Blue Eyeliners: YSL #9, bareMinerals 4AM, Korres #13, MAC Smoothblue,
CoverGirl Blue Boom, TT Glamorous Thief, UD Radium, UD Deviant, NARS Kitty,
MAC Hi Def Cyan, MAC Artistic License, MUFE #7L, TT Kanzashi, UD Electric,
NARS Abbey Road
Blue Eyeliners: Your Guide
This is just part of blues — I have a whole separate post planned to cover navy blues! (And teals, too.)
- YSL #9 is a teal-tinged blue with silver sparkle.
- bareMinerals 4AM is a medium sky blue. It has more of a sheen than MAC Hi Def Cyan. (LE)
- Korres #13 is a periwinkle blue with a matte finish. (DC)
- MAC Smoothblue is a darkened blue with just a hint of teal.
- CoverGirl Blue Boom is a medium-dark blue with a soft, frosted finish. This is similar to TT Glamorous Thief and UD Deviant.
- Tarina Tarantino Glamorous Thief is a medium-dark blue with a frosted finish. This is similar to CoverGirl Blue Boom and UD Deviant.
- Urban Decay Radium is a medium blue with a frosted sheen. It is a bit lighter than CoverGirl Blue Booom, TT Glamorous Thief, and UD Deviant.
- Urban Decay Deviant is a medium-dark blue with a frosted sheen. This is similar to TT Glamorous Thief and CoverGirl Blue Boom; a touch darker than both. (LE)
- NARS Kitty is a darkened sky blue with a matte finish. Darker than MAC Hi Def Cyan and bareMinerals 4AM.
- MAC Hi Def Cyan is a sky blue with a matte finish. It is more matte than bareMinerals 4AM, lighter than NARS Kitty.
- MAC Artistic License is a brightened blue with a hint of teal. It is comparable to MUFE #7, TT Kanzashi, and UD Electric. (LE)
- Make Up For Ever #7L is a brightened blue with a hint of teal with silver sparkle. It is comparable to MAC Artistic License, TT Kanzashi, and UD Electric.
- Tarina Tarantino Kanzashi is a brightened blue with a hint of teal with silver sparkle. It is comparable to MAC Artistic License, MUFE #7, and UD Electric.
- Urban Decay Electric is a brightened blue with a hint of teal. It is comparable to MAC Artistic License, MUFE #7, and TT Kanzashi.
- NARS Abbey Road is a darkened teal-blue over a slightly black base.
TEMPTALIA PICKS: #2 (quality), #6 (quality), #8 (quality, pigmentation), #10 (quality, longevity), #13 (quality, pigmentation)
Behind-the-Series: It was my intention to provide heavy, opaque swatches to provide an accurate color comparison. Some eyeliners required one pass, some required five, and a few even more. When possible, the shade name (above) is linked to the original review so you can read more about the quality, wear, etc. of a particular eyeliner. If we’ve never done a review, there will be no link. Shades that were limited edition will be marked with “(LE)” and shades that were discontinued will be marked with “(DC)” after the color description. You can also find all comparisons on The Dupe List.
What’s your favorite blue eyeliner? How do you like to use it?
Bright Makeup: Let’s Go to the Tropics with Yellow, Green, & Blue
I was getting a little tired of pink and purple, so I had to go with something totally different but still fun! Happy Friday all!
You will need the following…
- Eyes: MAC Soft Ochre Paint Pot (neutral beige base), MAC Stacked 2! Pigment (light gold-green), MAC Going Bananas Eyeshadow (sunny yellow), MAC Bio Green Eyeshadow (grassy green), MAC Shimmermoss Eyeshadow (teal), MAC Freshwater Eyeshadow (blue), MAC Electric Eel Eyeshadow (bright blue), MAC Nylon Eyeshadow (white-gold highlighter), Make Up For Ever 7L Aqua Eyes Liner (electric blue), MAC Plushlash Mascara (black)
- Face: Korres Tinted Moisturizer (#2)
- Cheeks: Benefit Sugarbomb (peachy pink)
- Lips: MAC Victorian Lipstick (pinky coral), MAC Gold Dust Lipglass (sheer orange gold)
- Brushes: 226 (fluffy crease brush), 219 (pointed crease brush), 249 (flat, firm brush), 239 (fluffy shadow brush), 116 (dense blush brush)
- Substitutes: Going Bananas = Bright Sunshine; Victorian = See Sheer; Gold Dust = Instant Gold
For eyes, start by applying Soft Ochre paint pot as your eyeshadow base all over the eye area with the 249. With the 239 and water-based mixing medium (or water), apply Stacked 2! pigment (light gold-green) all over the lid area. Using the 239, apply Going Bananas eyeshadow on the inner third of the eyelid. Next, apply Bio Green eyeshadow on the middle third of the eyelid and lightly blend with the inner corner. Lightly layer Shimmermoss eyeshadow on the middle-to-outer portion of the eyelid. Darken the outer third of the lid with Freshwater eyeshadow with the 239, gently brushing it into the lower crease. Lightly blend Electric Eel eyeshadow, with the 226, on the outer corner and lid. Lightly tap and brush Going Bananas eyeshadow directly above the crease to soften. To finish the eyeshadow look, sweep Nylon eyeshadow as a highlighter on the brow bone. Bring everything together by applying 7L eyeliner on the lower lash line and Going Bananas eyeshadow lightly patted below the lower lash line with the 219 brush. Finish by sweeping lashes with Plushlash mascara.
For cheeks, apply Sugarbomb blush to the apples of the cheeks and sweep upwards towards the temple with the 116.
For lips, apply Victorian lipstick first, and then layer Gold Dust lipglass for a complementing lip.
So much for having mastered false lashes! Trying to use them in this look turned out to be more disaster than gorg. Good thing this was just for fun and not going out, because then I would have been upset rather than just a little disappointed it didn’t all wrap up into a nice little bow. This is a very OTT look, and it was deliberately made that way. I’d probably wear it out, but I totally understand if anyone feels it’s a bit too bright/much for the grocery store ;) Besides, it looked good from afar, and nobody should be standing THISCLOSE to my eyes anyway, right?!
For those wondering, you can purchase Make Up For Ever at Sephora.com.
You will need the following…
- Eyes: Make Up For Ever #910 Star Powder (springy green base), Make Up For Ever #171 Eyeshadow (shimmery yellow-green), Make Up For Ever #93 Eyeshadow (matte aqua-green), Make Up For Ever #159 Eyeshadow (matte royal blue), Make Up For Ever #167 Eyeshadow (shimmery medium blue), Make Up For Ever #102 (matte eggshell), Make Up For Ever Aqua Black Waterproof Cream Eyeshadow (black), Make Up For Ever Aqua Smoky Lash Mascara (black), , Make Up For Ever #7L Aqua Eyes Liner, Make Up For Ever #156 Genevieve False Lashes
- Cheeks: Make Up For Ever #5 Blush (matte coral-orange), Make Up For Ever #153 Blush (shimmery peachy-gold)
- Lips: Urban Decay Naked lipstick (shimmery pink-beige), Chanel Arlequin Glossimer (shimmering gold)
- Brushes: 266 (firm, angled brush), 226 (fluffy crease brush), 219 (pointed crease brush), 214 (smudge brush), 249 (flat, firm brush), 239 (fluffy shadow brush), 116 (dense blush brush), 165 (highlighting brush)
Directions: Define brows using a coordinating powder shadow applied with the 266 brush. Apply #910 Star Powder all over the lid as the base with the 249. On the inner lid, pack #171 eyeshadow on using the 239. Apply #93 eyeshadow to the middle portion of the lid. On the outer lid and crease, apply #167 eyeshadow with the 226. Darken crease with #159 eyeshadow using the 219, and then blend out with the 226. With #171 eyeshadow, apply it just above the crease colors with the 217. Sweep #102 eyeshadow underneath the brow bone to highlight with the 217. Apply #7L Aqua Eyes Liner on lower lash line. Smudge lower lash line with #171 eyeshadow with the 214 brush, pressing into lower lashes. Apply #156 Genevieve false lashes on upper lash line. Finish with Aqua Black Waterproof Cream Eyeshadow on on the upper lash line using the 208. Apply Aqua Smoky Lash mascara on lashes. Sweep apples of cheeks with #5 Blush using the 129, then highlight with #153 with the 165. Apply Urban Decay Naked lipstick to lips, and then top with Chanel Arlequin glossimer for color and shine.
Check out more photos! Continue reading →