Lip Tars: Trollop, Harlot, Stalker, Trick, Strutter
Sneak Peek: Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Fall Lip Tars
Just in time for fall, OCC will launch six new shades of Lip Tars ($12.50 for oz.) on August 27th. The shades include: Trick (blank slate), Trollop (cranberry-infused coral), Harlot (ultimate fiery, cool-toned red), Stalker (truest red), Strutter (mahogany-toned classic red), and Strumpet (deep plum-toned red).
- Trick is a browned peach nude. This is definitely a shade that’s better worn with a more dramatic eye than alone–by itself, it is a little light.
- Trollop is a bright watermelon pink coral. It practically glows, because it’s almost neon–very, very bright!
- Harlot is a bright, blood red. This seems like an orange-based red to me, even though it’s described as a cool-toned shade. For an orange-based red, it’s certainly one of the least warm shades I’ve tried, though–but it still pulls orange on me.
- Stalker is a dark, blood red. It’s darker and more blue-based than Harlot.
- Strutter is a deep browned red. I like that it’s not ultra dark, so it doesn’t lose its red edge.
It’s been quite awhile since I initially reviewed Lip Tars (actually, just over a year!), and it’s kind of exciting to see how much the line has grown. A year ago, there were only thirteen shades to review, and today, there are thirty-two shades available. One of areas of improvement I wanted to see was for a fuller range of colors–shades that were just as intensely pigmented but wearable right out of the tube, because not everybody wants to mix shades (or buy five or six shades so they can get their mixology on).
Lip Tars are incredibly pigmented and you need very little to get full-color coverage–I’m totally serious: squeeze lightly! They’re pretty easy to apply just using the slanted squeeze-tube that they come out of, but if you want true precision, a lip brush will work wonders. If you use just the barest amount, they will dry down to a satin finish, but if you add a little more, it gives a slightly glossier look. These will wear four to five hours without trouble, and even nude shades like Trick stained a little (so darker shades most definitely stain)–even after a few minutes! They smell like peppermint (from the peppermint oil), but they are fragrance-free. They don’t really taste like much to me personally.
If you want to know more about how products are evaluated, read out Rating System FAQ!
- Product: 29/30
- Value: 9/10
- Ease of Use: 4/5
- Packaging: 4/5
RECOMMENDATION: If you want opaque color that doesn’t feel heavy and wears well, Lip Tars are definitely that. Now, you can get your hands on some excellent colors that work straight outta the tube–no more mixing required!
AVAILABILITY: OCC Makeup