M·A·C COSMETICS NAIL TREND F/W ’09 COLLECTION Q&A WITH JIN SOON CHOI
Q: M·A·C and Jin Soon – it feels like such a natural match for your first-ever brand collaboration. How did the collaboration come about?
A: It was important to me to partner with a brand that embraced bold trend-driven colours and had a strong tie to fashion – and M·A·C is all about that. From the beginning with M·A·C, everything flowed naturally, and there was a real connection in the development of this collection. As soon as we started working together, I was able to unleash my vision and really express myself through these fashion-forward colours. M·A·C really got the direction I was going in and encouraged me throughout the whole process.
See more Q&A… Continue reading →
MAC Nail Trend F/W 09 — Jin Soon Choi for MAC
U.S. Launch Date: August 27th, 2009
International Launch Date: September 2009
Backstage and front row, nail trend has arrived! More than a colour statement, an of-the-moment approach that dazzles with innovation and style. How to do it? Enter Jin Soon, much-sought-after nail guru, who has worked the shows and with the best celebs, collaborating with us to create six nail colours exclusively for MAC.
“There are thousands of sheer and natural colors. It’s time tob e surprising, revolutionary, edgy. Inspired by architecture, these are colors you’ll now dare to wear.” — Jin Soon
Nail Lacquers ($12.00 U.S. / $15.50 CDN)
- Cool Reserve Mid-tone grey lavender
- For Fun Rich purple
- Dance All Night Brick red
- Rich Dark Delicious Rich blackened brown
- Dry Martini Khaki olive green
- Beyond Jealous Blackened blue green
Collection also includes Overlacquer ($12.00 U.S. / $15.50 CDN) and Underlacquer ($12.00 U.S. / $15.50 CDN).
Availability: August 27th, 2009 at all MAC Locations in North America. September 2009 for international MAC locations.
See promo photos… Continue reading →
Sneak Peek: MAC Cosmetics Nail Trend F/W ’09 by Jin Soon Choi
Debuting next Thursday with six different shades (see full color story here), we had a chance to try out two shades: Rich, Dark, Delicious and Dance All Night.
Nail Lacquer ($12.00 U.S. / $15.50 CDN)
- Rich, Dark, Delicious is a deep dark chocolate black-brown that runs a little neutral-cool and has nearly imperceptible flecks of shimmer. I can only see the shimmer if I look really hard in sunlight, otherwise it appears mostly as a creme. Two coats made it opaque with no application issues.
- Dance All Night is a rich, blood red that goes on nearly opaque with two coats. I do recommend using three thinner coats with this particular shade, because I found medium to thick coats to be a bit overwhelming. This one is all creme–no shimmer whatsoever–and is quite fitting it is so.
I don’t think I own any shades similar to Rich, Dark, Delicious, so it is actually an interesting color in my stash. It’s not quite black, but it’s not brown either, and I surprisingly like it agains tmy skin tone. Dance All Night feels less innovative, but it’s still a nice shade and wearable during the fall. The formula feels slightly thicker, creamier, and it was easier to apply. I’ve personally not have any problems applying MAC polishes nor with how they wear. I always use Zoya’s Color Lock system for my base, top, and drying coats, for reference.
- Product: 8/10
- Value: 8/10
- Ease of Use: 7/10
- Packaging: 7/10
- Overall: 8/10
Recommendation: Nail polish fanatics hoping for an improved MAC formula might find in the latest lacquers created by nail guru Jin Soon Choi!
Availability: MAC Cosmetics (August 27th)
See swatches… Continue reading →