MAC Marine Life Dupes — Sorry, Keep Looking
When I think of dupes, I think of something that is pretty close to it — I’m talking 90% or closer — not just similar. There are plenty of similar shades to Marine Life; after all, it’s really just a vibrant coral-red with minimal shimmer in it. NARS Deep Throat and MAC Foolish Me come the closest, though the texture of Deep Throat is obviously different and Foolish Me is a little more orange. It’s not quite as red/orange and intense as Marine Life, but it’s the closest I found of the many shades I do own that were in the running.
- MAC Ripe Peach (Limited Edition) is lighter, more peach-coral than vibrant red-based coral. Verdict: not really a dupe, maybe a cousin.
- Benefit CORALista is a pinker, less distinctly coral version with a significant amount of shimmer in comparison. Verdict: not a dupe, but a good friend.
- MAC Instant Chic (Limited Edition) is much softer pink-coral with a bit of peachiness to it. It has a more powdery look and feel, but it’s so, so subtle. Marine Life is like Instant Chic if it took steroids for a year. Verdict: similar color but so, so much lighter–like a fruit picked too early.
- MAC Hipness is much pinker in comparison to Marine Life. It’s not quite as intense, and it doesn’t have the strength of the redness that Marine Life as. Hipness is a less shimmery, pinker version of CORALista, though. Verdict: not a dupe, too pink.
- Illamasqua Hussy is similar in its intensity, but it’s definitely pinker. It’s a more pigmented, matte version of Hipness/CORALista. Verdict: not a dupe, too pink.
- NARS Super Orgasm is a peachy-pink concoction that pulls a noticeable gold sheen. It has a lot more shimmer (and even Orgasm, which I don’t own, would still be pretty shimmery in comparison). Verdict: not a dupe, too peach, not pink/red enough.
- MAC Springsheen is very similar to Super Orgasm–it’s that same mix of peach and pink with a gold shimmer-sheen. Verdict: not a dupe, too peach and shimmery.
- NARS Deep Throat is a pinker version of Super Orgasm/Orgasm, and it’s probably the closest to Marine Life, but it’s still not quite as red or as intense–plus it has the sheen/shimmer that Marine Life definitely doesn’t have. Verdict: almost a dupe, like sisters.
- MAC Dainty is a sheer peach-coral with a smidgen of pink in it. It’s way too sheer and light to be a great dupe for Marine Life. Verdict: not a dupe, too light and peach.
- MAC Foolish Me is everything that Marine Life is, except a little more orange. The two are very similar, both in finish and color, but Foolish Me does run a little on the orange side. Plus, it’s discontinued, so that sucks. (I thought about this one originally, but it looks so orange in the pan… just swatched it at the last second, and yep, they are indeed surprisingly close.) Verdict: similar, like fraternal twins.
I don’t own Fleur Power or Style, but I did swatches here last year, and by referencing those, I can tell you Style is most definitely not a dupe — too orange/peach. Fleur Power comes a little closer, but it seems a bit pinker in comparison to Marine Life.
Live video tutorial for the bright look featured earlier today… And yay, it showed up in HD 🙂 Which is just a little scary, LOL.
Straight-forward bright tropical eye for today! 🙂 I was originally going to do a BBR look, but when I tried to do something purple using Violet pigment and Top Knot/Deep Shade, it looked a hot mess! I quickly wiped it all off and started over again. My mind went blank as to what kind of look to do, so I went for this oldie!
You will need the following…
- Eyes: True Chartreuse pigment (chartreuse base), Goin’ Bananas eyeshadow (shimmery yellow), Overgrown eyeshadow (chartreuse), Wondergrass eyeshadow (medium green), Freshwater eyeshadow (medium blue), Deep Truth eyeshadow (dark blue), Femme-fi eyeshadow (neutral highlighter), Urban Decay Honey 24/7 Liner (gold), Urban Decay Graffiti 24/7 Liner (grass green), Penultimate liner (black), Plushlash mascara (black)
- Cheeks: NARS Super Orgasm blush (soft peach)
- Lips: Blow Dry lipstick (sheer coral), Red Devil lipglass (red-coral)
- Brushes: 266 (firm, angled brush), 226 (fluffy crease brush), 214 (smudge brush), 249 (flat, firm brush), 239 (fluffy shadow brush), 129 (dense blush brush)
- Substitutes: Going Bananas = Bright Sunshine; Overgrown = Sour Lemon; Wondergrass = Bio Green; Femme-fi = Shroom; Blow Dry = Ravishing; Red Devil = Lychee Luxe
Directions: Define brows using a coordinating powder shadow applied with the 266 brush. Apply True Chartreuse pigment all over the lid as the base with the 249. On the inner lid, apply Going Bananas eyeshadow using the 239. Apply Overgrown eyeshadow to the middle of the lid. Darken the outer lid using Deep Truth on and drag into crease using the 239. Overlay Deep Truth with Freshwater eyeshadow using the 239. Darken crease with Deep Truth eyeshadow using the 226. Sweep Femme-fi underneath the brow bone to highlight. Finish with Urban Decay Honey Liner on lower lash line, Urban Decay Graffiti Liner on lower water line, Penultimate liner on upper lash line, and Plushlash mascara on lashes. Sweep apples of cheeks with NARS Super Orgasm blush using the 129. Apply Blow Dry lipstick to lips, and then top with Red Devil lipglass for color and shine.
Check out more photos!
If you were using NARS Super Orgasm Blush?, what look would you create with it? What shadows would you use? What would you use on cheeks? Anything added to the lips?
Create a look using whatever you want, as long as you include today’s look book product! Feel free to share links to photos of your look(s) using it in the comments.
I didn’t love this look as far as green looks go (not enough dimension), but at least I tried a different lip combo — you know, not something traditionally medium coral! My weekend is a bit of a bummer, so I hope yours is way better! I didn’t realize it until Wednesday in class, but I have an accounting midterm on Monday — so off to study group I go today for a few hours. Of course, more studying on Sunday and Monday 😉 My only reprieve seems to be dinner with my parents to celebrate my Mom’s birthday. Boo!!
What are your weekend plans? Let me live through you vicariously!
You will need the following…
- Eyes: Golden Olive pigment (olive green base), Juxt eyeshadow (pastel green), Sumptuous Olive eyeshadow (olive green), Humid eyeshadow (forest green), Femme Noir (matte dark green), Nylon eyeshadow (frosty white-yellow), Urban Decay Honey 24/7 Liner (white), Plushlash mascara (black)
- Cheeks: NARS Super Orgasm blush (soft peach-pink)
- Lips: Antiquitease lipstick (coppery reddish brown), Moonstone lipglass (sheer peach-pink)
- Brushes: 266 (firm, angled brush), 249 (flat, firm brush), 239 (fluffy shadow brush), 129 (dense blush brush)
- Substitutes: Antiquitease = O; Moonstone = Moonstone lipgelee
Directions: Define brows using a coordinating powder shadow applied with the 266 brush. Apply Golden Olive pigment all over the lid as the base with the 249. On the inner lid, apply Juxt eyeshadow using the 239. Apply Sumptuous Olive eyeshadow to the middle of the lid. Darken the outer lid using Humid and drag into crease using the 239. Darken crease with Femme Noir eyeshadow using the 239. Sweep Nylon underneath the brow bone to highlight. Finish with Urban Decay Honey 24/7 Liner on lower lash line, and Plushlash mascara on lashes. Sweep apples of cheeks with Super Orgasm blush using the 129. Apply Antiquitease lipstick to lips, and then top with Moonstone lipglass for color and shine.
Check out more photos!