glass flecks distributed evenly. I didn’t have any issues with drying time when I used Zoya’s Color Lock System, including their quick drying drops–I was typing away just minutes after applying the Hurry Up drops. I also love the rubber caps of ORLY’s polish, because it makes handling them foolproof.
There’s only one downside and that’s the price–these are more expensive than your usual ORLYs (which retail at $7.50). Don’t get me wrong, considering I’ll happily fork over $23 for a Chanel shade, I think these are completely worth it. They’re interesting and complex shades that apply well, which is what makes a polish worth it for me.
But in the end, there’s really only one word to sum up this collection: BADASS.
If you want to know more about how products are evaluated, read out Rating System FAQ!
- Product: 30/30
- Value: 7/10
- Ease of Use: 4/5
- Packaging: 5/5
RECOMMENDATION: If you love pops of color on your nails, ORLY’s Cosmic collection is NOT to be missed!
AVAILABILITY: September 2010 at orlybeauty.com, ULTA, and Sally Beauty