Gucci Westman used Revlon to create a luminous look at the Spring/Summer 2011 runway show. “Last season, the focus was on a strong red lip–so this season, I wanted to make it all about the eyes,” says Richard Chai. Westman says, “We wanted to find a beautiful way to compliment the stark look of the clothing … Richard’s collection is minimal and luxurious–all about pure, de-saturated, muted tones. A strong eye and nude lip are a great contrast to complete the look.”
Revlon Grow Luscious Mascara in Blackest Black
Revlon ColorStay Liquid Liner in Blackest Black
Revlon Luxurious Color Matte Kohl Eyeliner in Black
Revlon Luxurious Color Smoky Crayon in Black Smoke (Available 12/27)
Revlon Cream Blush in Rosy Glow
Revlon Colorburst Lipstick in Fashion’s Night Pout
The new bun at Christian Siriano Spring/Summer 2011 Show with Antoinette Beenders for Aveda
Aveda lead stylist Antoinette Beenders created a textured bun using Aveda Control Force™ Firm Hold Hair Spray at the Christian Siriano Spring/Summer 2011 Fashion Week show in New York.
INSPIRATION: “The Christian Siriano hair look for this season is all about different cultures mixing and blending together. The style is a modern bun—full of attitude—with sections of crimped hair cascading over it for texture. It’s a strong, contemporary twist on the classic bun.” — Antoinette Beenders for Aveda
1. Brush hair with a Mason Pearson brush. Pull the top section of hair — from the hairline to the crown — and clip it out of the way.
2. Comb the remaining hair back into a tight, high ponytail and secure with a bungee elastic. Spray with Aveda Control Force™ Firm Hold Hair Spray for hold.
3. Spray Aveda Brilliant™ Spray-On Shine directly onto the bristles of a kabuki-style Aveda Uruku Bronzing Brush. “Paint” the sides of hair with the Uruku Bronzing Brush for shine.
4. Take the ponytail and braid it. Then twist the braid into a bun, securing to the head with bobby pins. Spray with Aveda Control Force™ Firm Hold Hair Spray for ultra-strong hold.
5. Remove the clip from the remaining top section of hair and comb to the crown. Working with small portions of hair (approximately one inch) at a time, use a micro-crimping iron to add texture from the crown to ends.
6. Brush the hair with a Mason Pearson brush to loosen the crimp. Gently pull the hair over the bun and secure at the base with hair pins. Spray with Aveda Control Force™ Firm Hold Hair Spray.
7. Pull a few pieces of hair out of the bun with fingers for extra texture. Set the look with Aveda Control Force™ Firm Hold Hair Spray.
Today kicks off the one-week extravaganza that is New York Fashion Week! In the past, we’ve done extensive coverage of the beauty backstage at many of the shows. We have created a special section devoted to all things Fashion Week, which you can easily access simply by clicking on the image on the top, right-hand side of the sidebar (the image looks very similar to the one above!).
Beauty Brands Tweeting @ NYFW: I’ve compiled a list of beauty brands and makeup artists known to be tweeting behind-the-scenes during the event. If you love twitpics, one line breakdowns, it can be a fun way to follow the event. I’m regularly looking and adding more brands/artists as I find them–if I’m missing anyone/brand, let me know!
For this season, we are testing out a new format to deliver the latest news and breakdowns from the runways with our own Fashion Week page. This means that the main page will not share the content that is on the Fashion Week page–so if you aren’t into NYFW, you won’t be overwhelmed by it amongst our regularly scheduled, daily content. Instead, each day during Fashion Week, we’ll post a daily recap on the main page so those who are interested are kept in the loop, but you can also routinely check out our special Fashion Week section, which will be updated periodically throughout the day.
I’m not attending NYFW in person, but ironically, I find I do a much better job of covering the week-long event from home than I do when I’m there in person! Happy feet and happy sleep wishes to all those attending and working at Fashion Week.
Wilted waves and naturally luminous makeup at ORGANIC by John Patrick Spring/Summer 2011 Presentation with Jenn Chiminiello and Janell Geason for Aveda.
Aveda lead stylist Jenn Chiminiello created “wilted waves” using Aveda Pure Abundance™ Hair Potion and Aveda Air Control™ Hair Spray at the ORGANIC by John Patrick Spring/Summer 2011 Fashion Week presentation in New York.
INSPIRATION: “The undone, wavy look is sexy and unrestrained, inspired by a girl’s hair after she’s been in the water. It’s very soft and flowing with lots of texture to give it a natural messiness. It’s loose, second-day hair—like it was curled the day before and then left alone. Our collection this season is based around water. I love that the hair look evokes the salty, windblown feel of hair that’s dried after being in the ocean. The style definitely has some 1970’s, Charlie’s Angels inspiration but the finished look is completely fresh.” — John Patrick of ORGANIC by John Patrick
1. Prep damp hair with Aveda Smooth Infusion™ Style-Prep Smoother™ for sleek smoothness and to prevent frizz. Use a fine-tooth comb to create a strong part of the left side of the head.
2. Scrunch Aveda Phomollient™ Styling Foam into damp hair and massage into roots for volume and shine. Blow hair dry with a large ceramic round brush, curling ends under.
3. Pin top section of hair up with a large clip so sides are free for curling. Use a large-barrel curling iron on one-inch sections of hair at a time, working from the bottom up.
4. Remove pin from top section and curl as done on the sides.
5. Sprinkle Aveda Pure Abundance™ Hair Potion from roots to ends and rake hands through hair to create texture and loose roughness to waves.
6. Finish with a mist of Aveda Air Control™ Hair Spray for light hold and pull ends forward to rest on shoulders.