MAC Love Lace Look
Here’s a quick and dirty look using products from MAC’s Love Lace Collection! I managed to squeeze in all four of the eyeshadows that came out. Just an FYI, Blanc Type looks very, very subtle in real life — it’s not a very camera-friendly color (tends to look a lil’ on the chalky side) — ’cause whenever I use it, I can barely tell I have it on… until I take photos, of course, lol!
I ditched the lip products, because they’re really not up my alley (with all that sheerness, y’know!), and I went with two upcoming shades from Chanel’s Spring collection instead. And the lips are the BEST PART ABOUT THIS LOOK. Seriously. Amazing!
I also opted for warmer cheeks and lips to warm up the cool-toned eyes, since I’m naturally warm, so it helped balance the look for me. You could just as easily swap in cool-pink cheeks and an icy, pinky lip, too.
You will need the following…
- Eyes: MAC Soft Ochre paint pot (neutral beige base), (dark blue), MAC Love Lace eyeshadowMAC Suave Intentions eyeshadow (medium blue), MAC Pincurl eyeshadow (icy pinky-silver), MAC Hypnotizing eyeshadow (smoked mauve), MAC Blanc Type eyeshadow (matte off-white), MAC Sense of Style kohl power (blackened blue-teal), Dior DiorShow Extase (black)
- Cheeks: MAC Springsheen blush (peachy)
- Lips: Chanel Delicieuse Rouge Allure Lipstick (soft coral), Chanel Futile Glossimer (sheer sparkling pink)
- Brushes: 266 (firm, angled brush), 226 (fluffy crease brush), 219 (pointed crease brush), 214 (smudge brush), 249 (flat, firm brush), 239 (fluffy shadow brush), 129 (dense blush brush)
- Substitutes: Love Lace = Deep Truth; Suave Intentions = Tilt; Pincurl = Vanilla; Hypnotizing = Shale; Sense of Style = Teal-o
Directions: Start by applying Soft Ochre paint pot as your eyeshadow base all over the lid with the 249. Using the 239, apply Suave Intentions eyeshadow on the inner two-thirds of the eyelid. Darken the outer third of the lid with Love Lace eyeshadow with the 239, gently brushing it into the lower crease. Next, define the crease by applying Hypnotizing eyeshadow with the 226. Lightly tap and brush Pincurl eyeshadow directly above the crease to soften. To finish the eyeshadow look, sweep Blanc Type eyeshadow as a highlighter on the brow bone. Bring everything together by applying Sense of Style kohl power on the lower waterline, and then sweeping lashes with Dior DiorShow Extase mascara.
For cheeks, apply Springsheen blush to the apples of the cheeks and sweep upwards towards the temple with the 129.
For lips, apply Chanel Delicieuse Lipstick first, and then layer Chanel Futile Glossimer for a soft lip.
MAC Love Lace Collection: Eyes
Today, MAC released Love Lace–a week early (it was originally slated for release on the 26th–but my freestanding store confirmed that Warm & Cozy was still launching the 26th). It’s a short ‘n sweet launch, with just two lipsticks, two lipglasses, four eyeshadows, three kohl powers, one nail lacquer, and then a few repromotes of permanent items. It reminds me a bit of last year’s Chill Collection.
I’m going to focus on reviewing the four eyeshadows and three kohl powers in this post, with a follow-up post on the lipsticks and lipglasses, and a final post on the nail lacquer–so stay tuned!
- Love Lace is a dusty darkened blue with a slightly shimmered finish (it is a veluxe pearl, after all) with a very smooth, soft feel. It’s decently pigmented. This reminded me of a more muted Deep Truth kind of shade.
- Suave Intentions is an icy cool-toned medium blue with icy silver shimmer and sheen. If you had to, you might consider duping this with Tilt (which is a little more teal). This was the most pigmented shade of the four.
- Pincurl is a mauvey-gray with icy pink shimmer and sheen. It’s a repromote from Blonde, Brunette, and Redhead. It has a sort of dusty look to it.
- Hypnotizing is a darkened, smoked out mauve-plum with a touch of brown.
- Feline is an intense black.
- Raven is a deep burgundy with black pearl.
- Sense of Style is a darkened blue-teal with blue and teal shimmer. It’s much bluer than Mystery kohl power.
Light Affair Nail Lacquer
MAC Love Lace Collection: Light Affair Nail Lacquer
The final product I’m reviewing from MAC’s Love Lace Collection is a new, limited edition shade of nail lacquer. Light Affair is a creamy, pale gray with a touch of lilac/purple. It’s cool-toned, and it looks quite pale against my skin tone. I really just want to call it a lilac-y gray, but it doesn’t really have that much lilac in it. It’s an interesting shade–it’s a much, much paler and lighter version of Cool Reserve from fall.
Pretty Please, Intricate Lipsticks
MAC Love Lace Collection: Lips
I’m going to focus on reviewing the lipsticks and lipglasses in this post… Overall, I wasn’t too impressed — pretty underwhelmed with the shade range, and as “cool” as the concept is for Intricate/Utterly Discrete, neither was pigmented enough to show up well on my lips!
- Intricate is an ultra sheer plummy brown with multicolored shimmer. It’s quite sheer, even with many, many layers in a swatch. It has a very frosty finish.
- Pretty Please is a sheer, cool-toned, light pink with soft shimmer. This is a permanent shade.
- Utterly Discrete is a sheer brown-based gloss with multi-colored shimmer (with a healthier dose of pinky-purple shimmer). It’s very much a complement to Intricate lipstick. It looks very similar to Icescape on lips, sans the milky pink.
- Icescape is a sheer, milky pink base with brighter iridescent pink and purple shimmer. This is a repromote.
MAC Cosmetics Love Lace Collection
U.S. Launch Date: December 26th, 2009
Every couturier has forever had a fascination with the mysterious and alluring qualities of Lace. From Evita to Marlene Dietrich to some of the best-dressed of our red-carpet modern screen stars, it’s a long love affair. This salon-intimate collection is all about a dramatic, intense, smoky eye, with shadows that flash frosty grey to deep blue. Kohl Power is brought back for a limited time in favourite shades plus a new blackened marine blue. And naturally, 44 Lash adds the depth and desire. Lips stay pleasingly pale and Nail Lacquer in Light Affair adds a hint of danger. If ever there was a moment to do away with the winter doldrums and add some instant intrigue, this is it.
Lipstick ($14.00 U.S.)
- Pretty Please Pale pink pearl (Lustre) (Permanent)
- Intricate Frosted cool icy taupe (Frost) (Limited Edition)
Lipglass ($14.00 U.S.)
- Icescape Sheer pale pink with pink pearl (Limited Edition) (Repromote)
- Utterly Discrete Sheer frosted cool icy mauve (Limited Edition)
Eyeshadow ($14.50 U.S.)
- Pincurl Dusty white (Frost) (Repromote) (Limited Edition)
- Hypnotizing Frosted grey mauve (Frost) (Limited Edition)
- Love Lace Frosted mid-tone greyish blue (Veluxe Pearl) (Limited Edition)
- Suave Intentions Light frosted silver blue (Veluxe Pearl) (Limited Edition)
Kohl Power ($14.50 U.S.)
- Sense of Style Blackened deep marine blue (Limited Edition)
- Raven Intense red with black pearl (Limited Edition)
- Feline Rich black (Limited Edition)
Nail Lacquer ($12.00 U.S.)
- Light Affair Creamy pale grey taupe (Cream) (Limited Edition)