MAC Wonder Woman Look: Defiance
Just because it can be made to work… doesn’t mean it is worth buying. I really had to pack on the color to get it to show, and there was some issues with blending, because the shades were so stiff. I maintain my recommendation of “no buy” to the fullest!
You will need the following…
- Eyes: NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base (neutral eyeshadow base), MAC Defiance Eyeshadow (pale frosted pink), MAC Paradise Island Eyeshadow (petal pink), MAC Star Studded Eyeshadow (plummed pink), MAC Real Drama Eyeshadow (burgundy brown), Burberry Trench Eyeshadow, Urban Decay Perversion 24/7 Liner (black), MAC Victorious Opulash Mascara (purple)
- Face: NARS Sheer Glow Foundation (Punjab), Burberry Pressed Powder (03)
- Cheeks: MAC Mighty Aphrodite Blush (peach-pink)
- Lips: MAC Spitfire Lipstick (dark pink), MAC Wonder Woman Lipglass (red)
- Brushes: 249 (flat, firm brush), 239 (fluffy shadow brush), 222 (fluffy crease brush), 263 (angled eyeliner brush), 116 (dense blush brush)
- Substitutes: Defiance = Vanilla pigment; Paradise Island – Pen ‘n’ Pink; Star Studded = Fig. 1; Real Drama = Sketch; Mighty Aphrodite = Deep Throat; Spitfire = Up the Amp + Girl About Town; Wonder Woman = Russian Red
For eyes, start by applying Smudgeproof as your eyeshadow base all over the eye area with the 249. Using the 239, apply Paradise Island eyeshadow on the inner half of the lower lid. Lightly blend Star Studded eyeshadow onto the outer third of the lid and crease with the 222. Apply Defiance eyeshadow on the inner tear duct and crease with the 239. Blend Trench eyeshadow with the crease shade and highlight the brow bone. Bring everything together by applying Perversion on the lower lash line. Finish by sweeping lashes with Victorious Opulash mascara.
For cheeks, apply Mighty Aphrodite blush on the apples of the cheeks and sweep upwards towards the temple with the 116.
For lips, apply Spitfire lipstick first, then layer Wonder Woman lipglass for a complementing lip.
Eyeshadow Comparison “Session”
MAC Wonder Woman: Eyeshadow Quad Comparisons & Dupes
Here are swatch comparisons for the three eyeshadow quads from the collection… If it is not included in here, it is most likely because I do not own it.
- DEFIANCE is a lot pinker in comparison to Vanilla, while it is more comparable to Pink Opal under natural light (but less so with flash; Pink Opal reflects more and looks whiter). Ego is pinker.
- PARADISE ISLAND is a little cooler-toned than Pink Papillon, while it is pinker than Pen ‘n’ Pink, and less frosty than Urban Decay Sphynx.
- STAR STUDDED is lighter and less violet than Vibrant Grape, while it is significantly lighter than Fig. 1.
- REAL DRAMA is less red than Deep Damson, and it is slightly less red compared to Sketch, but it is fairly similar to the latter.
- LADY JUSTICE is just a less pigmented version of Forgery and Urban Decay Uzi. At the most, it is less bright.
- INSURMOUNTABLE is a shade I do not have a dupe of, and the closest I could find in my stash was Korres #42S, which is paler and frosty. I’m not saying there are no dupes (check the review–I listed some that I do not own), just that I couldn’t find anything I own that is.
- BOLD BABE is more muted than Houglass Prism and Love Lace, both appear bluer. Dandizette is a richer blue and not really a dupe.
- MANILA PAPER is just a smidgen whiter in comparison to Nylon, but they are very, very similar. Creme de Miel is significantly yellower, while Rose Blanc and Soft Force are noticeably yellower though not as yellow as Creme de Miel.
- VALIANT is a paler, slightly yellower version of Juxt. Korres #44S is nearly identical–slightly greener. Metamorph is greener. NARS Sea, Sex, Sun is far too dark and green to compare.
- DIANA UNDERCOVER is less teal in comparison to Bottle Green, while it is greener than Femme Noir.
- SPINNING TRANSFORMATION is similar in the base color as Make Up For Ever #47, which is slightly greener and has no shimmer. Sumptuous Olive is browner, more metallic, but closest that I had. Hourglass Dune is much, much darker and not comparable.
MAC Defiance Eyeshadow Quad
MAC Wonder Woman: Defiance Eyeshadow Quad
MAC DEFIANCE EYESHADOW QUAD ($40.00 for 0.20 oz.) includes four shades of eyeshadow: Defiance (iridescent white pink), Paradise Island (soft warm pink), Star Studded (mid-tone violet pink), and Real Drama (dark burgundy with pink pearl).
- Defiance is a pale pink-tinged white with a iridescent pink flash. This is a veluxe pearl finish. It reminded me of Vanilla pigment.
- Paradise Island is a pale pink with subtle cool undertones. This is a satin finish. It’s like a satin finish Pink Freeze. It was a touch sheer.
- Star Studded is a berried plum with soft gold micro-shimmer. This is a satin finish. This shade was noticeably sheer. Fig. 1 would be the closest permanent dupe.
- Real Drama is a burgundy-brown with soft shimmer. This is a satin finish. It was a little sheer, though not as sheer as Star Studded. It is a little browner than Sketch.
I wasn’t impressed with this quad–three of the four shades were less-than-pigmented, with Star Studded being rather sheer. The texture wasn’t as soft or as silky as I’d like to see in an eyeshadow. I only liked Defiance, wihch had a beautiful, smooth application and even color pay off.
If you want to know more about how products are evaluated, read out Rating System FAQ!
- Product: 22/30
- Value: 8/10
- Ease of Use: 4/5
- Packaging: 4/5
final thoughts: This will complement cooler, paler skin tones. I don’t think it’s worth grabbing, because the pay off of the majority of the shades is really underwhelming.
where to buy: MAC Cosmetics