Navy Blue Eyeliners: BB Black Navy, MUFE #8K, bareMinerals Noon,
D&G 8, EL Blackened Sapphire, MAC Marine Ultra, MAC Prussian, MAC Blooz
Navy Blue Eyeliners: Your Guide
I think navy blue might be the color I have the most shades for!
- Bobbi Brown Black Navy is a deep, dark navy that almost looks purple.
- Make Up For Ever #8K is a deep navy blue. It is a touch darker than Dolce & Gabbana #8.
- bareMinerals Noon is a blackened navy blue. (LE)
- Dolce & Gabbana #8 is a deep navy blue with a sheen. It is a bit lighter than MUFE #8K.
- Estee Lauder Blackened Sapphire is a rich, blackened navy blue with a matte finish. (LE)
- MAC Marine Ultra is a lighter, but a darker blue with more brightness than other shades here.
- MAC Prussian is a navy blue with a purple tinge and a soft sheen.
- MAC Blooz is a blackened navy blue with a hint of purple. It is very similar to Givenchy #14.
- Givenchy #14 is a blackened navy blue with a hint of purple. It is very similar to MAC Blooz.
- NARS Rue Saint-Honore is a dark navy blue with a soft sheen. It is a touch more intense compared to Dolce & Gabbana #8 and MUFE #8K.
- YSL Oriental Blue #3 is a rich, navy blue with a matte finish. It is a touch lighter than La Prairie Midnight Blue.
- Korres #9 is a teal-ish blue (looked navy blue in the pencil!). (DC)
- La Prairie Midnight Blue is a rich, navy blue with a matte finish. It is a bit darker than YSL Oriental Blue.
- Chanel Marine is a shimmering navy blue.
- Make Up For Ever #3L is a blackened navy blue with soft sparkle.
- MAC Fly-By-Blu is a lightened blue over a blackened navy base. (LE)
- MAC Petrol Blue is a dark navy blue with sparkle over a blackened blue base. This shade is similar to MUFE #8K and D&G #8.
- MAC Blue Stripe is a blackened navy blue with a subtle sheen. It is darker and less sparkly compared to MAC Petrol Blue, and a touch darker than MUFE #3L.
- Urban Decay Binge is a lightened navy blue with a hint of purple; it is a bit lighter than the other navy blues here.
- Tarina Tarantino Cute Robot is a rich navy blue over a blackened navy base. It is comparable to NARS Rue Saint-Honore and MAC Petrol Blue.
- MAC Sense of Style is a darkened, teal-blue with a black base. (LE)
- MAC Navy Stain is a navy blue with subtle sheen.
- MAC Hyacinth is a medium-dark blue with a matte finish. (LE)
- MAC Industrial is a lightened, medium blue with a brownish-black base. It is similar to MAC Fly-By-Blu, but it has a lighter base.
- Urban Decay LSD is medium blue sparkle over a blackened navy base. It is a bit like MAC Fly-By-Blu. (LE)
- Make Up For Ever #15L is a darkened cornflower blue with a barely-there sheen.
TEMPTALIA PICKS: #5 (pigmentation, texture), #17 (intensity), #20 (pigmentation, longevity), #26 (uniqueness, longevity)
Behind-the-Series: It was my intention to provide heavy, opaque swatches to provide an accurate color comparison. Some eyeliners required one pass, some required five, and a few even more. When possible, the shade name (above) is linked to the original review so you can read more about the quality, wear, etc. of a particular eyeliner. If we’ve never done a review, there will be no link. Shades that were limited edition will be marked with “(LE)” and shades that were discontinued will be marked with “(DC)” after the color description. You can also find all comparisons on The Dupe List.
What’s your favorite navy blue Eyeliner? How do you like to use it?
MAC Love Lace Look
Here’s a quick and dirty look using products from MAC’s Love Lace Collection! I managed to squeeze in all four of the eyeshadows that came out. Just an FYI, Blanc Type looks very, very subtle in real life — it’s not a very camera-friendly color (tends to look a lil’ on the chalky side) — ’cause whenever I use it, I can barely tell I have it on… until I take photos, of course, lol!
I ditched the lip products, because they’re really not up my alley (with all that sheerness, y’know!), and I went with two upcoming shades from Chanel’s Spring collection instead. And the lips are the BEST PART ABOUT THIS LOOK. Seriously. Amazing!
I also opted for warmer cheeks and lips to warm up the cool-toned eyes, since I’m naturally warm, so it helped balance the look for me. You could just as easily swap in cool-pink cheeks and an icy, pinky lip, too.
You will need the following…
- Eyes: MAC Soft Ochre paint pot (neutral beige base), (dark blue), MAC Love Lace eyeshadowMAC Suave Intentions eyeshadow (medium blue), MAC Pincurl eyeshadow (icy pinky-silver), MAC Hypnotizing eyeshadow (smoked mauve), MAC Blanc Type eyeshadow (matte off-white), MAC Sense of Style kohl power (blackened blue-teal), Dior DiorShow Extase (black)
- Cheeks: MAC Springsheen blush (peachy)
- Lips: Chanel Delicieuse Rouge Allure Lipstick (soft coral), Chanel Futile Glossimer (sheer sparkling pink)
- Brushes: 266 (firm, angled brush), 226 (fluffy crease brush), 219 (pointed crease brush), 214 (smudge brush), 249 (flat, firm brush), 239 (fluffy shadow brush), 129 (dense blush brush)
- Substitutes: Love Lace = Deep Truth; Suave Intentions = Tilt; Pincurl = Vanilla; Hypnotizing = Shale; Sense of Style = Teal-o
Directions: Start by applying Soft Ochre paint pot as your eyeshadow base all over the lid with the 249. Using the 239, apply Suave Intentions eyeshadow on the inner two-thirds of the eyelid. Darken the outer third of the lid with Love Lace eyeshadow with the 239, gently brushing it into the lower crease. Next, define the crease by applying Hypnotizing eyeshadow with the 226. Lightly tap and brush Pincurl eyeshadow directly above the crease to soften. To finish the eyeshadow look, sweep Blanc Type eyeshadow as a highlighter on the brow bone. Bring everything together by applying Sense of Style kohl power on the lower waterline, and then sweeping lashes with Dior DiorShow Extase mascara.
For cheeks, apply Springsheen blush to the apples of the cheeks and sweep upwards towards the temple with the 129.
For lips, apply Chanel Delicieuse Lipstick first, and then layer Chanel Futile Glossimer for a soft lip.
MAC Love Lace Collection: Eyes
Today, MAC released Love Lace–a week early (it was originally slated for release on the 26th–but my freestanding store confirmed that Warm & Cozy was still launching the 26th). It’s a short ‘n sweet launch, with just two lipsticks, two lipglasses, four eyeshadows, three kohl powers, one nail lacquer, and then a few repromotes of permanent items. It reminds me a bit of last year’s Chill Collection.
I’m going to focus on reviewing the four eyeshadows and three kohl powers in this post, with a follow-up post on the lipsticks and lipglasses, and a final post on the nail lacquer–so stay tuned!
- Love Lace is a dusty darkened blue with a slightly shimmered finish (it is a veluxe pearl, after all) with a very smooth, soft feel. It’s decently pigmented. This reminded me of a more muted Deep Truth kind of shade.
- Suave Intentions is an icy cool-toned medium blue with icy silver shimmer and sheen. If you had to, you might consider duping this with Tilt (which is a little more teal). This was the most pigmented shade of the four.
- Pincurl is a mauvey-gray with icy pink shimmer and sheen. It’s a repromote from Blonde, Brunette, and Redhead. It has a sort of dusty look to it.
- Hypnotizing is a darkened, smoked out mauve-plum with a touch of brown.
- Feline is an intense black.
- Raven is a deep burgundy with black pearl.
- Sense of Style is a darkened blue-teal with blue and teal shimmer. It’s much bluer than Mystery kohl power.