Star Powder #920
Make Up For Ever Star Powders ($19.00 for 0.09 oz.) are finely milled loose color. Think MAC pigments, but more of a powdery texture and more finely milled. They can be used wherever you want, however you want. I only used mine with mixing medium, personally, as I found without the adhesiveness of mixing medium, they didn’t stay put as well.
Pure Pigments ($19.00 for 0.12 oz.) are extremely pigment-rich loose color that are matte in finish. They’re like Star Powders, but they’re more intense and contain no shimmer. Pretty much all of the Pure Pigments will stain the skin (and your brushes — so be sure to wash those ASAP! after using).
- #920 is a shimmery muted golden yellow with frosty shimmer. This is a good base shade under golds, browns, pinks, and oranges.
- #910 is a grayish-green with golden shimmer. It looks like an olive green at first, but it’s a bit more gray.
- #958 is a pretty medium green–reminds me of a grassy green, actually. It has slightly more subtle shimmer than some of the other Star Powders, though it is still noticeably shimmery.
- #960 is a mix of blue with aqua and green shimmer. It reminded me a lot of MAC’s Parrot eyeshadow, but in a loose form. It also seemed a little bluer.
- #929 is a warm, chocolate brown with golden shimmer. It goes on smoothly and has good color pigmentation.
- #18 is a matte turquoise. If you ever lusted after MAC’s long-discontinued Turquoise pigment, check this out. It’s extremely similar, but it’s much better in finish/texture. If you’re into intense color, you’ll love Pure Pigments. I don’t like how much they stain skin/brushes, and I don’t have a need for shades quite this bright, so I don’t think I’ll pick up any additional shades going forward.
Which of these are your favorites?
Check out more photos! Continue reading →
What better way to kick of a month of Make Up For Ever than by sharing with you my first look using their products? I did my best to use as many Make Up For Ever products, so that you can see exactly how they perform! All eyeshadows used will be reviewed at some point during the month (hint, I’ll be doing five per post in rainbow order, so you’ll see some tomorrow!).
You will need the following…
- Eyes: Make Up For Ever #920 Star Powder (yellow gold base), Make Up For Ever #10 Eyeshadow (shimmery yellow gold), Make Up For Ever #153 Eyeshadow (shimmery peachy-gold), Make Up For Ever #5 Eyeshadow (matte coral-orange), Make Up For Ever #75 Eyeshadow (matte bright fuchsia), Make Up For Ever #160 Eyeshadow (matte eggplant purple), Make Up For Ever #101 Eyeshadow (sheer, yellow-gold shimmer), Make Up For Ever Aqua Black Waterproof Cream Eyeshadow (black), Make Up For Ever Aqua Smoky Lash Mascara (black)
- Cheeks: Make Up For Ever #5 Blush (matte coral-orange), Make Up For Ever #153 Blush (shimmery peachy-gold)
- Lips: Illamasqua Obey Lipstick (pinky-coral), MAC Dejarose lipglass (dark pink)
- Brushes: 266 (firm, angled brush), 226 (fluffy crease brush), 219 (pointed crease brush), 214 (smudge brush), 249 (flat, firm brush), 239 (fluffy shadow brush), 116 (dense blush brush), 165 (highlighting brush)
Directions: Define brows using a coordinating powder shadow applied with the 266 brush. Apply #920 Star Powder all over the lid as the base with the 249. On the inner lid, pack #10 eyeshadow on using the 239. Apply #153 eyeshadow to the middle portion of the lid. Alongside #153, apply #5 eyeshadow to the side towards the outer portion of the lid. On the outer lid and crease, apply #75 eyeshadow with the 226. Increase intensity by packing on more of #75 eyeshadow with the 239. Darken crease with #160 eyeshadow using the 219, and then blend out with the 226. Sweep #101 eyeshadow underneath the brow bone to highlight with the 217. Smudge lower lash line with #10 eyeshadow with the 214 brush, pressing into lower lashes. Finish with Aqua Black Waterproof Cream Eyeshadow on on the upper lash line using the 208. Apply Aqua Smoky Lash mascara on lashes. Sweep apples of cheeks with #5 Blush using the 129, then highlight with #153 with the 165. Apply Illamasqua Obey lipstick to lips, and then top with MAC Dejarose lipglass for color and shine.
Check out more photos! Continue reading →