2N, Bait, Cult of Cherry, Emancipation, Flash of Flesh, Icescape
MAC By Request – Lipglasses Review, Photos, Swatches
MAC By Request is a collection that’s voted on by the fans–there are 18 shades of lipstick, lipglass, and eyeshadow that MAC has listed for grabs, and your votes will determine the top three from each product type that will go on to be launched in an online exclusive, limited edition collection in August. Voting is open and closes on March 30th and users can vote once per product category per day. Not sure where to cast your vote? I’ve got the goods on the six lipglasses up for a comeback! 🙂 These just arrived from MAC – all the labels just say “sample” on the back, so I don’t know if these were a recent production or if these were from original runs. I’m thinking they’re probably from short runs – perhaps just to ensure the colors could still be made or have the recipes ready to go into production as soon as voting is over.
- 2N is a peachy orange with soft white micro-shimmer. It looks darker swatched than it does on the lips, where it turns to a brownish peach with mostly opaque color coverage. MAC Ready or Not is similar but a little peachier. MAC Naked Space is lighter.
- Bait is a light-medium pink with multi-colored shimer and subtle yellow undertones. MAC The Wee Coquette is lighter, bluer. MAC Casual Air is a bit more plum. MAC Good Times is more mauve. MAC Pink Fade is bluer and a touch lighter.
- Cult of Cherry is a blue-based pink-red with shimmer with semi-opaque color coverage. MAC DRiven By Love is more opaque, deeper. Chanel Triomphal is a bit redder. Milani Photo Flash is pinker.
- Emancipation is pink-tinted beige with champagne shimmer. On lips, it tends to look like a milky pink on mine, but it depends on your natural lip color–this shade will definitely change based on the underlying tone of your lips. MAC Fresh Air is similar but a little lighter. Urban Decay Peroxide is similar but sheerer.
- Flash of Flesh is a pink and copper shimmered peach-orange. MAC Good Lovin’ is a little less pink and lighter. MAC Liqueur is several shades darker.
- Icescape is a icy pink with multi-colored shimmer. It’s semi-sheer on lips. MAC Going Casual has a similar effect.
MAC Lipglass is vanilla-scented, on the thicker side as far as consistency goes, and has a very tacky texture. It’s one of the stickier glosses on the market, though it wears three to four hours without a problem as a result, even some of the lighter shades. Some shades are very sheer while others are completely opaque, so pigmentation can be a mixed bag with this formula.
Of all the comeback products, I think the lipglass category was the most disappointing. Icescape? Really? I didn’t even know that was a big deal! I can see why some of these shades may have been popular, but you can see in the photo above–three of the lipglasses look awfully similar. Here are some shades I think would have made a big splash: Bizaarish (Smoke Signals ’07), Check Please (Tailormade ’05), Greenhouse (‘Fab Florals ’02), Headliner (Diana Ross ’05), Magnetique (Belle Azure ’05), Moonbathe (Moonbathe ’07), She Loves Candy (Hello Kitty ’09), or Tartlette (High Tea ’04).
I hope to do some comparison swatches over the next couple of days for the shades I do have the older/originals of. Of these, I don’t think I have Bait or Flash of Flesh but should have the other four.