MAC Mickey Contractor Look
This was a super quick look I threw together to test out the new Mickey Contractor collection (as well as have some something on for taking blush and lip swatches!). You can see how Ivy is sheer on the first pass!
You will need the following…
- Eyes: NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base (neutral eyeshadow base), MAC Jaan Eyeshadow (softened orange-tinged brown), MAC Vivah Eyeshadow (dark brown with gold sparkle), MAC Folie Eyeshadow (red-tinged brown), Burberry Trench Eyeshadow, MAC Ivy Fluidline (green), Urban Decay Perversion 24/7 Liner (black) Chanel Inimitable Intense Mascara (black)
- Face: Make Up For Ever HD Foundation (140), Burberry Pressed Powder (03)
- Cheeks: MAC Sur Blush (neutral pink-brown)
- Lips: MAC Yash Lipstick (peachy nude), MAC Lust Lipglass (rosy nude)
- Brushes: 249 (flat, firm brush), 239 (fluffy shadow brush), 222 (fluffy crease brush), 263 (angled eyeliner brush), 116 (dense blush brush)
- Substitutes: Jaan = Soft Brown; Vivah = Sable; Ivy = Urban Decay Graffiti; Perversion = Feline, Zero; Sur = Prism; Yash = Velvet Teddy
For eyes, start by applying Smudgeproof as your eyeshadow base all over the eye area with the 249. Using the 239, apply Jaan eyeshadow on the inner two-thirds of the lid and pull upwards along the inner crease. Lightly blend Vivah eyeshadow on the outer corner of the lid with the 239. Next, apply Folie into the crease with the 222, lightly blending onto the outer lid. Blend Trench eyeshadow with the crease shade and highlight the brow bone. Bring everything together by applying Perversion eyeliner on the lower lash line and Ivy fluidline on the upper lash line. Apply Jaan eyeshadow on lower lower lash line to brighten. Finish by sweeping lashes with Inimitable Intense mascara.
For cheeks, apply Sur blush on the apples of the cheeks and sweep upwards towards the temple with the 116.
For lips, apply Yash lipstick topped with Lust lipglass for a complementing lip.
MAC Athma Eyeshadow Quad
MAC Mickey Contractor: Athma Eyeshadow Quad
MAC Athma Eyeshadow Quad ($36.00 for 0.21 oz.) is new and limited edition from MAC Mickey Contractor. It includes four shades: Jaan (light neutral with soft gold pearl), Folie (reddish-plum brown), Vivah (brown with gold pearl), and Carbon (matte black).
Jaan is a peachy beige with soft gold sparkle. The pigmentation was nice, but I did experience some fall out when applying this on my lid. This has a lustre finish. It is a darker, sparkly version of Bamboo; or a lighter, sparkly version of Soft Brown.
Folie is a red-toned medium-dark brown with a soft, pearly sheen. It never swatches very nicely, but it is quite nice when used. This has a satin finish and is permanent.
Vivah is a lightly warmed up medium-dark chocolate brown with peach-gold sparkle. There was nice color pay off, but like Jaan, I did experience noticeable fall out. This has a lustre finish. It has a less frosted finish and less red undertones, but it is somewhat similar to Sable. It is a warmer, sparkly version of Courduroy. It also seems similar to Bobbi Brown Copper Sand (which I don’t own).
Carbon is a medium black. It works nicely to darken shades, even though it doesn’t swatch very well. It’s one of those better-in-practice mattes. This has a matte finish and is permanent.
I don’t typically like lustre eyeshadows, because the glittery bits are prone to ending up under your eye rather than on it, and these don’t do much to convince me otherwise. I recommend patting, rather than sweeping, on lustre eyeshadows, possibly with a damp brush for particularly fussy shades, to minimize fall out. If you do your eye makeup before your face makeup, then it will be easier to clean-up, too.
Initially, I thought this might be similar to Urban Decay’s Naked Palette, but there is not much shade overlap. They’re both neutral palettes, but there are not any direct dupes.
MAC Mickey Contractor will be available on January 6th at select North American stores and January 2011 for select international stores. It will be available online on approximately January 4th but may not be available until the 6th.
If you want to know more about how products are evaluated, read out Rating System FAQ!
- Product: 25/30
- Value: 10/10
- Ease of Use: 4/5
- Packaging: 4/5
FINAL THOUGHTS: With two lustres that did prove to have some fall out along with two permanent shades, I can’t comfortably recommend this eyeshadow quad, as much as I do feel these are very flattering, easy-to-wear neutrals. I’m happy that both lustres are rather pigmented and don’t also suffer from sheerness like some lustre-finish shadows do. (Please note that this product scores high on value, which boosts up the overall rating by a third of a grade.)
WHERE TO BUY: maccosmetics.com
This was a really quick Style Warrior look I put together the other day. I don’t think Night Manoeuvers is a very flattering color on me — at least in this pairing! I think I could wear it in a more gray/purple kind of look. I was attempting to only use Style Warrior products, so, there ya have it. Live and learn Never hurts to try.
You will need the following…
- Eyes: Soft Ochre paint pot (neutral beige base), Golden Lemon pigment (gold yellow), Bright Future eyeshadow (bright yellow), Tempting eyeshadow (chocolate brown), Folie eyeshadow (reddish brown), Night Manoeuvers eyeshadow (gray-purple), Soft Force eyeshadow (soft white-gold), Urban Decay Honey 24/7 Liner (gold), Plushlash mascara (black)
- Cheeks: Eversun beauty powder blush (orangey-pink), Dior Amber Diamond Skin Shimmer (bronze highlighter)
- Lips: Sunsational lipstick (peachy gold), Style Warrior lipglass (brown)
- Brushes: 266 (firm, angled brush), 226 (fluffy crease brush), 219 (pointed crease brush), 214 (smudge brush), 249 (flat, firm brush), 239 (fluffy shadow brush), 129 (dense blush brush)
- Substitutes: Femme-fi = Shroom; Brave New Bronze = Velvet Teddy
Directions: Define brows using a coordinating powder shadow applied with the 266 brush. Apply Soft Ochre paint pot all over the lid as the base with the 249. With the 239, apply Golden Lemon pigment with water-based mixing medium on the lower lid. On the inner lid, pack Bright Future eyeshadow on using the 239. Apply Tempting eyeshadow to the middle and outer portions of the lid. Darken crease with Night Manoeuvers eyeshadow using the 226, then deepen with Folie eyeshadow with the 219. Sweep Soft Force eyeshadow underneath the brow bone to highlight. Finish with Urban Decay Honey Liner on lower lash line. Apply Plushlash mascara on lashes. Sweep apples of cheeks with Eversun blush using the 129, then highlight with Dior Amber Diamond Skin Shimmer with the 188. Apply Sunsational lipstick to lips, and then top with Style Warrior lipglass for color and shine.
Check out more photos! Continue reading →