If you were using MAC My Dark Magic Eyeshadow?, what look would you create with it?
What shadows would you use? What would you use on cheeks? Anything added to the lips? Create a look using whatever you want, as long as you include today’s look book product!
Did you come up with a look you’d like to share featuring today’s product? You can link to your images, embed your images using HTML, or you can submit your images via e-mail to share them with readers to help give them inspiration on how to use the product!
Look: MAC Venomous Villains – Maleficent
I used all of the mineralize eyeshadows wet, and these photos were taken at least a half hour after applying (do you know how terrible I am at applying lashes?!), so the color stayed quite vibrant well after they dried. I went for a greasepaint stick as a base, as I felt like it might be a little tacky and keep fall out to a minimum (true!). Half lashes look so wonky so close-up – because you can see clearly where the lash ends and the natural lash begins, but at a normal viewing distance, I think they worked really well. More drama but not the heaviness of a full lash!
And yeah, I paired bold eyes with bold lips. Don’t you think that’s what Maleficent would have done?
You will need the following…
- Eyes: MAC French Quarter Greasepaint Stick (dirty, dark antique gold), MAC She Who Dares Mineralize Eyeshadow Duo (blackened forest/emerald green), MAC My Dark Magic Mineralize Eyeshadow Duo (blackened purple, blackened violet-blue), Burberry Trench Eyeshadow (highlighter), Urban Decay Graffiti 24/7 Liner (grass green), MAC Nocturnal Superslick Liquid Eyeliner (metallic silver), Chanel Inimitable Intense Mascara, MAC Hello Kitty Lash
- Face: Make Up For Ever HD Foundation (140), Laura Mercier Loose Setting Powder (translucent)
- Cheeks: MAC Briar Rose Beauty Powder (pale pink)
- Lips: MAC Violetta Lipstick (fuchsia-purple), MAC Revenge is Sweet Lipglass (sheer, jelly fuchsia-pink)
- Brushes: 249 (flat, firm brush), 239 (fluffy shadow brush), 226 (fluffy crease brush), 219 (pointed crease brush), 116 (dense blush brush)
- Substitutes: French Quarter = Bobbi Brown Antique Gold Cream Shadow; She Who Dares = NARS Night Porter (not a great dupe); My Dark Magic = Urban Decay Purple Haze (layered over black) / Parfait Amour (layered over black); MAC Hello Kitty Lash = Sephora Flutter Lash; Briar Rose = Pin Swoon; Revenge is Sweet = Flashmode (not a great dupe)
For eyes, start by applying French Quarter greasepaint stick as your eyeshadow base all over the eye area with the 249. Spritz the 239 brush with a little water, and then pick up the emerald green side of She Who Dares and apply to the inner third of the lid. Repeat but apply the blackened purple side of My Dark Magic to the outer two-thirds of the lid. With the 272, lightly spritz with water, and then apply the violet-blue side of My Dark Magic into the crease, gently blending upwards. Blend Trench eyeshadow with the crease shade and highlight the brow bone. Line the upper lash line with Nocturnal liquid liner and lower lash line with Graffiti liner. Apply Hello Kitty Lashes on the outer half of each eye. Finish by sweeping Inimitable Intense mascara on lashes.
For cheeks, apply Briar Rose Beauty powder on the apples of the cheeks and sweep upwards towards the temple with the 116.
For lips, apply Violetta lipstick first, and then layer Revenge is Sweet lipglass for a complementing lip.
MAC Disney Venomous Villains Collection: Maleficent Review, Photos, Swatches
As we continue on, we move to Maleficent‘s (from Sleepy Beauty) “collection,” which includes two mineralize eyeshadow duos, two lipsticks, two lipglasses, one beauty powder, and three nail lacquers.
All of the character images are stamped on the products; they are not stickers. You can find official promotional imagery and color descriptions here. The collection launches on September 30th, 2010 at all MAC locations, October 2010 internationally, and approximately September 28th for online. You may also want to check your local store to see if they are holding an unveiling/preview party for the collection.
Lipglass ($15.50 U.S. / $18.50 CDN)
- Revenge is Sweet is a sheer, jelly-ish medium pink with fuchsia micro-shimmer. It has a very wet look to it but seems to settle into lip lines.
- Wrong Spell is a semi-sheer, burnt burgundy with pinky-plum and copper shimmer. I thought Liqueur was similar, but it’s much, much lighter and bronze, not burgundy.
Lipstick ($15.50 U.S. / $18.50 CDN)
- Violetta is a brightened fuchsia-violet with an amplified finish. This is a PRO color.
- Dark Deed is a darkened blood red with blackish-brown with an amplified finish. It’s a ever-so-slightly redder version of Media (but they are very close), and Dark Deed has a wetter/glossier finish.
Mineralize Eyeshadow Duo ($21.00 U.S. / $25.00 CDN)
- My Dark Magic is a duo that features a blackened purple with a frosty finish and a violet-tinged blue with a navy-black base. Young Punk (Style Black) has a stronger black base with more of a glittery finish than the shimmer finish of this product.
- She Who Dares is a combination of a darkened navy-black base with medium-dark blue shimmer and a dirty green and gold shimmered over a blackened, forest green base. The blue side does resemble Blue Flame (Style Black) with the finish being smoother in this product.
Beauty Powder ($25.00 U.S. / $30.00 CDN)
- Briar Rose is a cool-toned, blue-based medium pink. It’s kind of like a bubblegum pink to me–like perhaps Snob lipstick in blush form. It is also reminiscent of a less purple, less cool version of Pink Swoon–perhaps if Pink Swoon and Well-Dressed had a baby. It does apply rather sheerly, though it can be built up.
Nail Lacquer ($13.00 U.S. / $15.50 CDN)
- Bad Fairy is a stunning shade of duochrome polish that’s both ruby red, molten lava copper, and gold, depending on how the light hits it.
- Formidable! shimmers teal, blue, violet, and reddened purple, depending on the light. It is, however, a dead-on dupe for ORLY Galaxy Girl. There is nothing that I can distinguish as different between the two brands–formula feels the same, it wears the same. MAC may take just a minute longer to dry.
- Mean & Green flashes burgundy, green, and gold and is totally full of shimmer. It is a dead-on dupe for ORLY Space Cadet.