How to Wear MAC In the Gallery Eyeshadow Quad
MAC’s In the Gallery Eyeshadow Quad (see review, swatches, and photos here) is a purple-themed eyeshadow palette. The quad contains these shades: Lightfall (dusty, gray-lilac); Look at the Eyes (iridescent silver-purple); In the Gallery (eggplant); and Private Viewing (dark burgundy-wine).
- Inner Lid: Lightfall
- Outer Lid: Look at the Eyes
- Crease: In the Gallery
- Brow: Lightfall
- Cheek: The Perfect Cheek
- Lip: Hold the Pose, On Display
See more combinations… Continue reading →
MAC Makeup Art Cosmetics Collection — In the Gallery Eyeshadow Quad
As envisioned by Richard Phillips, three eyeshadow quads were developed for the upcoming MAC Makeup Art Cosmetics Collection. This post will focus on In the Gallery Eyeshadow Quad!
Private Viewing Eyeshadow Quad ($36.00)
- Lightfall is an extremely sheer, satiny pale pink with lavender. If you have anything beyond a pale skin tone, this color is going to take work to show up. I couldn’t use a brush or a finger to swatch–I had to use a sponge-tip applicator and really dig into the color and layer it over five times to get the color to show up as it does in the swatch below. I was not pleased to say the least! Over a base, I imagine a little less work would be necessary, but that’s true for every color.
- Look at the Eyes is a shimmery silvery-puprle with light silver-pink shimmer. It has a frost finish, but it doesn’t appear overly frosty. This reminded me a bit of Beautiful Iris eyeshadow.
- In the Gallery is a matte eggplant-purple–reminded me a bit of Fig. 1 eyeshadow, though it’s not ultra pigmented and can be a bit chalky when applying.
- Private Viewing is a plummy, red-brown. It is also matte, like In the Gallery, but it doesn’t feel as chalky. It could be smoother–more like Matte2s, IMO. This felt like a more purple Sketch eyeshadow to me.
This is a true purple quad–every color is tinted with it. I like the way the colors match each other, and I think you can get several different color combinations out of this quad. I’ve always been a fan of MAC’s quad packaging, because you get the ease and slimness of palettes, but you can see through the lid, too, which is always nice if you’re guilty of owning a few too many quads like myself! It’s not the most original set of shades, but they work well together. Because the two matte eyeshadows do have some drag, and Lightfall requires far too many layers to show up, I wouldn’t put this on my must-have list.
- Product: 6/10
- Value: 8/10
- Ease of Use: 7/10
- Packaging: 9/10
Recommendation: If you’re all about purple eyeshadows, you should certainly check this quad out, since it is ALL about purples! Just make sure you have a good eyeshadow base if you become an owner of one of these, because the shadows don’t work so well without one.
Availability: MACCosmetics.com (August 20th), MAC stores
See up-close photos and swatches… Continue reading →