MAC Lightfully Bright Comparison Session
MAC Lightfully Bright Lipglass Dupes & Comparisons
As promised, here are comparison swatches for the four new and limited edition lipglasses from Lightfully Bright. These are sheerer shades, so they are easier to replicate, especially when actually worn, as their effect is subtle.
- ASTRO COOL is less pink in comparison to Lightning and Pas-de-deux, while it is a touch more lavender than She-Zam. They all look comparable on lips, with She-Zam being the closest.
- ATMOSPHERIC is similar to Like Venus, just slightly darker. It is also comparable to Rags to Riches when worn, as it is a darker pink, but it does have gold shimmer in it,so it isn’t as cool-toned. Frozen Dream is more pigmented and cooler-toned, while Lavender Wind is purpler.
- ETHEREAL is a slightly darker and more shimmery version of Chillin’, while it is a lighter version of Best of Breed. It looks more like Chillin’ when worn.
- OUTER SPACE is similar in color to Snowscene, but it is less milky in its base. Almondine has a similar milkiness but is more of a white gold.
MAC Lipglass: Astro Cool, Atmospheric, Ethereal, Outer Space
MAC Lightfully Bright Lipglass Swatches, Photos, Review
The Lightfully Bright Collection contains four skincare products (which I am not currently reviewing, since skincare requires 6-8 weeks of testing and I already decide on what to try 3-4 months in advance to plan accordingly) along with four lipglass shades. Each lipglass retails for $14.50 and comes in standard MAC packaging. The shades include: Astro Cool (light lavender with pink pearl), Atmospheric (pink with blue pearl), Ethereal (pale blue with pink pearl), and Outer Space (white with pink pearl).
- Astro Cool is a pale silvered lavender with flecks of white, silver, and pale lavender shimmer. It just looks like clear gloss with lavender and white shimmer on my lips–it does seem to mute my natural lip color a tad. It looks very similar to She-Zam Dazzleglass–slightly more lavender but hardly noticeable when worn.
- Atmospheric is a light, neutral pink with silver, white, and teal shimmer. Though I have no idea where mine went off to, it is completely different from the original Atmospheric from Blue Storm (’07). It looks like near-clear gloss with white shimmer on my lips. It is similar to Like Venus Dazzleglass.
- Ethereal is a pale, cloudy blue with pink, white, and teal-blue shimmer. It gives my natural lip color a cooler tone to it, while adding a lot of silver shimmer. It’s like a shimmery version of Chillin’ Cremesheen Glass or a lighter version of Best of Breed Lipglass.
- Outer Space is a pale, milky white with pink and white shimmer. It looks like a semi-sheer milky pink with white shimmer on my lips. This is the most pigmented of the four. It is similar to Snowscene. In the tube, it looks very white, but when swatched, there is a lot of pink sheen, so it is also a lighter version of glosses like Cultured, Docile,or Icescape Lipglasses.
As you can tell, these glosses are all quite sheer. They are great for those who want shimmer without much on lips or else as something to layer over lipstick. These are all cool-toned, so they will add some coolness and shimmer over any lipstick.
my thoughts on the formula: MAC Lipglasses are vanlla-scented, and they are typically thick and sticky. However, because of their tackiness, they do tend to wear better and longer (four hours for me). The Lightfully Bright Lipglasses seem like they have a finer shimmer, though I wouldn’t describe it as micro-shimmer.
If you want to know more about how products are evaluated, read out Rating System FAQ!
- Product: 27/30
- Value: 8/10
- Ease of Use: 4/5
- Packaging: 4/5
final thoughts: These shades are sheer, which makes them easier to dupe, because on lips, they look more like clear gloss with shimmer than anything else. (Usually, when you have more noticeable color, the nuances between colors can be more apparent, but with sheer, there is less to differentiate shades.) I kind of feel like for as cool as these names are (and the theme), I would have loved to see the shimmer play more with the light; perhaps more reflective or yield a duochrome finish/sheen.
where to buy: MAC Cosmetics
MAC Lightfully Bright Collection
U.S./Canada Launch Date: February 2011 (possibly online only)
Lipglass ($14.50 U.S. / $17.50 CDN)
- Outer Space White with pink pearl (Limited Edition)
- Astro Cool Light lavender with pink pearl (Limited Edition)
- Atmospheric Pink with blue pearl (Limited Edition)
- Ethereal Pale blue with pink pearl (Limited Edition)
Lightful Deep Ultramoisture Creme ($38.00 U.S. / $46.50 CDN)
Lightweight, gel-like cream. Provides a moisture-locking barrier for long-lasting protection. Instantly hydrates the skin for a smoother skin surface, and helps it look more luminous over time.
Lightful Active Softening Lotion ($30.00 U.S. / $36.00 CDN)
Hydrating, water-based lotion. Absorbed quickly into skin. Immediately infuses depleted skin with moisture. Leaves it feeling refreshed, soothed and soft with a more even-toned look.
Lightful Foaming Creme Cleanser ($24.00 U.S. / $29.00 CDN)
Soothing whipped creamy mousse cleanses and rebalances skin. Rinses quickly. Leaving skin feeling clean and comfortable…never stripped or dehydrated.
Lightful Charged Essence ($40.00 U.S. / $48.00 CDN)
Concentrated, lightweight, gel-like essence. Absorbed quickly into the skin. Helps it look and feel smoother, softer, brighter and more resilient.