Not so into lipstick? Or maybe you’re looking for a gloss for your Valentine’s Day lipstick? These are my five picks for this upcoming Valentine’s Day…
- Milani Flashy — darkened fuchsia pink
- MAC Driven by Love — rich red with ruby red shimmer
- Clarins Grenadine — coral-pink with gold shimmer
- Bobbi Brown Naked Plum — pink and gold shimmered plum
- NARS Bougainville — berry
What lipglosses remind you of Valentine’s Day?
5 Holiday Lipglosses
If you’re more a gloss fiend, here are five holiday picks from me! If you tend to combine your lipsticks and glosses, I’m also a big fan of going for extra sparkling glosses layered on top of berries/reds.
- Hourglass Siren — fiery metallic red
- MAC Explicit — shimmering bronze taupe
- MAC Lasting Achievement — deep berry
- NARS Bougainville — vibrant berry
- Illamasqua Succubus — opaque true red
What’s your favorite holiday lipgloss?
5 Beautiful Berry Lipglosses
These are my top picks for gorgeous berry lipglosses–as suggested by reader Brittany! If you want more bang out of your gloss, layer it over a lipstick or lip liner. If you prefer more of a stained look, use less gloss and press into lips with your fingertip.
What’s YOUR favorite berry-hued lipgloss?
NARS Bougainville Lip Gloss
NARS Holiday 2010: Bougainville
NARS Bougainville Lip Gloss ($24.00 for 0.28 oz.) is described as a “sensual pomegranate … with dramatic, diva-esque color.” The description also goes on to say “deep in pigment yet sheer on the lips,” which is an interesting statement. NARS’ Lip Gloss is non-sticky and scent- and taste-free, though they have been known to smell a bit like plastic or wax. I did not notice any scent whatsoever with my Bougainville, though.
It is similar to fall’s Strawberry Fields in the way it is pigmented, creamy, lacks shimmer, and is non-sticky. The colors, however, are noticeably different. While Strawberry Fields is a bright raspberry pink-red, Bougainville is a rich berry. It has the same color-rich look with a glossy shine but no shimmer, though. This is Strawberry Fields’ older, more sophisticated best friend.
If you want to know more about how products are evaluated, read out Rating System FAQ!
- Product: 29/30
- Value: 8/10
- Ease of Use: 4/5
- Packaging: 4/5
RECOMMENDATION: Because of the richness in color, it would look lovely on cooler, paler complexions for a strong contrast, but it would also flatter deeper skin tones. I think this is more wearable than Strawberry Fields, because it’s dark without being ultra vampy.
Ode to Hourglass Gypsy
I have raved about Hourglass’ Visionaire Eyeshadow Duos before–the texture is really top notch: buttery, soft, and easy to blend. I don’t think there’s a single thing I dislike about these duos. The price is hefty, but then they give you a ton of each color. I would love to see them put out more shades, though. Is that a con? Hm.
As you can tell from this look, I was test-driving quite a few products I’ve yet to review. Some quick notes…
- Hourglass Gpysy eyeshadow duo makes for a really easy, go-to everyday look
- Lancome Definicils Precious Cells mascara clumped up a lot, seemingly dry, so I’m going to have to check the tube and do some more testing
- NARS Sex Appeal blush barely shows up on me (NC25/NC30 skin tone, for reference), bummer!
- NARS Bougainville lipgloss is a sexy, vampy shade — in the vein of Strawberry Fields but noticeably darker
You will need the following…
- Eyes: NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base (neutral eyeshadow base), Hourglass Gypsy Eyeshadow Duo (champagne/chocolate brown), MAC Lord It Up Pearlglide Eyeliner (dark brown), Lancome Definicils Precious Cells Mascara (black)
- Face: Make Up For Ever HD Foundation (140), Laura Mercier Loose Setting Powder (translucent)
- Cheeks: NARS Sex Appeal Blush
- Lips: NARS Bougainville Lipgloss
- Brushes: 249 (flat, firm brush), 239 (fluffy shadow brush), 226 (fluffy crease brush), 219 (pointed crease brush), 116 (dense blush brush)
For eyes, start by applying Smudgeproof as your eyeshadow base all over the eye area with the 249. Using the 239, apply the champagne eyeshadow all over the lid, blending just above the crease. Next, apply the chocolate brown eyeshadow into the crease with the 226 and blend softly above and below the crease. Lightly highlight the brow bone with the champagne eyeshadow with the 217. Bring everything together by applying Lord It Up pearlglide eyeliner on the lower lash line. Finish by sweeping lashes with Hypnose Precious Cells mascara.
For cheeks, apply Sex Appeal blush on the apples of the cheeks and sweep upwards towards the temple with the 116.
For lips, apply Bougainville lipgloss for a complementing lip.