Just Add Colour Lipglass (note, sample packaging)
MAC Prep for Colour Collection
The Prep for Colour Collection is a short and sweet collection. I’m not even sure why they bothered with any color cosmetics, and I could have gone for repromotes of great permanent neutrals, too — just because MAC does have a great neutral range. The collection includes one lipglass ($14), three eyeshadows ($14.50), Prep + Prime Skin Brightening Serum ($40), Prep + Prime Face Protect SPF 50 ($30), and Prep + Prime Fortified Skin Enhancer SPF 35/PA+++ ($30). I don’t have photos of Prepped for Glamour Eyeshadow yet, which I will purchase when it launches in-store on Thursday (so check back then!).
- Hey Eyeshadow is is a gilded beige-champagne with a touch of peach. It was a very shimmery, frosty finish. For reference, it is a veluxe pearl finish, though! This is a repromote from Fafi, but I know a lot of you love this shade.
- Sorcery Eyeshadow is a burgundy-brown with a satin finish–it’s not entirely matte, but it’s not overly shimmery, either. It has more of a satin sheen. It reminded me of a a lighter version of Sketch.
- Prepped for Glamour Eyeshadow is a darkened chocolate brown with a taupe edge to it. It’s sheerer and lighter than Satin Taupe, but it also has less of a frosty sheen. Pretty, but if you already have Satin Taupe, you could probably skip this.
- Just Add Colour Lipglass is a reddened, dark fuchsia pink with fuchsia-pink shimmer. It’s a frost finish lipglass, and though my sample comes in a square tube, online shows it in a regular lipglass tube, so don’t buy because it’s square :) It’s a very pigmented, color-rich gloss–so if you’ve always wanted a darker pink than Pink Poodle but still very intense, this might be it.
- Prep + Prime Brightening Serum is a clear, slightly watery liquid that pumps out. It’s hard to describe — it’s cool and thin, and it absorbs into skin quite quickly. I haven’t used it long enough to really be able to tell you about results, but I can at least tell you about the consistency! Hopefully will have more for you later on in April…
There are no must-haves in this collection from me. While all the color products in this launch are high quality and well-pigmented, they’re not necessarily must-haves. Hey is the closest to a must-have, but I think you could easily substitute All That Glitters, Gleam, or Retrospeck in its place. Sorcery is too similar to Sketch and Beautymarked, while Prepped for Glamour is quite similar to Satin Taupe. Just Add Colour Lipglass is pretty, but again, just doesn’t strike me as a must-have. You can’t go wrong with any of the four, so this is more of a “there’s nothing super-duper original or so awesomely pigmented you have to get it” kind of a review.
Skip if you have…
- Skip Hey if you have All That Glitters, Gleam, or Retrospeck (unless you use these 24/7, then you’ll probably love Hey!).
- Skip Sorcery if you have Sketch or Beautymarked, particularly if you don’t use those very often.
- Skip Prepped for Glamour if you have Satin Taupe, unless you’ve always secretly wanted Satin Taupe but didn’t like how frosty it was.