I was watching Lady Gaga’s Bad Romance Music Video yesterday, and I felt a little inspired by the bold makeup she’s wearing around the four minute mark. At first, I thought she was wearing this look while dancing a bit, but I think the looks are different–the one she wears while dancing (also around the four minute mark) seems cleaner, not quite as dark, though the lips seem really similar.
Anyway, this is inspired by and not so much as an exact replica. If you wanted to be more on target, I’d say to go for a slightly messier smoky eye, add a little bit of gloss to make it look wet and have a sheen, and then go for a very dramatic cheek contour. The shape of the black portion on the eye also goes up quite close to the inner brow bone and then comes down. The lashes should also be bigger and flair out more on the outer lash line.
Also, this look is actually REALLY easy. No, seriously! It’s pretty much any cream black base all over the lid. I used the same technique I did back in 2007 to create this black smoky eye tutorial. The lashes took me infinitely longer and still didn’t adhere correctly–but it was good enough to fake it in photos (and my eyes were burning from upper lash line irritation, so it was a hurry-up-and-finish situation).
You will need the following…
- Eyes: Blacktrack fluidline (black), Carbon eyeshadow (matte black), Vex eyeshadow (duochrome white-purple), Bisque eyeshadow (matte highlighter), Feline kohl power (black), false eyelashes (anything big and dramatic), Zoom Fast Black Mascara (black)
- Cheeks: Sculpt sculpting powder (dark shadow), Dior Amber Diamond Skin Shimmer (bronzy highlighter)
- Face: Make Up For Ever HD Foundation (#140)
- Lips: Red No. 5 lipstick (deep red), Violetta lipstick (bright purple), Vino lip pencil (dark red)
- Brushes: 266 (firm, angled brush), 226 (fluffy crease brush), 219 (pointed crease brush), 214 (smudge brush), 249 (flat, firm brush), 239 (fluffy shadow brush), 129 (dense blush brush)
- Substitutes: Red No. 5 = New York Apple
Directions: Apply Blacktrack fluidline all over the lid as the base with the 249. With the 239, pack Carbon eyeshadow on all over the lid. Using the 226 brush, lightly blend the crease with Vex eyeshadow. Sweep Bisque eyeshadow underneath the brow bone to highlight. Finish with Feline Kohl Power on lower lash line, and apply false lashes to upper lash line, then lightly apply Zoom Fast Black mascara on lashes. Sweep hollows of cheeks with Sculpt sculpting powder using the 168, then highlight with Dior Amber Diamond Skin Shimmer with the 165. Apply Red No. 5 lipstick to lips, and then top with Violetta for color and shine.
Check out more photos! Continue reading →