MAC Wonder Woman Look: Defiance
Just because it can be made to work… doesn’t mean it is worth buying. I really had to pack on the color to get it to show, and there was some issues with blending, because the shades were so stiff. I maintain my recommendation of “no buy” to the fullest!
You will need the following…
- Eyes: NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base (neutral eyeshadow base), MAC Defiance Eyeshadow (pale frosted pink), MAC Paradise Island Eyeshadow (petal pink), MAC Star Studded Eyeshadow (plummed pink), MAC Real Drama Eyeshadow (burgundy brown), Burberry Trench Eyeshadow, Urban Decay Perversion 24/7 Liner (black), MAC Victorious Opulash Mascara (purple)
- Face: NARS Sheer Glow Foundation (Punjab), Burberry Pressed Powder (03)
- Cheeks: MAC Mighty Aphrodite Blush (peach-pink)
- Lips: MAC Spitfire Lipstick (dark pink), MAC Wonder Woman Lipglass (red)
- Brushes: 249 (flat, firm brush), 239 (fluffy shadow brush), 222 (fluffy crease brush), 263 (angled eyeliner brush), 116 (dense blush brush)
- Substitutes: Defiance = Vanilla pigment; Paradise Island – Pen ‘n’ Pink; Star Studded = Fig. 1; Real Drama = Sketch; Mighty Aphrodite = Deep Throat; Spitfire = Up the Amp + Girl About Town; Wonder Woman = Russian Red
For eyes, start by applying Smudgeproof as your eyeshadow base all over the eye area with the 249. Using the 239, apply Paradise Island eyeshadow on the inner half of the lower lid. Lightly blend Star Studded eyeshadow onto the outer third of the lid and crease with the 222. Apply Defiance eyeshadow on the inner tear duct and crease with the 239. Blend Trench eyeshadow with the crease shade and highlight the brow bone. Bring everything together by applying Perversion on the lower lash line. Finish by sweeping lashes with Victorious Opulash mascara.
For cheeks, apply Mighty Aphrodite blush on the apples of the cheeks and sweep upwards towards the temple with the 116.
For lips, apply Spitfire lipstick first, then layer Wonder Woman lipglass for a complementing lip.
Wonder Woman Comparison “Session”
MAC Wonder Woman: Lipstick & Lipglass Comparisons & Dupes
Here are comparisons for the lipglasses and lipsticks! If I did not compare something, the most likely reason is because I do not own it.
- ATHENA’S KISS is most comparable to Magnetique, which is just a bit darker. Funtabulous is sheerer and less intense, while True Babe is brighter, lighter, and bluer-based. Fierce & Fabulous is too pink, while Hot House is significantly darker and Electric Fuchsia is purpler.
- EMANCIPATION is a little lighter than Bare Necessities, while Devilishly Stylish is a touch less pink but otherwise very similar. Feeling Dreamy is a paler variation, and Young Spark is darker.
- SECRET IDENTITY is rustier than Crescent, and it is much lighter than Liqueur. Oh Baby is too bronzy, while Kumquat is similar in feel but obviously lighter.
- WONDER WOMAN is more of a true red than Wicked Ways, which is bluer-based. Cult of cherry is a deeper red with finer shimmer. Russian Red is similar in color, but more opaque and has no shimmer. I think Venetian should be closer, but I do not own it.
- HEROINE is unlike anything I own, though I think it may compare to Strength (which I do not own). Bronze Shimmer is too coppery, Honeymoon is so light and pale in comparison, and Gel is really nothing alike.
- MARQUISE D’ is closest to Hug Me, which is a little darker, and Sandy B, which is a little pinker. Angel is far too pink, while Innocence Beware and Hue are paler and pinker.
- SPITFIRE is darker and less magenta than Petals & Peacocks, Gladiola, and Madly Magenta. Pomposity has a brighter frost with more fuchsia. Style Curve is sheerer and purpler.
MAC Wonder Woman Lipsticks
MAC Wonder Woman: Lipsticks
MAC WONDER WOMAN LIPSTICK ($15.50 for 0.10 oz.) include four shades: Heroine (brown bronze), Marquise d’ (sandy cream peach), Russian Red (intense blue red), and Spitfire (bright creamy magenta).
- Heroine is a rich, molten bronzed brown with a metallic sheen. It is nearly opaque in color, though not quite. This is a frost finish. It seems like a less red version of Strength.
- Marquise d’ is a semi-sheer pinky-nude with soft champagne sheen. This is a lustre finish, and it is a repromote. It’s a little like Shy Girl, though lighter and sheerer.
- Russian Red is a rich, creamy blue-based red. This is a matte finish and part of the permanent range. This is not one of MAC’s drying mattes, though!
- Spitfire is a dark pink with magenta. This is a satin finish. It is pinker than Style Curve, pinker and less bright than Petals & Peacocks, similar to Smashbox Flirty. Anyone else think it’s a little muted for something named Spitfire?
my thoughts on the formula: MAC Lipsticks are vanilla-scented but taste-free. I typically get four hours of wear, but some of the lighter lustre and glaze finishes tend to disappear by hour three. Amplified cremes and amplified finishes, however, tend to go beyond four. I find the formula comfortable to wear and not drying (but not moisturizing–a couple of the matte shades can be drying).
If you want to know more about how products are evaluated, read out Rating System FAQ!
- Product: 27/30
- Value: 8/10
- Ease of Use: 4/5
- Packaging: 4/5
final thoughts: Heroine will suit warmer complexions slightly better than cooler ones, while the other three are wearable by both cool and warm skin tones. Russian Red looks stunning on light to dark and cool to warm. Keep in mind, Russian Red is permanent, so you can save $1 by buying it in regular packaging. Spitfire is rather dupeable as MAC has put out several pinky-purple shades in the past six months.
where to buy: MAC Cosmetics