Olive Green Eyeliners: MAC Black Karat, MAC Black Line, MAC Buried Treasure,
MAC Rosemary & Thyme, MAC Uniform, MUFE #5L, Stila Moray, shu uemura ME Khaki 09,
UD Stash, bareMinerals 10AM, TT Sparkling Ammunition, Chanel Khaki Dore,
Shiseido Black Sand, BB Hunter, D&G Stromboli
Olive Green Eyeliners: Your Guide
You might think that the color I have the most shades for is olive green, but you would be wrong, even though there are quite a few! The nice thing here is that we have more than a few dupes/similarities. I like that, because then you can select based on what formula works best for you and still get the shade you want.
- MAC Black Karat is a brownish-black with an olive-brown tone and gold shimmer. (LE)
- MAC Black Line is a black with brown undertones and an olive green shimmer. (LE)
- MAC Buried Treasure is a cool-toned brown with olive green shimmer. It is a little darker than MAC Uniform.
- MAC Rosemary & Thyme is a light-medium olive green with green shimmer. It is similar to MUFE #5L (darker) and shu uemura ME Khaki 09 (less sparkle).
- MAC Uniform is a cool-toned brown with olive gold shimmer. It is slightly lighter than MAC Buried Treasure.
- Make Up For Ever #5L is an olive green with a soft sheen. It is a touch darker than MAC Rosemary & Thyme and shu uemura ME Khaki 09.
- Stila Moray is a darkened olive green with an olive brown shimmer/sheen. It is a bit greener compared to UD Stash but not as green as bareMinerals 10AM.
- shu uemura ME Khaki 09 is a warm olive green with brown undertones. It is a touch darker than MAC Rosemary & Thyme but lighter than MUFE #5L.
- Urban Decay Stash is a darkened olive green with a subtle sheen. It is browner than Stila Moray and bareMinerals 10AM.
- bareMinerals 10AM is an olive green with strong green pigmentation compared to the other shades here. It is greener than Stila Moray, UD Stash, and TT Sparkling Ammunition.
- Tarina Tarantino Sparkling Ammunition is a darkened olive green with subtle shimmer. It is a bit lighter than Stila Moray but greener than UD Stash and browner than bareMinerals 10AM.
- Chanel Khaki Dore is a warm-toned, olive brown with gold sheen.
- Shiseido Black Sand is a green-tinged black with gold shimmer.
- Bobbi Brown Hunter is a green-tinged black–against all these other eyeliners, it is so, so dark.
- Dolce & Gabbana Stromboli is a deep black with olive shimmer.
TEMPTALIA PICKS: #6 (quality, pigmentation), #7 (pigmentation), #9 (longevity, quality), #11 (quality, pigmentation)
Behind-the-Series: It was my intention to provide heavy, opaque swatches to provide an accurate color comparison. Some eyeliners required one pass, some required five, and a few even more. When possible, the shade name (above) is linked to the original review so you can read more about the quality, wear, etc. of a particular eyeliner. If we’ve never done a review, there will be no link. Shades that were limited edition will be marked with “(LE)” and shades that were discontinued will be marked with “(DC)” after the color description. You can also find all comparisons on The Dupe List.
What’s your favorite Olive Green Eyeliner? How do you like to use it?
MAC To the Beach Look: Gold & Green
I had ten minutes to do my makeup from start to finish, and this is what I ended up with! I’m pretty satisfied with the results — I went with a combo that I’m sure I’ve done before, but I used some of the newer MAC To the Beach shades. As suspected, though, Get-Away Bronze looks better in person than in photographs! Also, a note to those who own Going Bananas eyeshadow–use that instead of the Nylon/Bright Sunshine combo I did–’cause that’s really all I was trying to dupe!
The whole look felt so summery, despite the weather being all gloom and doom this afternoon, but I always seem to enjoy more summer-inspired looks myself. Maybe ’cause they’re warmer! (By the way, what’s up Bay Area weather? It was beautiful this morning… rainy this afternoon!)
P.S. — Thanks for all the Mellan love! He’s been strutting around the house all day saying what a stud he is. Anyway, it’s nice to know that I can share some of the bajillion photos I take of him with all of you from time to time
You will need the following…
- Eyes: Urban Decay Eden Primer Potion (neutral base), MAC Nylon Eyeshadow (white-gold), MAC Bright Sunshine Eyeshadow (shimmering yellow), MAC Sweet & Punchy EyeshadowMAC Humid Eyeshadow (yellowed chartreuse), (dark green), MAC Rosemary & Thyme Eye Kohl (olive green), Fresh Supernova Mascara (black)
- Face: Make Up For Ever HD Foundation (140), Laura Mercier Loose Setting Powder (translucent)
- Cheeks: MAC Get-Away Bronze Blush (frosty bronze)
- Lips: MAC Thrills Lipstick (copper rose), MAC Flurry of Fun Lipglass (sheer tangerine)
- Brushes: 249 (flat, firm brush), 239 (fluffy shadow brush), 226 (fluffy crease brush), 219 (pointed crease brush), 116 (dense blush brush)
- Substitutes: Sweet & Punchy = Sour Lemon; Get-Away Bronze = Format; Thrills = La Prairie Rose Bronze; Flurry of Fun = Love Nectar + Reflects Transparent Teal
For eyes, start by applying Eden primer potion as your eyeshadow base all over the eye area with the 249. Using the 239, apply Nylon eyeshadow on the inner third of the lid, and then overlay with Bright Sunshine eyeshadow to give a pale yellow effect. Next, apply Sweet & Punchy eyeshadow with the 239 to the outer two-thirds of the lid. With the 226, apply Humid eyeshadow into the crease with the 226, lightly blending outwards and upwards to fade to the brow bone. Blend Nylon eyeshadow with the crease shade and highlight the brow bone. Bring everything together by applying Rosemary & Thyme eye kohl on the lower lash line. Finish by sweeping lashes with Supernova mascara.
For cheeks, apply Get-Away Bronze blush to the apples of the cheeks and sweep upwards towards the temple with the 116.
For lips, apply Thrills lipstick first, and then layer Flurry of Fun lipglass for a complementing lip.
MAC Eye & Lip Pencils
MAC To the Beach Collection — Eye Kohls & Lip Pencils Review, Photos, Swatches
To the Beach also sees the introduction of two limited edition lip pencils and one limited edition eye kohl (plus a repromote of a permanent shade). I liked both of the Eye Kohls, but I found the Lip Pencils to have a bit of a rough texture, even after heavily swatching them to smooth down the point.
- Rosemary & Thyme is a gilded olive-green with an antique gold sheen. This is a permanent shade, but a gorgeous color to own if you love wearing neutrals, metallics, or greens.
- Float on By is an aqua sea-blue with a silverish-metallic blue sheen. I love the color, but I feel like if you own the majority of UD’s 24/7 liners, you probably have this already.
- Life’s a Breeze is a soft medium pink with yellow undertones. It can be difficult to find really awesome lip pencils that suit your natural tone, and I have to say finding a great warmer pink can be more challenging as well.
- Temperature Rising is a bright, neon orange. This is totally construction cone orange to me.
Edited: Review for wear added, now that I’ve had several hours to wear these…
The Eye Kohls wear okay, but they’re not immovable. I don’t, generally, have major issues with eyeliners fading or smudging on me, but I find these fade a bit by hour three. I think those more prone to smudged eyeliner will find the kohls a little more difficult to work with–unless you set with sealer or powder, then they stay put. As far as the Lip Pencils go, those were just fine. They stayed in place, did their job (helping lipstick adhere to your lips, defining lips, etc.).