MAC Wonder Woman Look: Defiance
Just because it can be made to work… doesn’t mean it is worth buying. I really had to pack on the color to get it to show, and there was some issues with blending, because the shades were so stiff. I maintain my recommendation of “no buy” to the fullest!
You will need the following…
- Eyes: NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base (neutral eyeshadow base), MAC Defiance Eyeshadow (pale frosted pink), MAC Paradise Island Eyeshadow (petal pink), MAC Star Studded Eyeshadow (plummed pink), MAC Real Drama Eyeshadow (burgundy brown), Burberry Trench Eyeshadow, Urban Decay Perversion 24/7 Liner (black), MAC Victorious Opulash Mascara (purple)
- Face: NARS Sheer Glow Foundation (Punjab), Burberry Pressed Powder (03)
- Cheeks: MAC Mighty Aphrodite Blush (peach-pink)
- Lips: MAC Spitfire Lipstick (dark pink), MAC Wonder Woman Lipglass (red)
- Brushes: 249 (flat, firm brush), 239 (fluffy shadow brush), 222 (fluffy crease brush), 263 (angled eyeliner brush), 116 (dense blush brush)
- Substitutes: Defiance = Vanilla pigment; Paradise Island – Pen ‘n’ Pink; Star Studded = Fig. 1; Real Drama = Sketch; Mighty Aphrodite = Deep Throat; Spitfire = Up the Amp + Girl About Town; Wonder Woman = Russian Red
For eyes, start by applying Smudgeproof as your eyeshadow base all over the eye area with the 249. Using the 239, apply Paradise Island eyeshadow on the inner half of the lower lid. Lightly blend Star Studded eyeshadow onto the outer third of the lid and crease with the 222. Apply Defiance eyeshadow on the inner tear duct and crease with the 239. Blend Trench eyeshadow with the crease shade and highlight the brow bone. Bring everything together by applying Perversion on the lower lash line. Finish by sweeping lashes with Victorious Opulash mascara.
For cheeks, apply Mighty Aphrodite blush on the apples of the cheeks and sweep upwards towards the temple with the 116.
For lips, apply Spitfire lipstick first, then layer Wonder Woman lipglass for a complementing lip.
MAC Army of Amazons Opulash Mascara
MAC Wonder Woman: Opulash Mascara
MAC OPULASH MASCARA ($15.00 for 0.38 oz.) is a thickening mascara that also lengths and helps with holding a curl, and it is a “long-wearing formula” designed to work for up to fifteen hours. Wonder Woman sees the release of these shades; Army of Amazons (green), Bad Bad Black (black), Themyscira (blue), and Victorious (purple). The Bad Bad Black shade is available permanently but in permanent packaging.
- Army of Amazons is a muted emerald green.
- Bad Bad Black is a deep black.
- Themyscira is a violet-tinged blue.
- Victorious is a medium purple.
my thoughts on the formula: I liked the soft, feathery look Opulash gave my lashes along with some very nice length! I’m actually surprised I didn’t see length pushed in the marketing write-up for Opulash, because I look at the before/after photos, and I see longer, slightly blacker lashes, but not necessarily a ton of volume. I found two or three quick coats was all you needed to get the feathery lash effect going. More than that resulted in a bit of clumping, but if you don’t load up your lashes with the product, it’s a nice, full and feathery lash that’s clump-free. You can see my full review of Opulash here.
I have only trialed Army of Amazons on my lashes (well, and the black shade, many months ago, when Opulash first released), but I was impressed with the amount of noticeable color it delivered. I did not use any primer, but my lashes definitely have that green tint. Colored mascaras usually look rather dull and muted (if they show at all) on my lashes, wihch are naturally a soft black. As I work through the other shades, if I find that any of the others perform less, I will revise this review at that time.
If you want to know more about how products are evaluated, read out Rating System FAQ!
- Product: 27/30
- Value: 8/10
- Ease of Use: 4/5
- Packaging: 4/5
final thoughts: I like the Opulash mascara formula, and it’s a good mascara for those who have decent lashes to begin with. It lengthens more than it volumizes or thickens for me, though. So far, it seems like the color actually shows up surprisingly well even over black lashes.
where to buy: MAC Cosmetics