The Scarlet Season: MAC So Scarlet Lipstick
MAC So Scarlet Lipstick ($14.00 for 0.10 oz.) was a limited edition shade of a mostly opaque deep ruby red released with the Cult of Cherry Collection. I love the creamy texture of this shade, because it really helps make application a breeze. It can be applied as more of a semi-opaque color with just one layer, but two layers yields you a bold ruby red with a glossy finish–it’s almost so pretty it doesn’t need gloss (though it does need lip liner to prevent it from bleeding). I love it with Jampacked Lipglass for a deeper red.
The Scarlet Season is a series of posts showcasing and featuring my favorite shades of red lips–from glosses to lipsticks that runs through December 2009. You can sure expect to see a lot of red this holiday season!
See more swatches and comparison photos… Continue reading →
On Wednesday, I thought I might play around with some bold lip colors, so I popped on a neutral look, and then I had some fun. I tried Bing! mattene from Cult of Cherry, as well as So Scarlet (but I already had an idea of how that’d turn out in a look). I also tried on Clinique’s Red-y to Wear. Now, the verdict? Neither Bing nor Red-y to Wear are for me. I just can’t see where I’d wear Bing out to, without lightening it some. Red-y to Wear is too much of an orangey red on me – reminds me of clown red, almost.
You will need the following…
- Eyes: Soft Ochre paint pot (creamy neutral base), Next To Nothing eyeshadow (cool neutral), Tempting eyeshadow (bronze brown), Dark Edge eyeshadow (cool dark brown), Ricepaper eyeshadow (soft neutral highlighter), Orpheus kohl power (black gold), Plushlash mascara (black)
- Cheeks: Dainty mineralize blush (soft peachy pink)
- Lips: So Scarlet lipstick (deep red), Jampacked lipglass (dark berry)
- Brushes: 266 (firm, angled brush), 249 (flat, firm brush), 239 (fluffy shadow brush), 129 (dense blush brush)
- Substitutes: Next to Nothing = Shroom; Dark Edge = Smut; Orpheus = Buried Treasure; Dainty = Peachykeen; So Scarlet = New York Apple; Jampacked = Desire
Directions: Define brows using a coordinating powder shadow applied with the 266 brush. Apply Soft Ochre paint pot all over the lid as the base with the 249. Apply Next to Nothing eyeshadow all over the lid using the 239. Apply Apply Tempting eyeshadow on outer lid and into crease with the 239. Darken the outer crease using Dark Edge eyeshadow using the 239. Sweep Ricepaper underneath the brow bone to highlight. Finish with Orpheus kohl power on lower lash line, and Plushlash mascara on lashes. Sweep apples of cheeks with Dainty using the 129. Apply So Scarlet lipstick to lips, and then top with Jampacked lipglass for color and shine.
Continue reading →